Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:13 AM

7 posts, read 7,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Every 21 year old want to move to CA and live by the beach. I have no idea why.

With and AA you won't have much luck landing a good job, sorry. Maybe if you move out with some friends you can hang around for awhile before going back home.
Really? My kids went/go to school while attending JC. None of them have had problems getting jobs. They are Cali born and raised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 11:52 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombo46 View Post
Since you're busy fighting over pronunciations and quotations, I'll bother to point out- it's San Luis Obisbo. Not San Louis.
Obviously a typo as I had typed it again, correctly, near the end. And when was I fighting over pronunciations and quotations? And by the way, it's Obispo.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombo46 View Post
Really? My kids went/go to school while attending JC. None of them have had problems getting jobs. They are Cali born and raised.
No problem getting jobs? Then they are lucky aren't they. CA born and raised is an advantage since they probalby know people and all...like my kids who also had jobs during college (part time, pocket money stuff). Oh, and the family is here too and that helps.

You can't deny that it would be difficult for someone to move here cold, at a young age and an AA degree, with no support network and get work that will support them. Why try?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:25 PM

277 posts, read 379,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Philly has been used for generations, Cali isn't used except by those who think it sound cool. Well it doesn't and no, not all your people use it.

Nita
Who cares how long "Philly" as been around, at some point somebody had to abbreviate it. As for Cali, I don't say that , I just think people like you are uptight and annoying. Who are you to say what is "cool" or not? Like you're some moral authority on what should and shouldn't be said. Get over yourself. Especially considering you don't even live here anymore.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Obviously a typo as I had typed it again, correctly, near the end. And when was I fighting over pronunciations and quotations? And by the way, it's Obispo.

Touche, you are, indeed, correct

Old 03-24-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
No problem getting jobs? Then they are lucky aren't they. CA born and raised is an advantage since they probalby know people and all...like my kids who also had jobs during college (part time, pocket money stuff). Oh, and the family is here too and that helps.

You can't deny that it would be difficult for someone to move here cold, at a young age and an AA degree, with no support network and get work that will support them. Why try?
I think it is difficult to move anywhere without a experience, education and/or contacts, and obtain a job that is sufficient to support oneself.

Shortly after high school grad, my daughter moved to Vancouver, WA. She roomed with a high school friend, whose family lived in Vancouver. She quickly learned that "three (part-time) jobs that pay minimum wage" are not sufficient to support oneself. She came home, went to SBCC (no business contacts), got a job at Jacks (Bagels on State St), then a PT, benefited job at Starbucks. She was a barista, until she moved to SF, then worked for a mobile phone company PT (24-30 hours/week, benefits). She is still in sales, has her undergrad now, and will be attending grad school. I did pay her books, tuition, and housing while she was in school.

I think, bottom line, that most college students will need the (financial) help of family or student loans in order to get through their Bachelor's. I worked in the medical field from 17 until I changed careers at 22. I was able to support myself, and pay for some education along the way. It took me many years to make my way back to higher education. I also think that the high cost of living in CA makes it more likely to need financial assistance. Depends on ones standard of living, though. It's about 450-600 to rent a room in, say, Santa Cruz or Davis (decent area, not far from school), and about 350-450 to rent a room in, say, Ashland or Portland (decent area, not far from school). There are more jobs in Davis, overall. Which is more affordable?

In consideration of your comment, updated advice to the "kid": Kid, you'l do best to have a marketable job skill, good references, and to canvas the job market before you leave home.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:00 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
By the time a mom who just came out of the theater watching Justin Beiber "Never say Never" thinks something is cool, it isn't.
You and I see it the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Cali isn't used except by those who think it sound cool.
Many times words lose their "cool" factor when they become too mainstream. Then the next generation quits using it and the word is only used by those who grew up with it. I've seen it happen over and over again with words from the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc.

So those using "Cali" may soon find themselves considered "old" and out of touch just like those who still use words/terms like "groovy", "the man", "boogie", "dig it", "wicked", "fly", etc. etc.

Walmart and Target are now using "Cali". Sears is using it too.

If a corporation like Walmart or Sears is using it to try to increase sales I hope that means the term has "jumped the shark".

I don't think a word can be acceptable slang when it now appears in a corporate chain's ads. Instead I think continuing to use it after that means someone is not current on the latest cutting edge slang.

I know when my slang started showing up in advertising I realized it was no longer "cool" to use.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:52 PM

51 posts, read 81,480 times
i appreciate the sweet feedback from a few of ya guys, good things to think about. for the rest of ya bein so critical...i dont even know lolzz

anyways im thinking of puttin the plan on hold and transfer to a 4 yr school ;/ , get that accomplished and go on from there. eh i have time to think about it. :b

Old 03-26-2011, 11:55 PM

76 posts, read 215,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
You and I see it the same way.

So those using "Cali" may soon find themselves considered "old" and out of touch just like those who still use words/terms like "groovy", "the man", "boogie", "dig it", "wicked", "fly", etc. etc.

I know when my slang started showing up in advertising I realized it was no longer "cool" to use.
Crap. You mean I can't say 'wicked' anymore????

Old 03-27-2011, 12:12 PM

115 posts, read 327,116 times
Was it not Mr. LL Cool J who said:

"I'm going back to Cali, Cali, Cali...hmmm, I don't think so"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California