Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times

Advertisements

These companies are getting a little too bold in their sense of entitlement. They've come to expect everything for free.

I agree with this lady...
Quote:
"We regret losing any business in Texas, but our position hasn't changed: If you have a presence in the state of Texas you are required to pay sales tax, just like any other business that has a presence in Texas," Allen Spelce, a spokesman for Texas comptroller Susan Combs, told the news service.
Amazon to Leave Texas over Taxes; California Might be Next
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 08:58 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Id agree with you. Although consumers love ordering over the internet from other states in part to avoid sales tax, it seems like an odd loophole.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:45 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,530 times
A presence? They have a "presence" all over the world. Besides, e-commerce businesses already pay internet tolls to the ISPs. Netflix gets hit hard by this.

Nothing like increasing the cost of doing business to drag down a recovery.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:46 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times
Amazon has over 15,000 affiliates in California and has threatened to pull out if they are forced to pay sales tax.

Either way, I could care less. California's Board of Equalization need to start enforcing the Use Tax on everyone, not just small businesses.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:32 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Amazon has over 15,000 affiliates in California and has threatened to pull out if they are forced to pay sales tax.

Either way, I could care less. California's Board of Equalization need to start enforcing the Use Tax on everyone, not just small businesses.
As I've stated before, have your taxes however you want them.. If people find a loophole, they are going to use it.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:29 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
I don't know what Amazons problem is. It's not like Texas has crippling Taxes. It's supposed to be one of the best states to do business in. I read that on City-Data.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:34 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
As I've stated before, have your taxes however you want them.. If people find a loophole, they are going to use it.
Bingo. Just ask California's firearms dealers who are being pounded by the BOE to collect taxes on firearms shipped in from out of state for customers that buy them through the Internet and have them shipped to a licensed FFL. It is legally the responsibility of the customer to pay the sales tax on that firearm on their personal taxes. The BOE doesn't care because they just want their pound of flesh and small dealers wont fight them because of the legal costs. Again beating up small business.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:44 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times
The BOE can and will penalizes businesses for failing to report the Use Tax during each calendar year. If a business doesn't report it, the BOE will make a rough estimate on the tax rate to be charged to the business.

The majority of merchandise I purchase from out of state for my business have already been paid in sales tax. The only exceptions are the orders from Amazon.com for general office supplies and electronics that are less 2,000 in total.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:15 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
It's a huge red flag that the entire tax structure need to be reorganized. We can't stop the future from happening or put the genie back in the bottle (RIAA, I'm talking to you). Trouble comes because we keep trying to do business the way it's currently being done in a world that doesn't fit the model anymore. Along the way we manage to make criminals out of people too...isn't that nice?

Old 04-02-2011, 07:05 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's a huge red flag that the entire tax structure need to be reorganized. We can't stop the future from happening or put the genie back in the bottle (RIAA, I'm talking to you). Trouble comes because we keep trying to do business the way it's currently being done in a world that doesn't fit the model anymore. Along the way we manage to make criminals out of people too...isn't that nice?
I used to hate the RIAA...until I started releasing my own music. But overall I agree with you. The world and the way we do business is changing and our tax structure most certainly needs to change or most of our population will be criminals due to antiquated laws and ways of doing things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: