Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:10 AM

5 posts, read 10,032 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My boyfriend and I own an illustration business out of vegas. Much of our business right now is traveling to CA for conventions (mostly comic cons) to promote and sell our artwork and get freelance work networking there. Since we're in CA so much we've decided to move there!

Things to consider:

1) money. Right now we are kinda poor, plus we prefer to save on rent as much as possible and spend our money having fun. lol. Although I think this will change soon, right now we have to find a place that has at least some cheaper apartments.

2) 30-40 minutes to some action! We want to be within driving distance to decent shopping, a variety of things to do, unique places to eat, art galleries, monthly festivals and events. I guess this means close or in a big city, but I'm not sure how big we need. I think a medium sized city would be ok.

3)Distance to conventions. We travel to San Diego, Los Angeles, San Fransico, Vegas, and phoenix reguarly. A city that is within 5 1/2 hours of as many of these places as possible would be best. But we are willing to give up one or two of those locations.

4) Scenery. How beautiful is it? We love both walks in beautiful/interesting downtowns and hikes in parks and wildlife.

5)Safty. Keep in mind that we live in one of the worse neighborhoods in vegas, so ANY step up from that is a plus. We know that with the prices limits we have, we may not be able to get the safest place in the world and still be close to anything cool.

Thanks for any help in advance guys! Also, we know it's not possible to find a place that scores an A+ on all of these factors (especially since 2,4, and 5 contradict #1), but we're hoping to find the best compromise possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 01:44 AM

181 posts, read 435,743 times
A 1 bedroom in a neighborhood where they wont chalk outline your body in 2 weeks will run you 1500 bucks a month, more if its in an area like Pasadena.

Gas will soon be 4.50 a gallon, you will need a lot, it takes you 2 hours to travel 15 miles by freeway.

You will be surrounded by those who don't speak English and don't care to and you will be treated like the outsider.

If you have kids you will need to send them to a private school or buy them bullet proof vest, riot shotguns and body guards (I'm an ex public school teacher and was for 13 years), some towns like Claremont have good public schools but a nice apartment there will run you 2000 a month.

The weather is nice up until July then depending on where you live you will run your AC 24 hours a day this ends in late Oct early November, it will cost you 300 dollars a month just for AC.

Tax's are sky high with sales tax being around 10% in some city's by the time you pay all your tax's and elevated fees you will spend 50% of your wages on supporting the state. My latest car registration fees were 472 dollars for a 2007 vehicle.

The standard of living here is utterly horrid if your not a millionaire, if your comming for the California dream...its dead, move on and don't look back. After you still move here and realize what a mistake it was you might want to look elsewhere..don't say I didn't warn you. If you still want to live the nightmare look out in riverside or the high desert for affordable housing, the gangs are just starting to move there so its not to bad

Last edited by DEADTIME; 04-04-2011 at 01:52 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 01:57 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTIME View Post
A 1 bedroom in a neighborhood where they wont chalk outline your body in 2 weeks will run you 1500 bucks a month, more if its in an area like Pasadena.

Gas will soon be 4.50 a gallon, you will need a lot, it takes you 2 hours to travel 15 miles by freeway.

You will be surrounded by those who don't speak English and don't care to and you will be treated like the outsider.

If you have kids you will need to send them to a private school or buy them bullet proof vest, riot shotguns and body guards (I'm an ex public school teacher and was for 13 years), some towns like Claremont have good public schools but a nice apartment there will run you 2000 a month.

The weather is nice up until July then depending on where you live you will run your AC 24 hours a day this ends in late Oct early November, it will cost you 300 dollars a month just for AC.

Tax's are sky high with sales tax being around 10% in some city's by the time you pay all your tax's and elevated fees you will spend 50% of your wages on supporting the state. My latest car registration fees were 472 dollars for a 2007 vehicle.

The standard of living here is utterly horrid if your not a millionaire, if your comming for the California dream...its dead, move on and don't look back. After you still move here and realize what a mistake it was you might want to look elsewhere..don't say I didn't warn you. If you still want to live the nightmare look out in riverside or the high desert for affordable housing, the gangs are just starting to move there so its not to bad

You make a good case for leaving California, altogether.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:58 AM

5 posts, read 10,032 times
Not looking for the california dream, whatever that is, and no kids so no worries there. Your post doesn't sound objective at all, so I really can't put much stock into what you are saying. I know for a fact that it's possible to find a decent cheaper apartment than that.

Plus, our business allows us to move whenever we want, so if we don't like it there, no big deal.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:06 AM

181 posts, read 435,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Tree View Post
Not looking for the california dream, whatever that is, and no kids so no worries there. Your post doesn't sound objective at all, so I really can't put much stock into what you are saying. I know for a fact that it's possible to find a decent cheaper apartment than that.

Plus, our business allows us to move whenever we want, so if we don't like it there, no big deal.
Yup don't listen to me Ive only had to live here for 13 years, I'm sure you know more and will just love it here. Get that cheaper apartment but get renters insurance and full insurance on your car.

Who do you think lives in those cheaper apartments? mostly section 8 cases who let their gang boyfriends hang out their.

You got it all figured out thogh so I'm sure I'm just totally wrong...silly me.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:19 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTIME View Post
Get that cheaper apartment but get renters insurance and full insurance on your car.

Who do you think lives in those cheaper apartments? mostly section 8 cases who let their gang boyfriends hang out their.

Two Tree, In have agree with Deadtime's statement above. I don't know what it's like in your area. Never lived in Vegas but in California, cheaper rent usually indicates trouble, sorry to say.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:39 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:

My boyfriend and I
having fun.
30-40 minutes to some action!
Las Flores!

Old 04-04-2011, 07:52 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
I would suggest going to the LA Forum for more realistic responses than you have received to this point. You might also try the San Diego Forum.

Good Luck!

Last edited by pacific2; 04-04-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 08:58 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,450 times
Quote:
Hello,

My boyfriend and I own an illustration business out of vegas. Much of our business right now is traveling to CA for conventions (mostly comic cons) to promote and sell our artwork and get freelance work networking there. Since we're in CA so much we've decided to move there!

Things to consider:

1) money. Right now we are kinda poor, plus we prefer to save on rent as much as possible and spend our money having fun. lol. Although I think this will change soon, right now we have to find a place that has at least some cheaper apartments.
What's your budget?

Quote:
2) 30-40 minutes to some action! We want to be within driving distance to decent shopping, a variety of things to do, unique places to eat, art galleries, monthly festivals and events. I guess this means close or in a big city, but I'm not sure how big we need. I think a medium sized city would be ok.
LA metro or the Bay Area. San Diego is pretty and fun but in terms of art, it's a little anemic although it does have Comic-Con. What kind of art, by the way? It seems these days, anything goes.

Quote:
3)Distance to conventions. We travel to San Diego, Los Angeles, San Fransico, Vegas, and phoenix reguarly. A city that is within 5 1/2 hours of as many of these places as possible would be best. But we are willing to give up one or two of those locations.
LA metro

Quote:
4) Scenery. How beautiful is it? We love both walks in beautiful/interesting downtowns and hikes in parks and wildlife.
Bay Area

Quote:
5)Safety. Keep in mind that we live in one of the worse neighborhoods in vegas, so ANY step up from that is a plus. We know that with the prices limits we have, we may not be able to get the safest place in the world and still be close to anything cool.
er ... how much can you tolerate?

Quote:
Thanks for any help in advance guys! Also, we know it's not possible to find a place that scores an A+ on all of these factors (especially since 2,4, and 5 contradict #1), but we're hoping to find the best compromise possible.
You should narrow down where you want to be. Although I think the LA metro is your best bet. All the best.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:31 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Howdy Two Tree .

There are many used RV trailers & 5th wheels for sale, at a reasonable price. (Look on Craigslist, Shopper Newspaper, local paper)
Move to Pahrump. Rent, to own, an RV lot with utilities, or live in an RV/Mobile Park.

Drive to your CA conventions, (drive an economical car) then go Home to Pahrump.

Pahrump, Nevada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best of Luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California