Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 01:45 PM

69 posts, read 199,989 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have accepted an entry level position working for the federal government . The position is back home in California. So in a few weeks my wife and I will be moving. I will be working in Santa Barbara 5 miles east of the SB Airport. We are excited but we have just come to realization that SB is not at all that cheap. Now I have become anxious. I am wondering can my wife and I survive in Santa Barbara these days in spite of California's wrecked economy on a modest salary to start.

She is a math/science teacher with 8 years of experience and also has her Masters. I have a BS in I.T. and I will be making about 35K to start. We will have to live off my salary until my wife can find a teaching position somewhere near by. We have visited SB often. I lived in Los Angeles previously; it was where I was raised. I know very little about what it takes to live in the SB area. I am need of some tips or advice on how to navigate renting in the area.

We have money saved up for the move. So that isn't the issue. We estimate that we will be able to afford a rental from; $1,200 -1,500 max for rent. I just need to know from locals will we be able to find affordable housing, be able to eat, and pay miscellaneous bills until my wife is able to start teaching? Anyone know how difficult it may be for my wife to find a teaching job there? Where should we focus on for affordable safe housing? An area that's safe and affordable would be nice, surrounded by markets and entertainment would be best. However, we are aware that list is probably asking too much of SB. We have been told by friends in California that we should look at Goleta or commute in from Ventura. Please help any words of advice from locals are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 01:49 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONLIGHTING View Post
I will be making about 35K to start. We will have to live off my salary until my wife can find a teaching position somewhere near by.

We estimate that we will be able to afford a rental from; $1,200 -1,500 max for rent.
How do you figure that?

Old 04-14-2011, 01:51 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
To get started, if it's just the two of you, you might look at the Extended Stay in SB. They often have monthly rates advertised on craigslist. It should be close to your budget while you go through the likely arduous process of finding a decent place to rent for your salary requirements. I think all the districts are laying teachers off, so, finding a teaching job is going to also be pretty rough.
Did you mean to say you'd be working 5 miles "west" of the airport? The airport is out in Goleta and going east brings you back in towards SB.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:56 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
your budget won't get you more than a 2br apartment or crummy little house no matter where you look. i'd just go with a 1br as close to your office as you can afford since traffic into the area can be bad. as for your wife finding a teaching job, that's highly unlikely. many districts are laying off teachers right now and there are lines out the door for the few available positions. private schools may be a better option to look in to, but probably not much better. good luck, you will need it!

Old 04-14-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
How do you figure that?
Wow okay maybe we should not move there is what youre saying?

Old 04-14-2011, 02:20 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONLIGHTING View Post
Wow okay maybe we should not move there is what youre saying?
Well I think that housing budget is quite high for your salary unless you're already planning to spend a certain amount of your savings each month. Maybe you can find a master bedroom in a house to rent until your wife can find a job.

Take $35k, deduct 30%, and divide by 12. That'll be pretty close to your take home pay every month. Its just over $2000. Its going to be really hard to live on what's left if you pay that much in rent. That is, unless you don't plan on eating, paying utilities, paying for gas, carrying car insurance, etc.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
To get started, if it's just the two of you, you might look at the Extended Stay in SB. They often have monthly rates advertised on craigslist. It should be close to your budget while you go through the likely arduous process of finding a decent place to rent for your salary requirements. I think all the districts are laying teachers off, so, finding a teaching job is going to also be pretty rough.
Did you mean to say you'd be working 5 miles "west" of the airport? The airport is out in Goleta and going east brings you back in towards SB.

Yes EAST is correct that was a mistake on my part. I apologize. Okay we are hearing mixed reports about teaching jobs. My relatives in LA all say that its SF and LA Unified School Districts that taking the hit on layoffs. My sister whom is a Director of an educational non profit says that its mostly bad teachers or teachers who teach things that aren't english, math, and science. Don't know how true that is for the SB area.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:27 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Seriously, SB is one of the most expensive areas to live. $35K just won't cut it. And, as others have said, finding a teaching job, will be impossible with layoffs and because of unions, they have to take back the teachers that were laid off first before any other hiring.

A $35k salary anywhere in SoCal will be a struggle. You really might want to reconsider. But if the Federal job holds something of a future for you and you don't have any kids to worry about right now, then it might be worth it to struggle along but you'd need to decide that. It might be worth trying if you don't have much to lose. Hard to say, not knowing where you are moving from. Buying a home in SB sometime in the future would be a real challenge.

Trust me, we all wish we could live in Santa Barbara

Old 04-14-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Well I think that housing budget is quite high for your salary unless you're already planning to spend a certain amount of your savings each month. Maybe you can find a master bedroom in a house to rent until your wife can find a job.
Well we have been told by friends that Goleta is close to where I will be working. Some have suggested Ventura. They say both areas would be cheaper. So we aren't stuck on SB. SB is just where I will be working.

Since I wont have to work weekends, its safe to say I will be working weekends part time at the local mall. Not totally against that but still wow! I wanted some stone cold facts, just didn't think they would be this bad.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Seriously, SB is one of the most expensive areas to live. $35K just won't cut it. And, as others have said, finding a teaching job, will be impossible with layoffs and because of unions, they have to take back the teachers that were laid off first before any other hiring.

A $35k salary anywhere in SoCal will be a struggle. You really might want to reconsider. But if the Federal job holds something of a future for you and you don't have any kids to worry about right now, then it might be worth it to struggle along but you'd need to decide that. It might be worth trying if you don't have much to lose. Hard to say, not knowing where you are moving from. Buying a home in SB sometime in the future would be a real challenge.

Trust me, we all wish we could live in Santa Barbara

Hahaha! I have lived many years in different areas of Los Angeles making much less than 35K. I was comfortable too. But I think I know what you're saying.

The Federal gig is the last stop for me I have served in the Army for about 10 years and currently work in Health Care. I have just finished school and we are looking to try coming back home. This opportunity came through after a year of trying. We aren't expecting it to be easy but we dont want to kill ourselves trying to make it work and we dont want to stress our folks out either in the process.

I do appreciate the advice please add any that you may have. We both will read each one with great attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California