Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:21 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Census takers do not differentiate between respondents based on immigration status, spokesman Tom Edwards told msnbc.com.
"It's a population count, so we don't ask about citizenship," he said. "They're just counted. We don't ask whether they're legal or illegal."
I wonder how different the count would be if people were asked.

New milestone: 1 in 6 US residents is Hispanic - US news - Life - msnbc.com

Old 03-24-2011, 11:34 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
I do find it humorous that people in towns named, San Diego, or Santa Barbara or Los Angeles or San Francisco, in a state named California, or Arizona, or Nevada, or New Mexico will complain about "them Mexicans taking over our: town, state, country.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
i do find it humorous that people in towns named, san diego, or santa barbara or los angeles or san francisco, in a state named california, or arizona, or nevada, or new mexico will complain about "them mexicans taking over our: Town, state, country.
lol

Old 03-24-2011, 11:58 AM

433 posts, read 1,619,335 times
San Diego is German for a whale's vagina actually.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:08 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
oh noes the mexicans are coming

Old 03-24-2011, 12:12 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,524 times
Quote:
I do find it humorous that people in towns named, San Diego, or Santa Barbara or Los Angeles or San Francisco, in a state named California, or Arizona, or Nevada, or New Mexico will complain about "them Mexicans taking over our: town, state, country.
So by that logic, there would be nothing wrong with French nationals coming over to occupy Louisiana, Illinois, Vermont, and Wisconsin, or taking up squatter residence in Louisville, Detroit, Des Moines, Saint Louis, LaFayette, Montgomery, Mobile or Eau Claire, I guess

Incidentally "California" and "Arizona" are not Spanish place names. Their etymology is obscure but most likely come from Native American sources.

Please note also, that the thread title takes an unfounded assumption from the title of the source link. 1 in 6 persons residing in the U.S. are of Hispanic origin. What percentage of them are Americans -- U.S. citizens -- is unknown.

Last edited by Brenda-by-the-sea; 03-24-2011 at 12:25 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Also, the thread title doesn't match the link. 1 in 6 persons residing in the U.S. are of Hispanic origin. What percentage of them are Americans -- U.S. citizens -- is unknown.
They mentioned that in the article and I pulled it out and quoted that part.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:40 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Incidentally "California" and "Arizona" are not Spanish place names. Their etymology is obscure but most likely come from Native American sources
Hogwash

Quote:
Sabed que a la diestra mano de las Indias existe una isla llamada California muy cerca de un costado del Paraíso Terrenal; y estaba poblada por mujeres negras, sin que existiera allí un hombre, pues vivían a la manera de las amazonas. Eran de bellos y robustos cuerpos, fogoso valor y gran fuerza. Su isla era la más fuerte de todo el mundo, con sus escarpados farallones y sus pétreas costas. Sus armas eran todas de oro y del mismo metal eran los arneses de las bestias salvajes que ellas acostumbraban domar para montarlas, porque en toda la isla no había otro metal que el oro.
Arizona, from the Spanish 'árida zona

Quote:
So by that logic, there would be nothing wrong with French nationals coming over to occupy Louisiana, Illinois, Vermont, and Wisconsin, or taking up squatter residence in Louisville, Detroit, Des Moines, Saint Louis, LaFayette, Montgomery, Mobile or Eau Claire, I guess
Of course not, land belongs to those who take it and hold it. Aside from Euskal Herria and western France it is hard to find anywhere on the globe where the people living there are the same people as were there a thousand years ago.

If the Mexicans are able to retake the Southwest, how could any American complain, since the Americans took it from the prior owners. If the French want to retake the middle states, and can do it, who is to complain, since it was taken from them, The took much of it from the Spanish, who took it from someone else who took it from someone else.

If the Brits want to and can take back the Eastern Seaboard, why not, since the Brits today are not the Brits of 1050 AD who were not the Brits of 400 AD, etc.

Seems to me the Mexicans are doing a darned fine job of retaking their stolen lands.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:45 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Quote:
Hogwash

Arizona, from the Spanish 'árida zona

Of course not, land belongs to those who take it and hold it. Aside from Euskal Herria and western France it is hard to find anywhere on the globe where the people living there are the same people as were there a thousand years ago.

If the Mexicans are able to retake the Southwest, how could any American complain, since the Americans took it from the prior owners. If the French want to retake the middle states, and can do it, who is to complain, since it was taken from them, The took much of it from the Spanish, who took it from someone else who took it from someone else.

If the Brits want to and can take back the Eastern Seaboard, why not, since the Brits today are not the Brits of 1050 AD who were not the Brits of 400 AD, etc.

Seems to me the Mexicans are doing a darned fine job of retaking their stolen lands.

Stolen lands? Give me a break. Oh, I see your reasoning: more wrongs make right. Nobody can dispute that there was lots of wrong doing in the acquisition and development of this country. However, nobody alive today had any responsibility in it. Hell, I'm white and I take zero responsibility for it and am not apologetic. My ancestors weren't even in this country until a few generations ago.

This is the United States of America. Period. It's not Mexico anymore. Period. It's our country. Corrupt conquerors have been taking over other peoples' lands since the beginning of mankind. Saying that people are basically just taking back what was rightfully theirs is just going to continue the trend and there will always be wars over land.

As far as Mexico goes, their leaders can't even get their own country in check and they squander their own natural resources. They have a useless and corrupt government and a system that makes it very difficult to for normal people to get ahead which is why they keep coming here.

Common sense would tell you though that if millions of uneducated workers with no real skills, overcrowd our already crowded cities and receive numerous benefits at taxpayers' expense, it will eventually implode our state.

But of course, now I'm racist. I just gave a pretty educated statement, but the typical narrow-minded liberals will now come out and say I'm racist. And for the record, does anybody notice that there's no uproar about the many Asian/Indian people who come to CA on work visas? Maybe that's because it's not really about race. Nobody objects to educated people who come here legally to work hard and make a living for themselves and are law-abiding citizens. It's not about race so much as it is the types of Mexicans that tend to come here. People can deny it all they want, but among the many hard working people coming here from Mexico, there are also many very bad people who also come over and feel they are above the law. And the fact that people are breaking the law in the first place shows that they have little disregard for our country. If the first thing somebody did in a new country was to break the law just getting in then at what point would they suddenly have regard for our laws? I think Americans and Californians specifically are just tired of the complete disrespect for our country.

Last edited by mstnghu2; 03-24-2011 at 01:06 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 12:52 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,214 times
Quote:
Do you know there are these people called Spaniards, that came from a place called Europe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California