Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 05:27 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,551,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Don't believe it for a second, folks. I have used my car ice scraper as much this winter as in any other place I've lived. And that includes this morning! Never before have I ever had to scrape my windows on the morning of April 29th until today.

Regarding the rest of your points, everyone is entitled to set their own priorities. And with a "radical" user name I would expect yours to be different than for many of the rest of us. If a social environment with virtually no standards of conduct is your bag, then you're definitely in the right place.
I haven't had to use my ice scraper at all in the years I've been in CA. Worst that's happened was the window was fogged up. You must be further inland.

For future reference, there's no need to take shots at people's usernames. This was one reason why I'm glad I left the Midwest...there were too many people that looked for petty things to get annoyed at someone by. (It happens here too, but not as much.) The part I agree with you is that everyone is entitled to set their own priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 06:05 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,745,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
I haven't had to use my ice scraper at all in the years I've been in CA. Worst that's happened was the window was fogged up. You must be further inland.

For future reference, there's no need to take shots at people's usernames. This was one reason why I'm glad I left the Midwest...there were too many people that looked for petty things to get annoyed at someone by. (It happens here too, but not as much.) The part I agree with you is that everyone is entitled to set their own priorities.
It was merely an observation....not a "shot". You wouldn't have chosen that name if you didn't want it to speak volumes about your point of view.

Everyone can and will draw their own conclusion based on their personal set of values. Those who want an "anything goes" sort of environment where everyone looks the other way from almost any behavior or appearance, no matter how bizarre, will resonate with you. Those of us who are tired of the decay resulting from same will put more credence in my viewpoint.

Internet advice is free, but no one has to take it.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
& when it's below zero outside and your saliva starts freezing to your mouth, the cheap cost of living doesn't seem worth it, either.

I realize it's not true for everyone. What I was doing was providing an opposing viewpoint to CrownVic95's post. If I made it seem like it's all rosy it's because he made it seem like moving to CA is going to be a mistake for all. There are two sides.

The other things you mentioned don't have to be problems, except for cost of living, which I agree is going to be higher here -- but many of us feel that you get what you pay for. Higher crime is not necessarily an issue -- San Jose and San Diego are consistently two of the safest cities and even LA/SF aren't more dangerous than most major cities in the US, even in the Midwest. Traffic -- yes, there's more of it, but in my experience, CA drivers are MUCH more polite and friendly than Midwestern drivers (except for maybe the very upper states, i.e. MN/ND/SD). Yes, it's more liberal here, and while it's true that they're not always right...it's not like conservatives are either.
nobody is saying any side is always right, I was just doing what you say you were doing, giving the other side and pointing out the mid-west is a very large part of the country. Of course the nothern most part has sucky weather in the winter but nice in the summer, the southern most part of the mid-west doesn't have winters like you are thinking of and there are many things to consider when re-locating:westher is one, but can become unimportant when other things do not work out. As for drivers, I am glad yo find them polite in Ca, I do not find that to be particularly true and it still does not make up for the horrible traffic in L.A., San Francisco, Sac, and San Diego for starters. I would think your user name does explain something about you, most user names do: if it means anything, again, Ca is a great place for you to reside.

Nita

Old 04-30-2011, 08:09 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,795,106 times
Not sure if you want this but you could work for the US government, who puts a preference on people who speak a different language. Japanese is an important international language so that is a plus for you. You could work for an international news agency(i.e. cnn). So those are some options, or you could find a company that needs your skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California