Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:18 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,978,614 times

Advertisements

JOBS LEAVING CALIFORNIA

Abraxis Health, a unit of Los Angeles-based Abraxis Bio Science Inc, opened a new plant that will create 200 jobs in 2010 -- in Phoenix. This follows the company's Phoenix expansions that occurred in 2007 and2008.

Alza Corp. In 2007eliminated about 600 jobs in drug R&D while also exiting its Mountain View, Calif., HQ. At the time the company said that its 1,200-person Vacaville facility will continue to operate. But the Vacaville Reporter on Oct. 23, 2009 revealed that the plant is being offered for sale by J&J, its parent company. It's unclear if more layoffs are in the facility's future.

American AVK, a producer of fire hydrants and other water-related products, moved from Fresno to Minden, Nevada.

American Racing moved its auto-wheel production to Mexico, ending most of its 47-yearoperation in California.

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 06-10-2011 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 09:24 AM

Government policies help booming Texas pull business from sinking California

The Wall Street Journal reports that Fujitsu Frontech, which recently announced it would leave California, became the 70th business to leave the state since January. According to Joe Vranich, a California business relocation expert, an average of 4.7 business are moving out each week.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:46 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,512,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Talk and cite articles all you want. Unless you've never been a small business owner that has faced hurdles and obstacles of the numerous, redundant state agencies -- you haven't a clue what you're talking about.
Been there. Done that. It was expensive, time-consuming and arduous!

Old 06-05-2011, 10:46 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,107,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Are Calif. businesses closing or leaving?
More than one in five (21%) of California small-business owners do not expect to be in business in California in three years, according to a recent survey by Small Business California, an advocacy group in San Francisco.
Firstly, Jan Norman is a partisan hack and shouldn't be taken seriously. Secondly, this doesn't support your assertion. Most small-businesses don't survive the first 5 years, so the fact that 1 in 5 thinks they are going not going to be in business in 3 years isn't that surprising even the state of the economy as a whole.

The article states that only ~350 or so gave more detailed responses (where you can determine if they were relocating or closing) and of those only 15% were planning to leave the state. Perhaps you should spend a bit more time actually reading what you post?

Anyhow, this is yet another post about how bad California is for business from people that don't operate, manage, etc businesses. The reality is that the vast majority of people you deal with when creating, growing, etc a business are going to be either local officials or federal officials, looking at the state as whole doesn't have much value outside of tax policy, etc.

Additionally, the entire notion of being "good for business" has little meaning in the first place. Different businesses benefit from different policies, there is no set of policies that are good for all businesses. In particular, the policies that are good for large corporations are rarely good for small businesses and vice verse. California has a climate that is good for start-ups and it shows, California attracts around 50% of the entire nations Venture Capital.

Also, if you look at the details, most businesses leaving California and/or expanding operations outside of California are businesses/operations that want to pollute or have large space requirements. In both cases California (especially coastal) isn't as good as some other states. Businesses can more friendly populate in states like Texas and they can build large warehouses, factories, call-centers, etc far cheaper.

Last edited by user_id; 06-05-2011 at 10:58 AM..

Old 06-05-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Firstly, Jan Norman is a partisan hack and shouldn't be taken seriously.
First off, you are attempting to demonize Jan Norman as a partisan political hack. This is typical liberal dirty tactics. I'm calling you on this. Show me proof or examples that she is a partisan hack.

Jan Norman is a small business columnist for the Orange Country Register. Here is a listing of her recent articles Archive Stories Jan Norman

I would say you are more of a partisan hack than Jan Norman.

Quote:
Secondly, this doesn't support your assertion.
It most certainly does support my assertions. You saying it doesn't does not make it so.

Quote:
Anyhow, this is yet another post about how bad California is for business from people that don't operate, manage, etc businesses. The reality is that the vast majority of people you deal with when creating, growing, etc a business are going to be either local officials or federal officials, looking at the state as whole doesn't have much value outside of tax policy, etc.
JAN NORMAN
Business Columnist, The Orange County Register

Jan Norman is an accomplished newspaper reporter, columnist and book author. She writes the column, It’s Your Business, in The Orange County Register. This column attempts to find solutions to problems faced by small business owners.

It’s Your Business is distributed internationally by Knight Ridder/Tribune News Service. You can find Jan’s work on The Register’s Web site, www.ocregister.com/business/iyb (http://www.ocregister.com/business/iyb - broken link).

Jan has been honored by the U.S. Small Business Administration with its coveted national award for journalists for her coverage of small business. Additionally, Jan has had the opportunity to present information to hundreds of business groups on entrepreneurial issues.

About Jan Norman

Quote:
Additionally, the entire notion of being "good for business" has little meaning in the first place. Different businesses benefit from different policies, there is no set of policies that are good for all businesses. In particular, the policies that are good for large corporations are rarely good for small businesses and vice verse. California has a climate that is good for start-ups and it shows, California attracts around 50% of the entire nations Venture Capital.

Also, if you look at the details, most businesses leaving California and/or expanding operations outside of California are businesses/operations that want to pollute or have large space requirements. In both cases California (especially coastal) isn't as good as some other states. Businesses can more friendly populate in states like Texas and they can build large warehouses, factories, call-centers, etc far cheaper.
This is total hogwash and a lame justification for supporting status quo. Do a little research, talk to some small business owners, open your eyes a little and you will see whats really happening in California. Business as usual will result in the downfall of California. The voters need to make the politicians accountable and responsible for fixing California's problems so we can start a real recovery.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:28 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,107,149 times
Quote:
First off, you are attempting to demonize Jan Norman as a partisan political hack. This is typical liberal dirty tactics.
No, I'm attempting to point out the fact that Jan Norman is a right-wing hack. Its not that I have a problem with right leading journalists, instead, just those that continuously and intentional mislead.

Quote:
It most certainly does support my assertions. You saying it doesn't does not make it so.
Really how? You stated that 1 out of 6 businesses are leaving California, the post by Jan Normal doesn't support that at all. The survey includes both people closing and those leaving, its entirely unclear from the article the percentage of small businesses that are actually planning to leave the state instead of just closing since most responses gave no details (and those that did, aren't random...).

This is not to mention this survey says nothing about actual closures and relocations, instead it tells you about sentiment. Right now business owners are more pessimistic than usual which translates into less optimism in future out-look.

Quote:
This is total hogwash and a lame justification for supporting status quo. Do a little research, talk to some small business owners, open your eyes a little and you will see whats really happening in California.
Feel free to show its hogwash, you see, unlike yourself I actually own a business in California and talk with and know many others that own businesses in California.

I'm really not sure what you mean by supporting the "status quo" in reference to my positions, there are a number of things I'd change in California. But none of them involve lower taxes, less regulation, etc. Instead, I'd like to see a different tax system (namely, higher property taxes), one that puts a bit more weight on folks like yourself. I'd like to see the state and local governments streamline and consolidate regulations. And so on... Oh...and not to mention a change in social issues. Legalized marijuana, legal gay marriage, etc.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:43 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,761,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Please.

All this talk about how small businesses are or are not thriving in California are just mindless bantering. To those who are not small business owners or have never even owned one in California -- you simply have no idea what you are talking about.

Cite articles and statistical facts all you want; they are not representative of what small business owners must go through.
We owned one and saw this train wreck coming 6 years ago when we fled CA. Brown will increase income taxes and every other tax he can to feed the masses. We paid way too much for workmans comp and our income taxes were heading upward as well. We also got sick of the "victim" mentality of our employees so off we went. The EPA has made it increasingly hard to develop which has slowed construction over the decades and made it more expensive build. The new "green" code will also add significant cost to housing. This cost is passed on to the consumer in the end. That said, I should also add that CA will always have wealth and will always attract a certain populous. It was one of the most beautiful states in the union and maybe someday will become one again. Not in my lifetime, but perhaps generations from now.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
No, I'm attempting to point out the fact that Jan Norman is a right-wing hack. Its not that I have a problem with right leading journalists, instead, just those that continuously and intentional mislead.

Really how? You stated that 1 out of 6 businesses are leaving California, the post by Jan Normal doesn't support that at all. The survey includes both people closing and those leaving, its entirely unclear from the article the percentage of small businesses that are actually planning to leave the state instead of just closing since most responses gave no details (and those that did, aren't random...).

This is not to mention this survey says nothing about actual closures and relocations, instead it tells you about sentiment. Right now business owners are more pessimistic than usual which translates into less optimism in future out-look.

Feel free to show its hogwash, you see, unlike yourself I actually own a business in California and talk with and know many others that own businesses in California.

I'm really not sure what you mean by supporting the "status quo" in reference to my positions, there are a number of things I'd change in California. But none of them involve lower taxes, less regulation, etc. Instead, I'd like to see a different tax system (namely, higher property taxes), one that puts a bit more weight on folks like yourself. I'd like to see the state and local governments streamline and consolidate regulations. And so on... Oh...and not to mention a change in social issues. Legalized marijuana, legal gay marriage, etc.
I have read multiple articles on business leaving California and TV/internet interviews from economist, business owners and politicians. The number of businesses leaving California per week is a range estimated by several sources.

You are a business owners and you don't want lower taxes, less regulation, etc?

Your credibility is questionable

I'm still waiting for your proof Jan Norman is a partisan or right-wing hack ...

Old 06-05-2011, 01:33 PM

407 posts, read 389,626 times
Putting aside whether businesses have been leaving the state or not, ask yourself: What tax rate would cause me to leave the state? 90%? 100%? Do you think there are others who have a lower threshold than you? Now look at the trend over time. In which direction are taxes moving, up or down?

Old 06-05-2011, 01:51 PM

From the Tax Foundation ....

California ranked 42 in 2006 on State Business Tax Climate Index. In 2011 we are ranked 49th.

2011 State Business Tax Climate Index (Eighth Edition) (http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/bp60.pdf - broken link)

Tax is not the only factor in the cost of doing business in California ... regulations, unions, insurance are among several other contributing factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California