Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:22 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
A month ago I had my keys hanging out of my front door lock for a whole night. I have all kinds of tools (mainly gardening) just laying on my front porch and in front of my garage and have had them there for the past two years. Never a one has been touched. Yet if this was the San Diego forum, you'd have plenty of people saying how dangerous my part of the county is - - despite statistics that show that much of California is safer than it has been in 40 years (much of the rest of the country can say the same thing).

So, yeah, I agree with your other post about the cultivation of fear. A 24-hour news cycle is great for that.

It's the tinfoil hat wearers/bunker makers who are afraid of crime that doesn't exist in the way that they imagine it that scare me the most.
Then when you got all your sh*t stolen you'll be the first to be on Channel 7 news w/ your mouth wide open : omg.... how could this have happened to me ... i lived in such a safe neighborhood ... oh me oh my....

and i'll be like :

I left my keys in my motorcycle just the same one night... I sometimes leave my wallet in my car because i put it on the console so as not to press in my seat... and sometimes forget to take it out...All mistakes on my part and I don't think.. Safe neighborhood.. I think, that was stupid of me... 3 months ago thieves broke into every car in our parking lot at my complex.. I live in mountain view... such a thing hadn't ever happened in my 3-4 years of living here. Sh*t happens.. just because its not today doesn't mean it wont be tomorrow. Safety and precaution aren't living in fear. They are living w/ your head not stuffed up your arse. If living w/ your head stuffed up your arse makes you happy then so be it .. you routine of not practicing safety/precaution is just as much a routine as someone who does. You get in the habit of doing it and you don't think much of it. But good job trying to think otherwise .. When you get chance drill out all your door knobs and live life on the edge.. i mean, according to you .. nothing will happen anyway.. why live w/ the burden of seeing a lock .. it is soo strenuous.. heck.. unhinge your door while you're at it.... be free from fear

This thread is soo full of idiocy its not even funny... Keep up the commentary.. this is highly entertaining

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 06-20-2011 at 12:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 12:24 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
but we all know (if you are realistic) states like Ca are not as safe as the mid west.
We do? Interesting since I've noticed the opposite...at least with regard to things like theft.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:51 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Then when you got all your sh*t stolen you'll be the first to be on Channel 7 news w/ your mouth wide open : omg.... how could this have happened to me ... i lived in such a safe neighborhood ... oh me oh my....
Just the type of tinfoil hat/lets-make-a-bunker/Y2K person I was referencing! Although that was like shooting fish in a barrel with you . . . 791 posts of bitching and moaning and counting . . .

Old 06-20-2011, 01:36 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Of course.
Funny, grew up in San Francisco, lived in LA for five years, been in Sac for seven years. Never once was my home burglarized, never once was my car vandalized.

But I guess some people go out looking for things to complain about, ain't that right? Mr. Conservative bogeyman.

I wonder when the comments are going to turn towards the direction of the "Illegal scum" and the "Mexihordes"??

Old 06-20-2011, 02:44 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Just the type of tinfoil hat/lets-make-a-bunker/Y2K person I was referencing! Although that was like shooting fish in a barrel with you . . . 791 posts of bitching and moaning and counting . . .

bwahahahaha

Old 06-20-2011, 07:14 AM

18 posts, read 43,361 times
I have moved to CA for some years now ( I still visit my hometown every once in a while) and although I am very careful, I try not to live in fear and just enjoy my life. This place is very safe and friendly and I truly am happy I decided to move here.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:31 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Here in California, we have no idea where our house keys are, our house is never locked, garage door is seldom down, generally only when the dust from plowing blows in, the barn is never locked, the gate is only closed on halloween, and our vehicle keys are in the ignition, there is a fortune in tractors, plows, seeders, pipe, all fenced and ungated.

Never a problem.
You live on San Nicolas Island? Thought that it belonged to the Navy and that civilians were forbidden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
The Conservative psychological operant is fear, that is why conservatives are conservatives, fortunately most people are not driven by fear.
And the liberal mindset is to place all trust in the hands of Big Brother and rest assured that He will always be there to protect them. With California scheduled to release tens of thousands of convicted felons from prison soon on early release, under orders from the feds, will see how that works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
When we in Los Angeles go to Reno, we head west. (Look at a map.)
Back in my drinking days won many a barroom bet on this one. The statement is correct, Reno is slightly farther west than LA.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:51 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
When we in Los Angeles go to Reno, we head west. (Look at a map.)
I am not in Los Angeles, but I wondered if someone would bring that geographic curiosity up.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
• I can't imagine NOT having a weapon (gun) in the home.

• Dobermans are big, lovable cream puff couch potato babies. I had them around the house for almost 30 years. (they were very effective against door-to-door proselytizers) Now I have a fat pit bull who exhibits the standard breed characteristic of being a horrible watch dog because she loves just about anyone on two legs, and seldom, if ever, barks.
Our granddaughter and hubby have a 4 year old daughter who is well behaved and 2 pitts. The dogs are better mannered most of the time than the little girl. Especially the female, she is about as calm and genle as any dog I have seen, both around people and around other dogs. Guns provide much more protection than almost any dog.

NIta

Old 06-20-2011, 08:01 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
You live on San Nicolas Island? Thought that it belonged to the Navy and that civilians were forbidden.

You see folks, this individual is convinced that living in California is dangerous, unless you live on an off shore island, that it isn't dangerous does not affect his believe. He is a well known member of the Conservative club.

And the liberal mindset is to place all trust in the hands of Big Brother and rest assured that He will always be there to protect them.

That isn't true at all, it is what is termed a "canard".

Liberal comes from the Latin "liber" which means free, a liberal is free. In this case free from the mindless fears that affect every aspect of the conservative mind.

Regarding the release of inmate, since it hasn't happened yet, and those who are to be released have not been identified most people are not filled with fear, some are. If the state releases all who have been imprisoned for possession of Marijuana, and gives them a full baggy of the stuff on the way out, the only people who need fear are those at fast food restaurants.

Back in my drinking days won many a barroom bet on this one. The statement is correct, Reno is slightly farther west than LA.

True and utterly irrelevant to my geographic location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California