Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 04:10 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times

Advertisements

I've received some help from one of the sub forums on here but thought this may be a good place to ask more questions. The wife and I are taking our first ever CA vacation this Sept or Oct. Please feel free to advise what month would be best. We would like to land at a major airport (hopefully direct from VA-I know I can fly direct on United from Dulles to LAX) Our plan is to tour the coast for at least 3-5 days. We'd like to see the 17-mile highway, Yosemite and we're still deciding on other areas. Knowing this, which city should we fly into to start this trip?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 04:43 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Fly to SFO and explore Big Sur, once you've had your city fix. Skip 17-Mile Drive. It's just a bunch of hype and a poor reason to extract $9 from your wallet. Instead, park your car outside Point Lobos State Park, walk in for free and enjoy. Asilomar Beach and the drive around that area and Pacific Grove (don't miss Carmel and its beach) should also be on your list. Anyway, from there, head down Hwy 1 and stop at San Simeon to visit Hearst Castle (reserve now). Cambria is a nice town to explore before heading east on Hwy 46 for a stop at a winery. Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo would be next on your list. From here, either head south to Santa Barbara or head out to Yosemite and then back to SF.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:17 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
I agree with this^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 07-11-2011, 09:15 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Yes, i'd say fly into San Francisco and take the coastal route (HWY1) south.
And yes, 17 mile drive is, imo, kinda gross.
Although if you're a golf fanatic you might want to visit Pebble Beach and then give 17 mile drive a looksy if you're into seeing that kind of display of wealth.
The aquarium is Monterey would be worth a visit.
Big Sur is a must visit.
October has always been a beautiful time but in the last 2 years, because weather patterns have changed, it's rained which is unusual ... or used to be unusual ... who knows these days.
I'd say that September is a good time to travel to CA ... after Labor Day especially if you want to see Yosemite as it will be less crowded than if you visited it in the summer months.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:07 AM

9 posts, read 34,412 times
Since most of your targets seem to be in Northern California and you only have 3-5 days, I'd suggest flying into one of the Bay Area airports (SFO, OAK, or SJC) and sticking to Northern California. If you're going to properly see Yosemite that'll take at least two days between driving to and from the Bay Area and spending some time in the park. Add in a Monterey/coastal trip and I'm assuming some of the SF sites and you're just about filled up.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:17 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,429 times
SFO (I'm sure there are many non-stops from Dulles). When I worked in Yosemite during the summer while in college I noticed that many bus tours (and individual travelers) did this "loop" to cover some of the high points of Northern California is a limited amount of time - San Francisco, Monterey, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe. While you're more flexible for time it appears its still a good starting point that you can flesh out with other spots (Wine Country, Gold Country, North Coast, etc...). Its a huge state - unless you have a large amount of time I would try to decide between Northern and Southern California so you can do the one you choose justice.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal View Post
Since most of your targets seem to be in Northern California and you only have 3-5 days, I'd suggest flying into one of the Bay Area airports (SFO, OAK, or SJC) and sticking to Northern California. If you're going to properly see Yosemite that'll take at least two days between driving to and from the Bay Area and spending some time in the park. Add in a Monterey/coastal trip and I'm assuming some of the SF sites and you're just about filled up.

We'll actually have at least 10-12 days. We know though we want to see the coast and sightsee for at least 3 days or so on the coastline.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:59 AM

I'm surprised what I'm hearing about 17-mile drive. Several others have said it is a must see.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:57 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I'm surprised what I'm hearing about 17-mile drive. Several others have said it is a must see.
It's a nice and easy way to view the Monterey Bay and also see a lot of expensive houses and landscaping.
I can see why people would enjoy it ... my 82 year old father visited some years back and we visited Pebble Beach and did the 17 mile drive drive and he enjoyed it.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:07 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
A few days in Monterrey, East Yosemite then up and over (east ) past Lake Tenaya, down Tioga Pass and a day or two in Mammoth. You might even drive south to Lone Pine where you will recognize the scenery from every Western movie you have ever seen. Then north on 395 to Lake Tahoe and Reno. Finall back to San Francisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California