Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 03:14 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Well, I, for one, agree with both of you. I moved here about two years ago for work and absolutley love the area, the beauty and the weather.

But, unfortunantly I could never bring myself to live here full-time due to the all too visible truths that Mr. Curmudgeon alluded to.

Breathtakingly gorgeous state though, from the oceans to the mountains, really is.
I and everyone I know live fine and fulfilled lives are there problems? Maybe, but I don't see the effects, except for those darned CARB gas can pour spouts, now those things annoy me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Here at my little 2-acre island of the way things used to be (before the grapes and citrus were replaced by asphalt, warehouses and concrete) the soil is so dark, rich and fecund I'm overwhelmed by the four varieties of oranges, the limes, lemons, plums, peaches, figs and two varieties of grapes that it throws off every year. I do nothing in the way of fertilizing or enhancing. I simply water.

It seems a shame to pave over soil like that.
It isn't just a shame, it is a sin, and should be a crime. I have some large pumpkins coming up in the horse corral, I did not plant them, they just dropped in from Oz I guess, there must be four or five over a foot in diameter, they get no water and no care... California living.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Questioning my interest and concerns when I spent the bulk of my life there and have over a dozen family members still there...sadder.
I have always found regret can be avoided by good research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Good stuff! I'll be there in two weeks.......cant wait.
I took a drive out to California Valley today to pick up another tractor. I left the cool coastal clime drove through the vast pastoral grasslands around Santa Margarita. Just outside town is a sign,
Quote:
Next Services 82 Miles
..... and some people think this state is overcrowded....... Then across an old Spanish Rancho, then into the "Texas" scrub lands, the type of vegetation that gave us chaps, then into "Wyoming" rolling prairie hills and grasslands, then finally into California's "Nevada" A wide vast plain with pronghorn antelope, elk, and kangaroo rats, to the far south I could see an 8,000 foot mtn that from a distance still appeared to have snow on it.

Nice place this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 03:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Who said anything about regret? Don't regret having lived there at all. Don't regret moving here at all.

Y'all smokin' sumpin funny?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:07 PM

434 posts, read 849,198 times
Pay your taxes, follow our laws no matter how absurd we get and shut your mouth. That's the chant of the libs who run CA. And those who make a lot of noise on this forum.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:54 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post
Pay your taxes, follow our laws no matter how absurd we get and shut your mouth. That's the chant of the libs who run CA. And those who make a lot of noise on this forum.
And those usual suspects (libs) are the ones paying little but no taxes and collecting public employee pensions, medical, pay ... tax payers money!!!

Old 07-24-2011, 06:07 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Jealous?

Old 07-24-2011, 06:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
And those usual suspects (libs) are the ones paying little but no taxes and collecting public employee pensions, medical, pay ... tax payers money!!!
Preposterous on the face of it. Libs pay as many taxes as do rabid conservatives. Not all public employees are libs, nor are all retirees. Almost all public employees pay into their pension funds so it's their money too, both as contributors and as tax payers.

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 07-24-2011 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: how about not escalating, just for a change of pace

Old 07-24-2011, 06:25 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Shoot kid, I betcha we pay more property tax than any four of anyone on this board makes in income per year. I find it money well spent, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9
And those usual suspects (libs) are the ones paying little but no taxes and collecting public employee pensions, medical, pay ... tax payers mo
Yep, collecting employee pensions, medical etc. They sponged off the taxpayers their whole working life, but sadly, found that they still could not make it in the great state of California.

They had to move back east, spending the money the California taxpayers gave them in some hot, humid, flat, bushy landscape, but they still spend all their time whining about California.

Hard to see it as anything but sad.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Questioning my interest and concerns when I spent the bulk of my life there and have over a dozen family members still there...sadder.
There are Paramdeic services with slower response times than you, atleast wait an hour so it atleast looks like your not sitting in front of your monitor all day. Isn't there anything to do in Missouri ? ...oh...yea.....

Old 07-24-2011, 06:39 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Wait wait wait ... confusing ... Bougainvillea are not paying taxes and getting pensions? Or liberal sunflowers? I know I've been out of the loop for months (and expect to go back out again very soon), but is it just me or is this thread irreparably tangled ... no doubt Don9 will get it back on track and Curmudgeon will make sure California politics are revealed as bad fertilizer for the plants ...

Old 07-24-2011, 06:44 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Jealous?
No, not jealous ... I took care of my situation without scamming the tax payers. For the ones who are scamming the tax payers ... their day will soon come. The economy is in shambles in part because of the scamming but that money is drying up quicker than a little bird bath in the Mohave desert.

BTW: I'm not saying every public employee is doing this. I'm talking about the politicians and the ones working for the corrupt unions who scam the big outrageous paychecks and big pensions with full benefits for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California