Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 08:32 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
its the attitude of citizens and government in Californiastan. When you treat businesses like Nazi's they will just pack up and leave. Jello Brown has done a good job destroying your state and as the old saying goes feel free to come to Indiana and Texas as long as you leave your liberal crap in california.
Yep, heck just in the past year 200 companies out of the over 2 million in the state packed up and left.

While we are here, would you mind itemizing just what Governor Brown has done to destroy the state?

A minor rewrite "and as the old saying goes, feel free to come to Indiana and Texas as long as you are an indoors sort of person, comfortable sitting inside watching TV."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 10:55 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
That's really hilarious to the people who live there and love it (and I mean LOVE it. I've never met people who have more pride and love for where they live).
This has nothing to do with my comment, the value of the land has nothing to do with to what degree people "love" the state of Texas. Most land in Texas is pretty much the same, basically a flat parcel with no views, no special access to natural resources, etc.

And yes, I've been to Texas.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think instead it more plentiful - even desirable places.
You can change the wording all you wish, but the fact remains, land isn't magically cheaper in Texas. Its cheaper because most of Texas land is flat and boring and there is ample supply of it. When you look at land with "special" features the pricing becomes comparable to California...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't think a software engineer with a young family can buy a 3 br home in Silicon Valley with good public schools for $200K can they?
No, but so what? You guys are continuously dishonest when discussing real estate in California vs Texas. You talk about the entire state, yet move to particular small areas to try to make your point.

Silicon Valley is one of the most desirable areas of the country in a major metro area, naturally real estate is going to be rather expensive. And yet, there are other areas of California where you can buy a home for ~$200k that has good schools, etc.

Almost every discussion about Texas vs California come down to this, namely materialism. In Texas big ugly stucco boxes are more readily available throughout the state, where as in California if you want to live in one of the major metro areas (bay area/LA) you'll have to, god forbid, live in a smaller older home. All the discussions about affordability are hot-air, the real topic is materialism, middle-class folks can easily afford the bay area, LA, etc....they just don't afford big homes in these areas.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:18 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You can in California as well....

Property isn't magically cheaper in Texas, its cheaper primary because the land under the house isn't worth much.....because..its ahem undesirable.
Well, technically it's a factor of supply and demand. It is possible to be in demand, but still have enough supply to keep prices down.

With that out of the way, I lived there for 6 years. I had a good time in TX. 6th Street in Austin is pretty much why I'll never be able to run for office....anywhere.....at any level.

However, no way I'd live there over CA. I respect the opinion of mother nature, and she liked CA a whole lot more than TX. I don't really get the comparisons though. They're both good states for different reasons. You can argue that they appeal to different types of people. TX isn't for everyone, but neither is CA.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:18 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
its the attitude of citizens and government in Californiastan. When you treat businesses like Nazi's they will just pack up and leave. Jello Brown has done a good job destroying your state and as the old saying goes feel free to come to Indiana and Texas as long as you leave your liberal crap in california.

Come off it , I'm pulling your card " All Big Cities In The Great State Of Texas Are Kiberal''.....

Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
......Silicon Valley is one of the most desirable areas of the country in a major metro area, naturally real estate is going to be rather expensive. And yet, there are other areas of California where you can buy a home for ~$200k that has good schools, etc....
I live in one of those areas right now; Temecula, CA. Very safe, very good schools, 30+ wineries, nice hills, and a hell of a lot prettier than the hill country outside of San Antonio which....is about the same or even more expensive.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:36 AM

388 posts, read 849,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I live in one of those areas right now; Temecula, CA. Very safe, very good schools, 30+ wineries, nice hills, and a hell of a lot prettier than the hill country outside of San Antonio which....is about the same or even more expensive.
With none of the big city amenities. Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:40 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Actually the only thing Cali is "losing" to Texass are the folks who not only can't afford to live here, they're probably a better fit with TX "culture" anyway.

BTW, it's always amazing that many of the same folks complaining about California's "affordability", etc. also usually seem to be the very ones pushing conservative values like the "Free Market" (only here we call it "supply and demand"...)!

Old 08-12-2011, 11:53 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Actually the only thing Cali is "losing" to Texass are the folks who not only can't afford to live here, they're probably a better fit with TX "culture" anyway.

BTW, it's always amazing that many of the same folks complaining about California's "affordability", etc. also usually seem to be the very ones pushing conservative values like the "Free Market" (only here we call it "supply and demand"...)!
+1

Old 08-12-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
With none of the big city amenities. Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Umm...nor do suburbs of Texas. Temecula isn't in the middle of nowhere, its close to Orange County, LA and San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California