Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 04:46 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,687,420 times

Advertisements

Why on gawd's green earth anyone wants to give money to out of town corporations when you can support local businesses is beyond me.

When "The City" moves on to the next plane of existence he should be reincarnated as a local shop or restaurant owner. see how he likes the big chains then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 06:24 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,764,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Estrada View Post
Sweetie.. that's why man invented NFL Sunday Ticket and NHL Center Ice.. .

don't listen to the City..he's in idiot. Honestly, you will be wrapped up in school so much that when the weekends roll around you can have a nice cocktail on the creek at Novo or enjoy an awesome triva night at Woodstocks Pizza or Buffalo. Good luck at getting in!
Exuse me? Just because you don't agree with my idealogies doesn't mean I am an idiot.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Exuse me? Just because you don't agree with my idealogies doesn't mean I am an idiot.
Surely you can see that your obsessive interest in large national chain stores and expanses of asphalt dotted with buildings containing large national chain stores could lead one down paths best not taken.

Run through this list, see how many of these characteristics apply to you, do not tell us your results, If you want you can pm me with your count and I will explain it to you.

Cognitive Learning
Excellent rote memory in certain areas
Unregulated fears; difficulty judging situations that create fear - may be overly fearful in safe situations, yet fearless in dangerous situations
Very detail-oriented
difficulty seeing overall picture or situation
applies same level of detail to every situation whether appropriate or not
May have exceptionally high skills in some areas, but very low skills in others, i.e., splinter skills, savant skills, or special talents
Prefers concrete, rather than abstract, concepts
Language
Pronoun reversal
Excellent vocabulary; may sound like “The Little Professor”
Conversational language may appear stilted
Speaks with stock phrases or phrases borrowed from other situations or people
Makes honest, but often inappropriate observations
Has difficulties adjusting volume and speed in speech
Problems with prosody; irregular accenting and inflection used in conversation
Literal language: difficulty understanding figures of speech, similes, parodies, allegories, etc.
Speech may have started very early in development or may have started then stopped for a period of time
Repeats last word or phrases several times (echolalia)
Difficulty understanding some language, i.e., directional terms easily confused

Old 08-18-2011, 07:25 PM

I got into Cal Poly SLO and had Honor Roll during k-12. I would say I'm not an idiot. And if your list is bull **** and saying I don't have common sense.

Families and people in SLO like the chains otherwise you wouldn't see them. And I prefer to see quality chains.

I'm sorry you liberals don't appreciate what these chains do for communities and enjoy the services they offer. But people from North County love it and I'm proud Templeton has two chains-Trader Joes and Subway!

The best part though is next year when Macy's takes over some old business and Olive Garden goes next to Target, I will have the last laugh because finally SLO will the two chains I've always wanted.

If you're sick and tired of chains, well there is Oceano, Shandon, Creston and San Miquel!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:54 PM

My list has nothing to do with common sense or intelligence, your remark about liberals is just plain curious. Remember, Liberals gave us America. Conservatives opposed the creation of America, and opposed the Federal Constitution

It has nothing to do with being sick and tired of chains, it is on one hand, your obsession with chains, and on the other our desire to support our own community.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 PM

4 posts, read 4,524 times
Good place to hide from the world and live a 'slow' life.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:48 AM

168 posts, read 554,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

I'm sorry you liberals don't appreciate what these chains do for communities and enjoy the services they offer. But people from North County love it and I'm proud Templeton has two chains-Trader Joes and Subway!

The best part though is next year when Macy's takes over some old business and Olive Garden goes next to Target, I will have the last laugh because finally SLO will the two chains I've always wanted.
What does being a liberal have to do with not appreciating chains? Your political affiliation typically doesn't have anything to do with that...

Oh and the last laugh is on you buddy, your tax dollars that you should be spending locally will just go back to San Luis..so yes, thanks for spending your money in someone else's City to prop up our wonderfully bloated police salaries, our great parks and rec program and other services that the north county wishes they had, but alas..poor north county can't because well, you got no tax base

Old 08-19-2011, 05:51 PM

230 posts, read 623,595 times
I think you'd love SLO if you're serious about not wanting to be in a big city. The only people I've seen crash and burn in SLO were one of two scenarios: 1) Moved from a big city so they could be "chill," but found out that they really missed the action in the city. 2) people who moved from other places, without enough money, and ended up living in someone's garage because they didn't temper their desire to live near the beach with the reality of how much it costs to live there.

Sounds like you have a good plan. SLO has definitely become more interesting to people out of college (in their 30s and beyond.) Some of the sub-vibe I've been getting in the past few years is like a small Portland with a strong craft brew, DIY, and food truck, interest growing there.

There are many gorgeous places to live in the Country. SLO County is one of them. It's not the only one, but if you include lifestyle, access to the beach, fresh foods and farms, relative safety, and ease of living, it comes out on top. Oh wait, did I mention the weather?? SLO and Santa Barbara are always the top two when the rank national weather. I see you're in Brentwood.. is that Brentwood, L.A.? or Northern California? (or?) The vibe is more Northern California, than Southern California... which is nice.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:05 PM

210 posts, read 588,072 times
Thanks Trixie for your input.
I currently live in the burbs of a fairly large city, Nashville. And yes i do live in Brentwood...Brentwood TN to be exact. I am about a 10 min drive from downtown and i rarely find myself taking that short drive to participate in the "city action". Aside from a few yearly events and football games i try to avoid downtown at all costs. I understand that i will be giving up the option/opportunity to have these "city" things at my disposal and that is OK with me. I mean the worst that can happen is i miss the city and then move once i am done with school (god willing).
I frequent a few local eateries and watering holes near my home and shop at a few of the large local chain stores as well as my favorite local "boutique" establishments. So i am looking at SLO as kind of like the town i live in...with all the excess fat trimmed off
I am under no misconception about the cost of living in the area and its within my budget to rent a small place for me and my dog. Honestly i am a bit overwhelmed with the amount of stuff and space i have at the moment...way to much for just one person. So the idea of downsizing to basics is really appealing.
And yes, the weather...how can we forget that! There is something charming about the crazy hot southern summer nights...but... can i tell you how much the humidity wrecks havoc on my hair?!?!? lol. Yes, i will be more than happy to live in the SLO climate for a change The TN fall would be missed a bit though...oh well. On the bright side i wont have to deal with a huge yard full of dead leaves to rake up! YAY!

Old 08-21-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Estrada View Post
What does being a liberal have to do with not appreciating chains? Your political affiliation typically doesn't have anything to do with that...

Oh and the last laugh is on you buddy, your tax dollars that you should be spending locally will just go back to San Luis..so yes, thanks for spending your money in someone else's City to prop up our wonderfully bloated police salaries, our great parks and rec program and other services that the north county wishes they had, but alas..poor north county can't because well, you got no tax base
Yup, it's true North County doesnt have much. But I will move out of North County some day to SLO, so until then I dont care.

I guess you can relate my desire to see Macy's and Olive Garden and chains is because Macy's and Olive Garden are East Coast urban chains, and two more chains makes look one step more like a city like Monterey and Santa Barbara.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California