Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 02:46 PM

79 posts, read 184,042 times

Advertisements

sorry if this topic is already posted but I do not come on here often. I want to do an exchange to California state university east bay. from the pix on google the sky line looks beautiful but how a city looks cant be my only reason to move there. please give me any info you have. by the way i'm african american if that makes a difference and im from wisconsin so totally diff. climate and im not used to earthquakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 02:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Hayward is not a "beautiful city" but you are right, the way the city looks can't be your only reason for moving there. What IS your reason for wanting to move there?
I don't know what info you want but Val's is a great place to grab a burger.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
You might have gotten more responses if you posted this in the SF forum. Also, it helps to know what exactly you might be looking for. I'll give it a shot.

Well don't worry about your race, few others will. Where do you want to live? Near campus? I lived in Hayward once briefly when I was about 10 or so. All I remember is at the end of my street was a horse ranch, there was a creek and both were full of frogs. Our swimming pool was full of frogs. This was in the 80's. Don't know how it is now but I don't see people on C-D speak to highly of it. Can't say whether they're right or wrong. There are many other cities to consider as well. Will you require public transportation?

Need a little more info.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:09 PM

79 posts, read 184,042 times
sorry i just figured out that its in the san francisco area. my school has an exchange program and i want to move to cali. these are the schools i can choose from

California Polytechnic State
University, San Luis Obispo
California State University,
Bakersfield
California State University, Chico
California State University, East Bay
Los Angeles
Monterey Bay
Northridge
San Bernardino
Humboldt State University
Sonoma State University

Old 08-16-2011, 05:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
The college experience at all of the schools is likely to be pretty similar. Most are commuter schools, with smaller on campus populations. They are in wildly differnt parts of the state. What sort of town/campus are you looking for:
Urban, suburban, rural
How many amenities do you need in walking distance? Do you want access to the broader metro area via transit or car?

Can you clarify?

P.S. Earthquakes are very random. You can prepare for them, but there is no predicting when they will happen. The last serious quake in the Bay area was over 20 years ago. Minor quakes feel like a large train went by.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:12 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
I'm pretty sure Cal Poly at San Luis Obispo would be the best school on that list but I guess it depends on what courses you want to take. SLO is kind of in the middle of nowhere on the coast, I've never been there but it sounds like kind of a neat little town.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:31 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
California State University, Chico - Parrrrrrrrrrrrty!

(Conspicuously absent from the list, SDSU ... )

Old 08-16-2011, 10:52 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Interesting to note: Most people are slamming Hayward without giving you reasons as to why.

Hayward isn't the greatest city to live in the East Bay, because of crime, living conditions, and overall quality of life. However, the city itself is trying (and failing) to try and improve things.

At the sometime, there are worse cities in the East Bay. Would I let my kids go to college there? Nope.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:31 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Hayward is fine. People are being snobby.

Its not a walkable, urbane, sidewalk cafe kinda place, but that's because its suburban city where everything is auto oriented.

The campus is generally dead after school lets out and there is no 'college town' atmosphere whatsoever.

This is the case for nearly all CSUs in my experience. CSU is a system that caters mainly to students who live off campus and spend their time away from campus.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:53 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Hayward, or Cal State East Bay, is an OK school. My son may end up there once he get his AA from a community college. It's a commuter school and that's exactly what he will do.

OP, if you truly don't have a plan and just want to live in CA and don't care where I'd suggest Chico or Sonoma from that list. Gotta consider living expenses and Chico especially is a neat little college town.

But have a plan and a specific degree in mind. It's really an expensive way to just get a chance of scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California