Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 05:13 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I salute them and appreciate them, they are true patriots. I don't understand what you find "repugnant?" As an immigrant to this country, as well as my father in law being one, I think I have more credibility on this subject than you do. It is an honor and privilege to become an American, not some "right" to be taken for granted. If one wants to become an American, is it too much to ask of them to assimilate and "become an American?"
I find it repugnant because it resonates through the worst of our history.

The Japanese were interned because the racists said they held their allegiance to the Emperor and did not want to assimilate.

The Chinese were banned from immigration because they "were clannish and did not want to assimilate"

There was a strong movement to repatriate the freed slaves to Africa because they "could not assimilate"

Throughout our major immigration influx of the late 19th and early 20th centuries it was argued that Italians and Greeks were not white and could not "assimilate"

The 'Know Nothings' the spiritual great grandparents of todays tea baggers did not want Catholics admitted to the United States because they "could not assimilate"

Indians were pushed into reservations because they "could not assimilate"

That is why if find statements like yours repugnant, and only those who do not know the history of this country would find that statement acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I salute them and appreciate them, they are true patriots. I don't understand what you find "repugnant?" As an immigrant to this country, as well as my father in law being one, I think I have more credibility on this subject than you do. It is an honor and privilege to become an American, not some "right" to be taken for granted. If one wants to become an American, is it too much to ask of them to assimilate and "become an American?"
I find it repugnant because it resonates through the worst of our history.

The Japanese were interned because the racists said they held their allegiance to the Emperor and did not want to assimilate.

The Chinese were banned from immigration because they "were clannish and did not want to assimilate"

There was a strong movement to repatriate the freed slaves to Africa because they "could not assimilate"

Throughout our major immigration influx of the late 19th and early 20th centuries it was argued that Italians and Greeks were not white and could not "assimilate"

The 'Know Nothings' the spiritual great grandparents of todays tea baggers did not want Catholics admitted to the United States because they "could not assimilate"

Indians were pushed into reservations because they "could not assimilate"

That is why I find statements like yours repugnant, and only those who do not know the history of this country would find that statement acceptable.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:26 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Now how did I guess this was going to turn into an illegal alien thread. LOL

Old 08-19-2011, 05:38 PM

I prefer to think of it as an ignernt American thread. You fish? For Trout? Bass don't count... I am heading up to the headwaters of the Kings River to do a little fishing... no, I don't fly fish, I am not liberal enough.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:45 PM

I prefer ignant. I'll be taking a mid week break next week to hit the East Carson for some Lahontan cut throat. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:13 PM

East Carson is great, good luck there, one of these days try the East Walker, east of NV 338, little visited.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
East Carson is great, good luck there, one of these days try the East Walker, east of NV 338, little visited.
Been there many times. Caught my first Brown there back in 1980.

Love goin in the backway to the Sweetwaters for deer when we get drawn for that zone.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:05 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
I apparently don't speak redneck.... What in the world is being discussed? I had a brown this morning.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:08 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Of course he was, they were competition for UFWOC. What is truly interesting is that most people think Cesar Chavez ran or was otherwise the policy maker for UFWOC, he wasn't.

I also find it interesting how many people get hysterical over displays of Mexican nationality in occupied Mexico.

What did they expect? That Mexicans would roll over and say good bye to half their country and never resent it being stolen? Too Funny.

Israel was conquered, at one point the Jewish inhabitants expelled from their land and scattered across the Roman Empire. It took them 2,000 years, but they got their land back. Why shouldn't the Mexicans have the same aspiration with the same conclusion?
LMAO @ occupied Mexico. Mexico singed a treaty AND the land was paid for by the US government. If you by a car and sign the papers and hand over the money, should we report it as stolen?

The Mexican-American war started over Texas and ended with the winner deciding the terms as all wars do. Nothing special about that war. Also, how do you think Spain felt when they lost their territory?

Old 08-19-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Been there many times. Caught my first Brown there back in 1980.

A great back country road that heads to Bodie from there.

Love goin in the backway to the Sweetwaters for deer when we get drawn for that zone.
The Sweetwater Range is a little known place, I have only been up in it for spring skiing. I see you get around a bit...

This trip to the headwaters of the Kings I will horse pack back in for a week..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California