Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 03:20 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBrown View Post
Hello, I'd like to introduce you to Reality, and after that you can meet an acquaintance of mine, Texas.

lol

Texas' debt growing at faster rate than U.S. government's
Texas' debt growing at faster rate than U.S. government's | Mitchell Schnurman | Dallas ... (http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/07/12/3217429/texas-debt-growing-at-faster-rate.html - broken link)

Texas has highest uninsured rate; Perry would repeal Obama overhaul with no clear alternative
Texas has highest uninsured rate; Perry would repeal Obama overhaul with no clear alternative - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/texas-has-highest-uninsured-rate-perry-would-repeal-obama-overhaul-with-no-clear-alternative/2011/08/22/gIQAPCcqVJ_story.html - broken link)

And here's a good blog with substantial links:

RICK PERRY AND TEXAS JOBS NUMBERS
Rick Perry And Texas Job Numbers « Political Math

Texas Unemployment Rate
Unemployment in the U.S. - Google Public Data Explorer

Etc Etc

Anyone with even a passing knowledge of Texas knows we've been in the pits, when it comes to income disparity, generational income change, percent insured, percent that have a HS diploma, percent teenage pregnancies, percent that understand percents, and on and on.
And you don't think CA has the same issues Reality check for you. Get one fast! Both TX and CA have a huge disparity between rich and poor...so does NY and many other places.

I suggest you check out Waiting on Superman and then see the Inside Job

Waiting for "Superman" | Official Site | Take Action

Inside Job - Movie Website for the Documentary Film

You have got to start somewhere in understanding what is happening to the US as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 03:26 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
If the South intellectually destitute then CA is reality destitute. Add me to the list of residents of TX who gets paid a lot to travel to CA to do a job that the local residents can't handle. I spend a lot of time in CA, more than I even care to admit. I'm forced to work with local staff, many of which attended your tier 1 colleges and it's amazing that they're able to put their shoes on the morning without hurting themselves.

The state of CA is paying my travel costs from Houston to LA, my downtown LA lodging, my salary and all other work related expenses for 1 reason and 1 reason only, because these customers can't find anyone local in LA or CA for that matter who can do the job. I came to this particular project after someone local screwed it up so I'm cleaning up a mess made by a CA tier 1 college graduate. This work is being done in an LA area hospital so I'm working to help keep CA residents alive, something I question daily since I'm actually helping to prolong the lives of the very people who are ignorant enough to hate me based on where I live. If the money/bonus pay wasn't great I'd never put a foot in CA again but I take great pride in dragging some CA's money home every other Friday.
Excellent post! I am also a Houstonian who was hired to come here and clean up the mess of a Bay Area hospital ran by CA graduates for the past 33 years. What an unbelievable mess I have walked into...IMO this place should be shut down...but almost all of the hospital labs in the Bay Area have the same low standard way of running things. This Texan is showing them how to raise the standards to the level of The Texas Medical Center.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
California has the largest economies in the union and has produced a large share of the nations innovation over the last few decades. Seems like the sort of thing other states would want to mimic....
No state wants to be a welfare sponge, a high tax state with one of the highest unemployment rates in the entire US. Nor do other states want to be run by the Unions.

Quote:
Its not that the rate is high compared to other states, instead its that the rate is moving in reverse! The unemployment rate in Texas is now the highest it has been during the recession, perhaps...just perhaps Texas is doing something wrong? But naturally you miss the point and focus your attention instead on more insults.
You missed the point. Did it ever occur to you that it was a mass increase all over the US. CA went from 11.8% to 12%...did you miss that point? It has been going in reverse since 2008! Maybe CA is doing something wrong CA unemployment rate as been going up since 2008. All states are seeing increasing unemployment rates but Texas will find solutions as CA continues to drive itself down.

Actually TX unemployment rate has been fluctuating since the recession...click on the little dinosaur beside TX to view this pattern. Then click on the little dinosaur for CA to see that increasing trend since 2008.

http://www.bls.gov/lau/

Old 09-03-2011, 03:38 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,410 times
There is serious bad blood between Californians and Texans on this forum.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:39 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Excellent post! I am also a Houstonian who was hired to come here and clean up the mess of a Bay Area hospital ran by CA graduates for the past 33 years. What an unbelievable mess I have walked into...IMO this place should be shut down...but almost all of the hospital labs in the Bay Area have the same low standard way of running things. This Texan is showing them how to raise the standards to the level of The Texas Medical Center.
Good luck with that one. I have to deal with project managers who couldn't read a CAD drawing to save their lives, construction guys who can't read period and "college educated" hospital staff that are some of the most ignorant people I've ever met. I've learned really quick that it's easier to just find the other out of state people and put them in charge of whatever you need done right.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:41 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
TX also has a lot of uneducated low wage earning or non wage earning Hispanics that cross the border to live in TX. Poverty and crime are a facet of all big cities across the US.
Umm...yeah, you realize that California is connected to Mexico as well right? You also realize that more people live in cities in California than Texas...right?

Why are you even mentioning this stuff?

Quote:
Take a look at the last page from my link. CA from 2008-2009 had higher poverty than Texas.
Umm......did you even read what you posted? The last page shows that Texas has 3~4% more poverty than California in both 2008 and 2009. C'mon...the map on the first page shows California has less poverty....

Don't tell me you were looking at the raw numbers, you know, not adjusted for population?

Old 09-03-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
The state of CA is paying my travel costs from Houston to LA, my downtown LA lodging, my salary and all other work related expenses for 1 reason and 1 reason only, because these customers can't find anyone local in LA or CA for that matter who can do the job for the price you are willing to do it for.
There I fixed that for you. You can't talk about what people are willing to do without talking about price....

Furthermore, the idea that there is a tech related job that no California resident can do is just rather absurd. Its also nice that stick to vague generalities instead of actually suggesting what you do. But whatever makes you feel good.

Quote:
This work is being done in an LA area hospital so I'm working to help keep CA residents alive, something I question daily since I'm actually helping to prolong the lives of the very people who are ignorant enough to hate me based on where I live.
Let me get this straight, you are questing whether you should help keep Californians alive...yet its Californians that are hateful? Ridiculous...

Californians don't hate Texans, instead they don't want California to be like Texas. Pretty simple....

Old 09-03-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
There's a huge shortage of educated people in CA to fill high tech positions and it has nothing to do with wages, CA companies are starting to realize that local tier 1 CA college graduates might have a pretty diploma from a local college but they aren't capable of doing the jobs they need done.
It has everything to do with wages, this is economics 101.

Anyhow, there is not a "huge shortage" of educated people in California and no company is realizing that the programs at Berkeley, Stanford, etc are doing a bad job at educating students.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
No state wants to be a welfare sponge, a high tax state with one of the highest unemployment rates in the entire US.
California is a welfare sponge? Perhaps you are confusing it with the South because California sends more dollars to the feds than they get back. State/local programs are funded by state revenue....so no welfare there either.

There are many other states with high taxes, you see, its about what sort of social model you want in your state. Do you want the sort of poverty producing model you have in the South...or a more progressive model that has produced economic prosperity throughout the country?

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that it was a mass increase all over the US.
Umm...no because the national unemployment rate remained the same. Not only that the national unemployment rate is noticeably lower than it was in the depths of the recession. On the other hand Texas' unemployment rate is hitting new lows, things are getting worse in Texas.... Even California's unemployment, despite the big hole in its economy, has been slowing improving.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:04 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
There I fixed that for you. You can't talk about what people are willing to do without talking about price....

Furthermore, the idea that there is a tech related job that no California resident can do is just rather absurd. Its also nice that stick to vague generalities instead of actually suggesting what you do. But whatever makes you feel good.

Let me get this straight, you are questing whether you should help keep Californians alive...yet its Californians that are hateful? Ridiculous...

Californians don't hate Texans, instead they don't want California to be like Texas. Pretty simple....
I don't need you to fix anything for me, what I said originally was 100% correct. I'm sticking to vague generalities because I don't need some rabid CA resident getting pissed off and trying to ruin my career... I'm not some ignorant LA resident. I question whether I should give up my time to help people in CA who don't appreciate what we do for them, the money almost makes up for it but I still have to deal with the locals while I'm there. Californians don't' even want to be like Californians from what I can tell, look at how many are leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California