Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 02:10 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,998 times

Advertisements

Montebello misspent over $31 million, state audits find - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 04:11 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,265,022 times
We misspent 4 trillion dollars on Bush's wars.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Congratulations... you've identified another spending problem ! Might I add that when Obama took office and decided to continue them perpetually that the lofty total you arrived at became split 50/50.

And what have tax payers/citizens done about it? NOTHING.
Keep voting in the same junk into office year over year that waste their money... And then claim, we should give such fools more via tax revenue .. magically that will solve economic problems...

Glad you noticed the trend

Old 09-22-2011, 04:24 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,451,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Yes but we are talking about CA in this thread. Nice attempt at diversion...Californians are so good at not facing the facts...that is why they keep blindly going to the voting polls.

Last edited by TVC15; 09-22-2011 at 04:47 PM..

Old 09-22-2011, 05:03 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,902,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Yes but we are talking about CA in this thread. Nice attempt at diversion...Californians are so good at not facing the facts...that is why they keep blindly going to the voting polls.
... yeah, unlike all the other 49 states (and countries all around the world) that are doing so much better ... ... no, but really, my bad ... Californians are so much dumber than the rest of humanity ... why the state sucks so bad as to be still the number #1 contributor to the national GDP and brain-trust ... what a god-awful sh8thole we live in ...

Old 09-22-2011, 05:41 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,451,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
... yeah, unlike all the other 49 states (and countries all around the world) that are doing so much better ... ... no, but really, my bad ... Californians are so much dumber than the rest of humanity ... why the state sucks so bad as to be still the number #1 contributor to the national GDP and brain-trust ... what a god-awful sh8thole we live in ...
Let me ask you this... Why do you think California has the largest GDP among the states?

Do you think CA is doing better then the other 49 states and the rest of the world economically?

Old 09-22-2011, 06:00 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,902,925 times
Quote:
Let me ask you this... Why do you think California has the largest GDP among the states?

Do you think CA is doing better then the other 49 states and the rest of the world economically?
Not exactly ... "doing better" is a nearly meaningless phrase at this time in the world economies ... everyone everyplace is doing the double-shuffle just trying to keep their feet under them best they can. I find it a very interesting transitory time ... I tend to have faith (rather unfortunately) in the greed of a segment of humanity that is very talented at creating amorphic wealth out of thin air (nearly, but not quite literally ... there is actual productivity at some levels) ... I suspect these folks are not yet willing to accept defeat of their vision of living atop great pyramids of "wealth" and will likely find ways to restart the carnage for a while longer.

However, I am simply dis-amused at the way so many people cry and whine and complain about how bad things are when we live as we do. We have no "right" to live the lifestyles of the rich and famous ... yet it seems that the typical American feels entitled. I consider it an insult to the bounty of our lives that we should complain in this country -- and California is particularly blessed with resources and, frankly, 'charisma', if you will. I find it blatantly unpatriotic, at both national and state levels, to be so unappreciative that we have so much.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:03 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times
The way I read that story is that the money was mis-appropriated, not mis-spent.

I love the 8 paragraph bullet story. It fits on one webpage, lacks any real substantive meat, but what the heck, journalistic pandering has become the way of the world.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Not exactly ... "doing better" is a nearly meaningless phrase at this time in the world economies ... everyone everyplace is doing the double-shuffle just trying to keep their feet under them best they can. I find it a very interesting transitory time ... I tend to have faith (rather unfortunately) in the greed of a segment of humanity that is very talented at creating amorphic wealth out of thin air (nearly, but not quite literally ... there is actual productivity at some levels) ... I suspect these folks are not yet willing to accept defeat of their vision of living atop great pyramids of "wealth" and will likely find ways to restart the carnage for a while longer.

However, I am simply dis-amused at the way so many people cry and whine and complain about how bad things are when we live as we do. We have no "right" to live the lifestyles of the rich and famous ... yet it seems that the typical American feels entitled. I consider it an insult to the bounty of our lives that we should complain in this country -- and California is particularly blessed with resources and, frankly, 'charisma', if you will. I find it blatantly unpatriotic, at both national and state levels, to be so unappreciative that we have so much.
The world has benefited a great deal from our efforts as a nation as have we from the world's. Currently due to the power of free markets and capitalism, that prosperity is shifting around the world. It is a beautiful thing in my mind and has the necessary and unfortunate impact that our prosperity must decrease.

This 'shuffle' will most probably result in the printing of a new global fiat currency that will have free floating market determined paired ratio to all other currencies and will be headed by a subset of the economic dominant countries in the world. This will aid in the progression out of this global slump which has the power to destroy a great deal of prosperity and societies around the world. It is the lessor of the evils and is the power of the fiat system everyone vilifies ..

There is nothing anyone can do about it and I don't feel the common person understands the gravity of the alternatives.. Which is why they wont have a say... It will result in less pain.. Less violence.. Less wars.. Less horror for generations to come.. and while the academic audience my praise 'let it all fail' and start all over.. they clearly have no concept of the magnitude of pain, war, conflict, and quite frankly death that will result from it.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:

It's funny that thing called relativity ..
$6 somewhere could only equal $3 in another place in terms of purchasing power ... Yet someone is always going to reference the absolute $$$ comparison between the two.

(economically) ...

The big picture is that happiness can be found anywhere and is truly dependent on the person.. In which case, there are many other places not doing as economically good as california .. that have less money but more purchasing power/peace of mind/happiness .

That being said, California is doing fine as are many other places.. California just isn't all the bag of chips its cocked up to be looking at pure economic #'s as money doesn't go as far here.

The idiocy that happens on wallstreet headquartered in NY and the resultant mega $$$ economy there is as much to do w/ the insane cost of living as anything.. You don't see such hubs flourish elsewhere because life is a hellavuh lot easier other places w/o the need to come up w/ a new way of extorting cash from people on a daily basis...

The valley.. as much as I love it and am a part of it . it is as much a rate race of bullsH*t as NY is ... Every other day, someone is thinking of some new silly sh*t to sell to the lessor intelligent in the world to occupy their time w/ brainless nonsense.. again, this is much to do w/ the crazy cost of living as anything....

So, i again draw straw to the idea of looking at raw #'s out of context.. Sure California has an enormous gdp /etc .. It also has an enormous cost of living .. and thus an enormous amount of pressure on people to go nuts trying to find a way to make money in order to live comfortably..

My solution to this observation.. Come here... max out .. do the rat race.. cash out and relax and enjoy my family and life some place else cheaper.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 09-22-2011 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: