Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 08:22 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,479,455 times

Advertisements

I have been visiting California every year during the winter months since 2005. I always liked that it was warm during the day and a little cool at night. I moved here back in september and notice this year most recently at night its been downright cold. And this is coming from a guy who lived through 35 years of sub zero temps near the great lakes. I notice every year it seems colder. Now I'm bundled up feeling like a wimp. Lol. Could be I'm getting older and my circulation isn't the same. What's your take on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 09:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
No.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:30 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
Late Fall(which is right now) is a very dry time of year in the coastal regions because it is very common for an offshore flow to overtake the normal onshore flow. Leads to colder nights because there is no insulation. Come the mid-winter rainy season, the low cloud cover returns along with the onshore flow, insulating the coastal areas and providing warmer nights.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:31 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,705,829 times
The 10 day forecast for San Luis Obispo is low to mid 60s during the day. So no. But as bhcompy said nights are cooler (30s/40s) this time of the year. So if you are sleeping with the heater off then you are going to be colder unless in a down bag.

Derek

Old 12-10-2011, 10:48 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I have been visiting California every year during the winter months since 2005. I always liked that it was warm during the day and a little cool at night. I moved here back in september and notice this year most recently at night its been downright cold. And this is coming from a guy who lived through 35 years of sub zero temps near the great lakes. I notice every year it seems colder. Now I'm bundled up feeling like a wimp. Lol. Could be I'm getting older and my circulation isn't the same. What's your take on this?
I'm a bit of an amateur weather buff. What you're saying doesn't surprise me in the least bit. Winters are definitely getting colder in the northern hemisphere. It's all cyclonic and perfectly natural. No man-made global warming or cooling is involved.

I'm drunk right now, otherwise I'd go more in-depth into this subject. But yeah, your observations are correct. I'm a big follower of the meteorological mastermind Joe Bastardi. Google his name, and you're likely to find a plethora of incredibly informative information on the subject.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:15 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Late Fall(which is right now) is a very dry time of year in the coastal regions because it is very common for an offshore flow to overtake the normal onshore flow. Leads to colder nights because there is no insulation. Come the mid-winter rainy season, the low cloud cover returns along with the onshore flow, insulating the coastal areas and providing warmer nights.
Why is there no insulation? Do builders/housebuyers believe the "endless summer" portrayal?

Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Why is there no insulation? Do builders/housebuyers believe the "endless summer" portrayal?
Most houses on the coast are old. Energy costs weren't a concern in 1968. Many people have since added insulation to the attic and installed double pane windows but the exterior walls are still hollow and get quite cold on even a 45 degree night.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:55 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
Well, I didn't quite mean insulation that way. I meant by the marine layer/relative humidity. It keeps the warm air from escaping up into the atmosphere at night. Oddly enough, the other answer works as well, but on an individual basis rather than as a weather pattern

Old 12-11-2011, 09:08 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,687,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
In the olden days, of cheap energy you merely cranked the furnace when you needed to. Which in many areas was not often.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:15 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,081,480 times
It's true that in the Bay Area, most buildings SUCK for insulating against the cold, and it definitely gets cold here. One apartment I had was a brick building that was pretty warm in winter, otherwise every place I've lived in in SF or Oakland was freezing in winter, and generally buildings don't have good heating systems either. My current place is drafty but at least it's small so it heats up fast. I've got a new pair of thermal socks from the outdoors store and a pair of slippers to keep me warm too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California