Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 01:14 PM

593 posts, read 1,412,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilushka View Post
Overturning our current marijuana laws would put all these criminals out of business and would create a profitable legal industry.
YES!!!

I find it very funny (odd funny, sad funny, curious funny, paranoid funny) that in these harsh economic times that the government wouldn't allow people to start growing it to get us out of this economic (and a country-wide mental) depression we are slipping into. People could start paying their mortgages again, people would have money to feed their families, we could become an agrarian society again, we might even save the environment, we would have an alternative to bankruptcy and other financial woes (have you all noticed how many people are committing suicide & robbing banks?), rather than society making us all feel like we are worthless if we can't get ahead.

People can start making money again (money from practically nothing), the gov't can start taxing it, the medical industry can start trials to study it, we can try to get the gangs and the crime out of it, yet they just sit there and pretend it's 1920 and it's still reefer madness business as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 02:47 PM

68 posts, read 167,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
YES!!!

I find it very funny (odd funny, sad funny, curious funny, paranoid funny) that in these harsh economic times that the government wouldn't allow people to start growing it to get us out of this economic (and a country-wide mental) depression we are slipping into. People could start paying their mortgages again, people would have money to feed their families, we could become an agrarian society again, we might even save the environment, we would have an alternative to bankruptcy and other financial woes (have you all noticed how many people are committing suicide & robbing banks?), rather than society making us all feel like we are worthless if we can't get ahead.

People can start making money again (money from practically nothing), the gov't can start taxing it, the medical industry can start trials to study it, we can try to get the gangs and the crime out of it, yet they just sit there and pretend it's 1920 and it's still reefer madness business as usual.
One example of this BS is my hometown of San Jose who is dealing with all kinds of budget cuts. During the last election we passed a separate San Jose tax on the MMJ dispensaries. The tax passed by a land slide and in the first month SJ collected more than 300k, which would add up to a kosher 3+ mil. per year. What happens next? Well, apparently some "people" complained about having too many dispensaries, too close to schools, with too many "suspicious" characters hanging around them. The city council decided to close all, but 10, dispensaries out of estimated 100. It might sound like a lot but think about how many liquor stores we have; why couldn't they deal with dispensaries the same way they deal with stores that sells alcohol? Instead they are closing 90 profitable businesses, on which people took out loans or invested their own money, and which happily paid a solid percentage to the city, not to mention to the state and the nation.

In the country/society that is so heavily focused on wealth I find it suspicious when we get all self-righteous when it comes to new sources of revenue.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:51 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,876,928 times
What are the chances of finding a jury in California that would convict anyone on charges of possession? If it only takes one juror to cause a mistrial the Feds will quit prosecuting after a dozen hung juries.
GL2

Old 10-21-2011, 01:00 AM

462 posts, read 742,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Not too surprising even though Obama stated he would tell the fed to back off of such activity. While I voted for him (watch what happens now that I said that lol), as all politicians do, he went back on his word. California has been ignoring the fed on this for years and it is one such thing that is slowly but surely widening the rift between Washington DC and Sacramento.
What a joke this guy has been (referring to Obama).

Old 10-25-2011, 08:18 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,909,043 times
Default ‘Cognitive Chaos’ May Fuel Marijuana’s Side Effects'

Just ran across this article discussing 'Cognitive Chaos' with regard to marijuana's side effects ... article touches on cannabinoid-related schizophrenia. Because this thread included some posts about possible links between the drug and schizophrenia, I thought some of you readers might find the link interesting to read further.

I still think marijuana should be legalized -- yesterday ... but I also have personal experiences connected to its devastating coincidence with certain diseases and conditions in loved ones ... it is not without serious risks ... but then, that is true of many things that humans crave.

"Beyond supporting assumptions about the crucial role of cannabinoid receptors in memory formation and complex behavior, the research might lead to better understanding of cannabinoid-related schizophrenia.
“Marijuana has been vaguely associated with schizophrenia over the years. People who abuse marijuana in their younger years have higher risk for it later in life,” Jones said. Furthermore, he said, symptoms of schizophrenia manifest in some adults who receive a dose of THC."

‘Cognitive Chaos’ May Fuel Marijuana’s Side Effects | Wired Science | Wired.com

Old 10-25-2011, 08:41 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,855,764 times
Yikes!
I clicked on your link and my computer totally froze.
I had to shut it down the wrong way, turned it on again and tried to go to my home page but the unloaded pages from your link (there were two of them) were still on the screen and it was still "frozen".
I shut it down again, brought it back and then ran a Norton scan and it's resolved but, maybe it's just my computer?, that link is risky i think.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:49 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,909,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Yikes!
I clicked on your link and my computer totally froze.
I had to shut it down the wrong way, turned it on again and tried to go to my home page but the unloaded pages from your link (there were two of them) were still on the screen and it was still "frozen".
I shut it down again, brought it back and then ran a Norton scan and it's resolved but, maybe it's just my computer?, that link is risky i think.
Hey, that's not good! But I just re-clicked myself to check ... braving fire in search of Truth, and all that ... as you can see, I'm here without ill-effect. Dunno what happened to your computer ... considering your views on the medical marijuana (and non-medical), do you think it was a 'sympathy vibe'?

Jokes aside ... the link is to Wired Science -- Wired.com ... and well known, stable site. If you have ongoing concerns, you could just go straight to Wired.com and skip the link ...

Old 10-25-2011, 09:24 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,855,764 times
Here are some fun links from an old internet haunt of mine ... on marijuana and some other stuff too.
Since i can't read the link you provided i will only say that it may be wise for human beings who are genetically vulnerable to schizophrenia to abstain from mind altering substances until the time that there brain is fully formed (what? age 20 something?).

deoxy.video

deoxy.video

deoxy.video

deoxy.wiki : Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Cannabis

Liberty and the Pursuit of Forbidden Fruit

The Reunification of the Sacred and Natural

US Government the World's Leading Drug Peddler

The Illegal Search for Self Awareness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California