Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:30 AM

199 posts, read 1,132,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
This might be a silly question, but years ago a co-worker who camped up in the SLO area told me that there were migrations of giant spiders up there during the year. Does that make sense? What other kind of creepy crawlies do you get there?
I have no idea about the giant spiders. There are tarantulas, but I only have seen one, on a back road, in my 17 years here.

Black widows are a bug to be careful of. Earwigs are a pest, and ants. Mostly little sugar ants, but here in the far north county, I have discovered harvester ants and they sting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 07:22 PM

68 posts, read 247,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
This might be a silly question, but years ago a co-worker who camped up in the SLO area told me that there were migrations of giant spiders up there during the year. Does that make sense? What other kind of creepy crawlies do you get there?

I sure hope not! If so, we will be seeing an awful lot of Western Exterminator. Yikes!

Old 08-26-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar9 View Post
I have no idea about the giant spiders. There are tarantulas, but I only have seen one, on a back road, in my 17 years here.

Black widows are a bug to be careful of. Earwigs are a pest, and ants. Mostly little sugar ants, but here in the far north county, I have discovered harvester ants and they sting!
Tarantulas???? Black Widows???

We are looking at houses in Arroyo Grande and Los Osos. I hope they don't have too many of those creatures. If we have regular pest control and not alot of brush in our yard, would we have much of a problem?

Old 08-26-2007, 07:26 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,300 times
Not to worry, there are fewer insect problems in the area than in 90% of the country.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I'm an RN and, the French hospital nurses are currently protesting lousy pay and working conditions that are compromising patient care there ...

Generally, in my experience, the care isn't all that great when the nurses are really PO'd. So, my guess is that the care at French hospital probably isn't excellent.
It always boggles my mind that they don't pay nurses what they deserve. They do most of the work!!! When someone is disgruntled, they aren't at their best regardless of industry. But medical professionals need to be at their best at all times for obvious reasons.

Hopefully they take care of their nurses and other staff at the other hospitals in the area!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:15 PM

74 posts, read 199,013 times
Great, another LA transplant moving to SLO so housing costs can be drivin up even further, and the young families can be drivin out of state. Stay in LA so us young people can afford to buy a house here! Sorry for the rant, i'm just terribly sick of it!

Old 08-27-2007, 04:30 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
I must mention (about the airport) that unless cost doesn't matter, airplane tickets flying out of SLO can be prohibitively expensive. Most people drive or take the bus or train to L.A. or S.F. and then fly from there. Flying from SLO will often double the cost of your ticket. Sometimes you'll get lucky out of Santa Barbara but that's rare.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:15 AM

199 posts, read 1,132,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalou View Post
Tarantulas???? Black Widows???

We are looking at houses in Arroyo Grande and Los Osos. I hope they don't have too many of those creatures. If we have regular pest control and not alot of brush in our yard, would we have much of a problem?
Okay, let me repeat. I only saw one tarantula on a back road-never in a yard or near civilization.

Black Widows sound bad, and they are if you get bit. However, they love to hang out in cool, dark places. As long as you are careful about not sticking your hand into dark areas of your garage without looking first, you'll be fine. Pest Control will take care of it, too.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:03 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalou View Post
It always boggles my mind that they don't pay nurses what they deserve. They do most of the work!!! When someone is disgruntled, they aren't at their best regardless of industry. But medical professionals need to be at their best at all times for obvious reasons.

Hopefully they take care of their nurses and other staff at the other hospitals in the area!
Not to get too off topic but ...

The reason the nurses in SLO aren't in a great bargaining position is because there is, to my knowledge, only one other hospital there. So ... it's not like other places in California where the nurses can easily take a hike and get a job tomorrow at a dozen other hospitals ...

And, since it is such a gorgeous area ... they're probably reluctant to move. So that's why, IMO, nursing wages are low there compared to other areas of the state.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXBound View Post
Great, another LA transplant moving to SLO so housing costs can be drivin up even further, and the young families can be drivin out of state. Stay in LA so us young people can afford to buy a house here! Sorry for the rant, i'm just terribly sick of it!
I am glad I found the one unfriendly person in SLO - I knew ONE had to exist. You should be happy the cost of homes in your area would increase. Buy before they go up more so you can profit from it. Find a way to make it happen instead of blaming others for your shortcomings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California