Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:51 AM

356 posts, read 1,066,403 times

Advertisements

Both cities are just entirely different from another in terms of its aesthetic and vibe.

I think both are unique in there own way, but for me, I like the character of San Francisco a lot more. I like colder weather, density, interesting architecture and the ability to walk everywhere.

As Californians we are lucky to have two great cities, that are night and day from one another, in the same state.

In what other region in the US, can you find a city that has an east coast, hustle and bustle energy of SF and the massive sprawl of LA all in one state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 09:21 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
Plus, SoCal gets Las Vegas and NorCal gets Reno (bleh)
Sorry but Reno runs circles around Vegas as far as quality of life as far as Im concerned. Have you ever left the strip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinUSA
vanity is alive and well in SF
One of the rare cases where vanity might actually be justified.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:11 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
Both cities are just entirely different from another in terms of its aesthetic and vibe.

I think both are unique in there own way, but for me, I like the character of San Francisco a lot more. I like colder weather, density, interesting architecture and the ability to walk everywhere.

As Californians we are lucky to have two great cities, that are night and day from one another, in the same state.

In what other region in the US, can you find a city that has an east coast, hustle and bustle energy of SF and the massive sprawl of LA all in one state?
Don't let the driveways and lawns fool you, LA is very much Hustle and Bustle as well. But In LA you can have a better combination of both worlds IMO. I don't care about the differences really, Amoeba Music is in both cities, one on Haight street and the other on Sunset Blvd

Old 09-14-2012, 12:46 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
it's kinda hard to hustle and bustle when you're stuck in traffic on the 405 all day long

but point well taken. LA has an energy of its own. It's not like NYC, but people definitely get things done in LA/

Old 09-17-2012, 09:17 AM

78 posts, read 193,548 times
I'm a SD native and have always loved SF while growing up since i have family up there... hated LA. But now it's switched. Made a lot of friends up in the bay and were friendly.. until they came down to SoCal... they would always brag about how they were from the bay area and asked why cant socal be like norcal and they were just plain cocky and showed disrespect to people down here. after 4 years i decided to give the bay another shot... still same **** "SF is a real city, LA is a third world country." or "F*#@ SoCal and their sunshine and slippers!" it disgusted me and therefore i never visit the bay again.. i've only been there twice and i don't plan on going back up again. The pomposity that exists up there is freakin ridiculous!!

As for LA, my mom moved there and so i switched back and forth between SD and LA throughout the year... fell in love with it despite the pollution, traffic clogged freeways, and suburban/city feel.... at first LA doesn't seem like a big city.. but once you go around and see everything.. your eyes open... also LA and NYC can compare and contrast in many ways

NY: most extensive mass transit system, dense, vertical, largest population, biggest city, northeast, times square, dense core, the premier city of the east

LA: most extensive highway system, dense, horizontal, second largest population, second biggest city, southwest, hollywood; koreatown; nokia plaza, sprawled out, the premier city of the west

Both are the two perfect examples of the "American Metropolis"

Yes LA is dense, maybe even denser than NY.. there was an article about it i'll have to look for it online. LA isn't NY obviously, its LA, its its own thing. What i hate about SF is they wanna be a NY, they literally think and believe they are NY, "oh yea uhh.. oakland is our brooklyn hah and we're manhattan" its hilarious! where the hell is the originality in that?!? you're not NY, so stop... you're just SF.

Don't get me wrong I ABSOLUTELY LOVE San Francisco, the city is beautiful with its rich historic architecture and natural beauty, marvelous bridges, charming, great shopping and has a european kick to it.. i can see why they call it the paris of the west. BUT THE PEOPLE are what turn me off and convince me not to visit. Its true when they say SoCal loves The Bay, but the bay hates socal... now i know not everyone in norcal is that way... but about 84% of the people i know up there.. always hating

Its like the big dog(LA) and little dog(SF) scenario. The little dog keeps yapping and barking its mouth, annoying the big dog, but the big dog just goes about its day ignoring the little dog. Anyways SF or LA both are in California... its a blessing to have both cities. What would be the fun if they were exactly the same right???

Old 09-17-2012, 11:48 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sorry but Reno runs circles around Vegas as far as quality of life as far as Im concerned. Have you ever left the strip?
Who cares? The context of the quote was clearly referring to Reno and Vegas as destinations/places to visit. Vegas is about a million times better than Reno in that regard. Even as far as a place to live Reno doesn't really have a lot over Vegas considering how much smaller it is.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:18 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,285,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Are you kidding me? Maybe if you're talking about living, but in terms of visiting, Vegas has world class hotels, restaurants, shopping, nightlife, etc. For Reno, not so much.

But, its an easy 1 hour flight to Vegas from the Bay Area, so its not like we're missing out by not living nearby.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:22 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,139,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Are you kidding me? Maybe if you're talking about living, but in terms of visiting, Vegas has world class hotels, restaurants, shopping, nightlife, etc. For Reno, not so much.

But, its an easy 1 hour flight to Vegas from the Bay Area, so its not like we're missing out by not living nearby.
Exactly.

But, the nice thing about the LA area, you can take a spontaneous trip to Vegas because it is in easy driving distance. SF is close to Tahoe/Reno which is nice too.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:45 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,285,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Exactly.

But, the nice thing about the LA area, you can take a spontaneous trip to Vegas because it is in easy driving distance. SF is close to Tahoe/Reno which is nice too.
Considering the amount of drinking I do in Vegas, I prefer flying.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:29 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Not to mention that that drive back on 15 to LA is ungodly awful sometimes.

It took my 9 hours to get from LV to SD on my way back once...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California