Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:06 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnikki1 View Post
There is a good likelihood I will get into one or more of these schools as the Social Work graduate program I'm applying for is not very competitive and they are going to be looking for more people to fill these spots. California is actually the top place where they will be looking for Social Workers. I've done my research on job locations thus far but I've hit road blocks as far as the areas to live.
A friend of mine in Long Beach has her MSW and severely underpaid for her level of education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 10:06 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Maybe leave the dogs behind, it will make life way easier.
If they're small dogs it shouldn't be a problem. There will probably be a pet fee, and maybe increased rent - but all that is easily surmountable if she loves her pets.

It they're big dogs, then she might find going to SDSU is her best bet, since renting a small house somewhat close to school, might be possible.

I went to SDSU for several years, and I earned a certificate from USC, and I just got accepted to UCLA for another program - so I have a bit of experience with all this, and I can't imagine finding a place where big dogs are possible near USC or UCLA - on a typical student's budget - but it might be possible near SDSU.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:49 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnikki1 View Post
... the Social Work graduate program I'm applying for is not very competitive and they are going to be looking for more people to fill these spots. California is actually the top place where they will be looking for Social Workers.
Not to be discouraging but your timing couldn't be worse. There are very few jobs in social work here now and the state's social services budget is about to be sliced (again). Colleges can't operate without tution, though, so be careful what they tell you in terms of job availability. You need to go into this with your eyes wide open. http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...0,746147.story

Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I sure hope the thread starter is being bankrolled by someone back home. Affording enough space for two kids in a safe area of coastal California is not cheap even when there's two working adults in the household. Are these kids school age or do they require day care? Throw two dogs into the mix and that knocks most apartments out. Renting a townhouse can easily be over $2000/mo in safe area.
^^^This is what I was thinking^^^

Old 07-14-2018, 09:21 PM

6 posts, read 2,943 times
I'm also a single mother of two and not attending school but want to move there so I am wondering if you made it and if you have any advice for a single mother situation. I'm a collections agent so with a salary as such would I be silly to even try this alone w only my income ? Kids are in kindergarten and middle so no daycare. I just googled single mother of two moving to ca and this pulled up so I'm not sure you're still active on this but I just thought I would I try. I would have to sell my house first so it would be around 2 years as well for me to make a move. Iv looked at mission veijo and Irvine and just a few areas around there so would I make it or should I wait until I don't have to question it? Oh and no pets for us.

Last edited by Mjgraham; 07-14-2018 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: Forgot

Old 07-14-2018, 11:52 PM

127 posts, read 140,794 times
The UC schools have really nice, family apartments that are cheaper than market rates and I think they also offer affordable childcare.

I would look into putting your name on a waitlist as soon as possible.

Just realized this is an old post. Oops.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:13 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjgraham View Post
I'm also a single mother of two and not attending school but want to move there so I am wondering if you made it and if you have any advice for a single mother situation. I'm a collections agent so with a salary as such would I be silly to even try this alone w only my income ? Kids are in kindergarten and middle so no daycare. I just googled single mother of two moving to ca and this pulled up so I'm not sure you're still active on this but I just thought I would I try. I would have to sell my house first so it would be around 2 years as well for me to make a move. Iv looked at mission veijo and Irvine and just a few areas around there so would I make it or should I wait until I don't have to question it? Oh and no pets for us.
I don't know how much collections agents make, but you can look at Craigslist rentals for the areas you're interested in, to see if the rents are doable for you. Also take a look at Sacramento.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:18 AM

Thank you. I'll check out Sacramento as well!

Old 08-01-2018, 12:10 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
The OP never made it. She moved to Denver. Honestly I rarely see the working single mother here like I used to where I'm from. You won't be able to afford to live in an area that's good and in CA that can mean raising your kids in a very iffy neighborhood. There are no affordable family friendly neighborhoods here...

Old 08-01-2018, 05:35 PM

I was actually afraid of that myself. We are from a very small town but my son is gay and I would like to move to bigger place where it isn't so uncommon per se. He is still just a child and I want to be somewhere that isn't so judgmental. We have had a very hard time with bullying at school and I know people can be cruel anywhere we go but I felt like ca may be more fitting for us. I just want him to know it isn't wrong and I want him to grow up in an environment that is more liberal. It's very important to me that he is comfortable in his own skin so I'm trying to do what I can to make that happen. I will most definitely try to find out more about areas that are going to be best for us as far as safe neighborhoods and such I'm just getting started with looking into this so it will take time to check off the list of things to look into. I don't plan on rushing into it by any means as I want to make sure it will work out before making any big decisions on it. Its scary to make such a move but it's scarier to watch my son be mentally and emotionally drained from being treated badly at school based off who he is as a person. We will figure it out I just need some advice as far as where to live or what are the best options in my case if possible. Good and bad feedback I like to know how people feel and their personal views on the situation before I place my family beside them. I don't want to go somewhere because the pic online is beautiful but get there and find out I'm in the bad parts of the area because I honestly wouldn't know which places are bad or good as far as safety or better neighborhoods go. On the other hand I don't want to move somewhere that I would be dangerously broke or struggling to make a monthly payment in a bad neighborhood bc that would also affect my children. Thank you in advance for any help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California