Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 12:25 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjgraham View Post
I was actually afraid of that myself. We are from a very small town but my son is gay and I would like to move to bigger place where it isn't so uncommon per se. He is still just a child and I want to be somewhere that isn't so judgmental.
What's the nearest larger city to where you currently live? Have you thought about starting there?

Most cities of any size have LGBT advocate organizations. Give the one in the nearest city a call to discuss your concerns. They should be able to discuss the LGBT community and safety issues for your son.

Work in concentric circles -- start close to home, then if that doesn't work, widen the search by 100/200 miles.

It's likely there are cities closer to where you are now that would work for your family that won't involve an expensive move to a high cost of living state like California. It's also much easier to research areas when you can drive over for weekend visits, instead of having to fly to a far away place.

Sometimes, staying closer to "home" has advantages.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 06:42 AM

6 posts, read 2,943 times
Thank you so much. I'm closer to Nashville I just know a couple of people from here have moved to ca because of that reason alone. I have contemplated moving to Nashville I'm just not sure if it would be much different but I will call the organization/s to check that out too. Thank you for your help.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:55 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Try Oregon, its cheaper and I knew gay people from the south who had moved there just for the cultural reasons. CA has cheap areas but they are Trump country if you know what I mean so its not going to be what you are looking for.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:40 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Thank you so much. I'm closer to Nashville I just know a couple of people from here have moved to ca because of that reason alone. I have contemplated moving to Nashville I'm just not sure if it would be much different but I will call the organization/s to check that out too. Thank you for your help.
How about Asheville? Too isolated?

Portland, OR, isn't a bad idea, or maybe Salem or Eugene. I'm not sure how large a population base you need, as a collections agent. But also look at Sacramento, CA; state capital, lower rents, CA-level pay. Or do you do your work from home? Is it internet-based work?

Old 08-02-2018, 03:04 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
If you're in TN, you and your son might try getting in touch with this organization for LGBT teens/youths in Nashville: http://justusoasis.org/ It looks like they have a lot of great events and support programs for kids.

There's also a PFLAG chapter in Nashville, which might be helpful for you to connect with as a parent. Here's the link to the PFLAG Nashville website, which also has a full page of other LGBT organizations in Nashville: http://pflagnashville.org/resources-new/organizations/

Finally, this article on the LGBT community in Nashville might be helpful for you and your son to read. https://www.tennessean.com/story/opi...ity/102320306/

Good luck!

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-02-2018 at 03:14 PM..

Old 08-02-2018, 08:22 PM

Thank you so much I have looked them up and going to find out more about it. Thank you for the links !!

Old 08-05-2018, 07:25 PM

1,122 posts, read 962,275 times
I will tell you it is EXPENSIVE to live in Southern California. People have all sorts of dreams to live here but they do not realize just how expensive it is.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:09 PM

1,122 posts, read 962,275 times
MJ you mentioned you were looking for a more Liberal place to live because of your son. Can I just say I think you are misguided in your thinking - that you need to be in a Liberal town/City. I am a Conservative YET I have many Gay friends. I was offended actually because there seems to be this mindset that we do not like LGBTQ community and this is not true. Very sad. My friend actually is Gay and works with Gay teens here in Southern California. Please do not assume we do not like Gays/Lesbian. :-)

DKM what is Trump country? I wish I had not wandered onto this thread. Sad!

Old 08-05-2018, 10:09 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnikki1 View Post
I am planning to move with my twins and two dogs to California. Its always been a dream of mine to live there. I am planning to move there after I graduate college in two years to make California our home, attend graduate school and start a career there.

The Graduate schools I'm looking at are USC, University of California - Berkeley, UCLA and San Diego State University. What are affordable and family friendly areas to live? I'm trying to gather as much information as possible so in two years all we have to do is move.

Thank you in advance!
Unless you’re “don draper from madmen” rich be prepared to live in poverty.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
MJ you mentioned you were looking for a more Liberal place to live because of your son. Can I just say I think you are misguided in your thinking - that you need to be in a Liberal town/City. I am a Conservative YET I have many Gay friends. I was offended actually because there seems to be this mindset that we do not like LGBTQ community and this is not true. Very sad. My friend actually is Gay and works with Gay teens here in Southern California. Please do not assume we do not like Gays/Lesbian. :-)

DKM what is Trump country? I wish I had not wandered onto this thread. Sad!
I think you have mis read somewhere on my post I'm not sure but my whole post was about moving to ca bc of that reason alone. I wanted to move to southern ca to be in a more liberal environment vs the small and very country town I live in ppl seem to be very close minded at the school and town overall here. Sorry for the confusion. I was only asking what were the best places to live in ca basically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California