Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 01:28 PM

653 posts, read 945,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
We are in the same situation Dclamb3 and I agree with your post 100%..
Leave 99% of family behind go to the 1% in CA.. With young kids in tow.. Not out of desperation... Just following dreams and desires...We are old enough to be "stable", mortgages and stuff like that are not an issue anymore at our age... Yes will we go from 80 acres of beautiful forest and a lake out the front door and out the back door, to a tiny plot of land in CA... But that is the way it is.. I would love to have the "guts" to seriously consider Costa Rica... Maybe next time, Maybe when the kids leave the house....

IMO life is too short to be tied down... Think of the sense of adventure our ancestors had when they made the trip across the Atlantic...
Exxactly!!! That's REALLY exciting!! And with kids, no less! Sounds like a lot of fun, actually.

I don't need a lot of things, a large house, or a fancy car. Experience has taught me that those things actually stress me out. What I DO need is food in my stomach, healthy puppies and family (no matter where the family is), and fabulous weather for several reasons (hence, CA ). That's really about it.

It's very unusual in my family for anyone to move without a large clan. Greeks typically travel in packs when they move (like when they came to this country, or moved to Maryland). However, I'll be going to CA alone. I suppose in a lot of ways, I've always been the nonconformist in the family (although, I prefer "trail-blazer" ).

Old 02-16-2012, 04:29 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Or adventurous.
Now don't get me wrong -- I love travelling all over the world, and visiting new places. But as far as actually moving to a new location permanently, no way. The last time I moved house was 15 years ago, when I moved from Fremont to Union City. (From a rented apartment to a purchased house.) Actual distance was about three miles. And I hope I never have to move again.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:55 PM

653 posts, read 945,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
Now don't get me wrong -- I love travelling all over the world, and visiting new places. But as far as actually moving to a new location permanently, no way. The last time I moved house was 15 years ago, when I moved from Fremont to Union City. (From a rented apartment to a purchased house.) Actual distance was about three miles. And I hope I never have to move again.
lol Precious. Hey, nothing wrong with that at all. Different strokes for different folks. I'm fairly certain there will come a time I feel the same way. I'm just not there yet (close though. ).

Old 02-17-2012, 02:41 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movestoomuch View Post
Where is that?
Not the ghetto he'd like you to think it is. I'm sure many other areas of CA had more graffiti than ED County. More like crazy bureaucratics gone wild.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:54 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Anyone on the brink yet? If you are on the fence about leaving the state, where are greener pastures? What states, and cities/towns are you looking at for a relocation? When the state tries to find more revenues by taxing us into oblivion, what will you do? What will be the last straw for you?
There are no greener pastures. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you. Yes, we left CA, and 9 months later we came back. CA taxes are nothing compared to where we went. We were never "unhappy" here, or "taxed to death". We left because we hopped on that "greener pastures" bandwagon like everybody else. We are happy to be back, and will definitely not move out of CA - ever. Essentially, we took ourselves with us ... and brought ourselves back.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:56 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
We left because...
You were in Texas!

Old 02-17-2012, 04:25 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
YeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw, y'all! Never do that again!

Old 02-17-2012, 05:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Greeks typically travel in packs when they move (like when they came to this country, or moved to Maryland).
But do they bear gifts?

With thanks to Virgil's Aeneid.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:31 PM

74 posts, read 132,622 times
Final straw for me is the huge electric bill. I am sweltering in the heat and still pay $ 350 per month. I have switched to an evaporative cooler and it does work. Now they have a new tax in SB County besides your property taxes everybody has to pay 150 extra tax. It is not the $150, it is the fact that all cities are going bankrupt and I pay a huge amount of taxes. That being said I love the weather here. I love that there is so much to do, loads of restaurants, malls, beaches etc. But I am thinking of moving to Texas.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:20 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
You are just flat out wrong here.

Many states have significantly lower overall taxes than California, especially when combining income taxes with real estate taxes (especially when looking at equivalent property prices).
Just moving to a no income tax State Like TX, TN, FL, WA, etc from CA, with a yearly $100,000 income will save almost $10,000 dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California