Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Mostly only retired people live in the cheaper areas. Or people who can work via computer, and live anywhere. And of course, farmers and people who work in farming communities live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
I think I'm not explaining it well most people
This would be the only coherent thing you've written in this thread.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Mostly only retired people live in the cheaper areas. Or people who can work via computer, and live anywhere. And of course, farmers and people who work in farming communities live there.
Don't really agree with you here, Ruth. Lots of different professions live rural. Public service. Construction. Retail. Forestry. Fisheries. Mechanics. Truck drivers. Butchers, bakers, and candlestick-makers.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Don't really agree with you here, Ruth. Lots of different professions live rural. Public service. Construction. Retail. Forestry. Fisheries. Mechanics. Truck drivers. Butchers, bakers, and candlestick-makers.
True. But one poster seemed to be saying that those areas don't develop, everyone heads to the big megalopolises. The reason is simple: that's where all the jobs are. How many mechanics does a small rural town need? Not too many. How many butchers and bakers, for a town with one or two grocery stores? I was thinking of places like Lake Country, Lassen County, etc. People who choose to move there for the rural ambience often are retired, or cyber-commuting. There have been a number of people posting on the CA threads who fit into those categories.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
True. But one poster seemed to be saying that those areas don't develop, everyone heads to the big megalopolises. The reason is simple: that's where all the jobs are. How many mechanics does a small rural town need? Not too many. How many butchers and bakers, for a town with one or two grocery stores? I was thinking of places like Lake Country, Lassen County, etc. People who choose to move there for the rural ambience often are retired, or cyber-commuting. There have been a number of people posting on the CA threads who fit into those categories.
Approximately 16% of Americans live rural. But that is to define rural as outside of any metropolitan area - even small metros. I am completely sure that the majority of rural residents are NOT retired. Retirement for the majority means access to convenience and medical and easy living - not chopping wood or caring for acreages.

The professions out there are proportional. There is industry, mining, forestry, and agriculture. There are all the services it takes to keep those industries operational. Lots of tradespeople.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 PM

People at Clear Lake and Hidden Valley Lake don't have to chop wood or care for acreage. And a lot of them are retired, they've said so on various forums, as have some people here looking to relocate to places like that. Retired, or working by computer. Of course the trades there are proportional, that's the gist of what I posted. That's why more people than what those areas can support aren't moving there, unless they're retired or work cyber-commute. And that's why most people looking for jobs go to the super-urban areas.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
People at Clear Lake and Hidden Valley Lake don't have to chop wood or care for acreage. And a lot of them are retired, they've said so on various forums, as have some people here looking to relocate to places like that. Retired, or working by computer. Of course the trades there are proportional, that's the gist of what I posted. That's why more people than what those areas can support aren't moving there, unless they're retired or work cyber-commute. And that's why most people looking for jobs go to the super-urban areas.
I don't disagree that most people go looking for work in urban areas. And I never said that there aren't clumps of retired folks living rural. But the majority living out there aren't retired. The fact that people write in to forums that they live retired rurally isn't an actual statistical survey.

Most of the people who live and work rurally are self-motivated independent types.

But anyway, how I (we?) got sucked into this tangent was because of comments made by sweat209. And s/he isn't making a lick of sense about metropolitan areas and why that has anything to do with people from away hating California.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,050,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
This would be the only coherent thing you've written in this thread.
I made a claim it is very costly in California and that there was lack of metropolitan areas and it was too concentrated was the reason why it so costly.

I was claiming that there was lack of metropolitan areas and the population was very concentrated was the reason why so costly. Well Kafkaesque does have point that the price of homes close to the beach will be very costly than the more inland you go.

I'm also not sure of geography of California if more metropolitan areas close to water is even possible may be because of the geography all the new building going on and city sprawl has to go inland from now on.

This will NOT self the problem that California close to water will be very costly well more inland you go it be cheaper.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 AM

536 posts, read 573,958 times
Your first sentence is a bit contradictory Sweat, if you have more metropolitan areas they would also be definition be concentrated. You second follows your own logic, but there is no shortage of major Metropolitan areas in CA. And you are leaving out good sized cities that aren't major metropolitan areas in and of themselves. Bakersfield, which has a decent urban downtown, Modesto, Redding, etc. Your problem is with the free market system, and yes it is cheaper the further inland you go generally, as less people want to live inland than live closer to the beach. Where it's cooler, and not over 100 degrees much. We are a free market society. And people pay for where they want to live.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 AM

153 posts, read 270,025 times
There are valid reasons to dislike California; high housing prices, high taxes for small businesses, ultra green city ordinances (I miss plastic bags), freeway congestion, and just being crowded overall.

But the reason why some people on City-Data diss California is because they wish they could stay, or move back, and trashing the state helps them cope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California