Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 AM

153 posts, read 269,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
Supply is low, demand is high. Simple case of supply and demand at work.
Here's some of Elk Grove. A very nice looking 3/2 for 240k.
Elk Grove Real Estate & Elk Grove Homes For Sale — Trulia.com.
4br 3 bath for 209k.
Elk Grove Real Estate & Elk Grove Homes For Sale — Trulia.com.
4br 2.5 bath for 219k.
8725 Longwill Way, Elk Grove CA - Trulia
Amongst others
Median income in Elk Grove is 72,415 according to 2009 Citi-Data info.
//www.city-data.com/city/Elk-Grove-California.html
About 79k now according to an unnamed competitor website.
Ah, so we're going away from Auburn (since it totally destroys your point), and switching to Elk Grove?

Ok.

But before we start, you DO know that Elk Grove is located right next to Sacramento's most crime filled areas, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 08:23 AM

20 posts, read 19,880 times
Auburn is a good place to live. What's wrong with Auburn?
I bet he's discussing the relative affordability of different communities within the Sacramento
MES. That's what it looks like to me, anyway.
The relative scarcity of homes for sale in Sacramento MES is a topic of frequent discussion in
the Sacramento sub-forum, it's no surprise the price is higher than typically found nationwide.

Last edited by BuffaloSpringfield; 04-24-2013 at 08:35 AM..

Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 AM

536 posts, read 573,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Ah, so we're going away from Auburn (since it totally destroys your point), and switching to Elk Grove?

Ok.

But before we start, you DO know that Elk Grove is located right next to Sacramento's most crime filled areas, right?
Sir, this is not the crime thread. I was discussing your points you raised as to why people hate
CA. I believe the last point in contention has been addressed by BuffaloSpringfield, who has
shown that homes in the Sacramento Metro area are affordable on a national basis. Being
that people who make a median income can purchase homes at a higher rate than the national
average. Shall we recap, or do you acknowledge all your concerns initially stated have been
addressed? Vis a vis unfair generalizations about California?

I shall recap the discussion so it is clear what has been established. Your initial surmise:

Quote:
There are valid reasons to dislike California; high housing prices, high taxes for small businesses, ultra green city ordinances (I miss plastic bags), freeway congestion, and just being crowded overall.
1. There is affordable housing available in CA as shown by BuffaloSpringfield above.
2. As shown by Oldtrader in another thread, taxes are not high everywhere in California.
3. Ultra-green city ordinances are not general to the state. Plastic is widely available.

4. Freeways are not congested throughout the entire state.
5. California is not crowded overall. Most of CA is not densely populated, as shown in this thread

Links available upon request.

Last edited by Kafkaesque; 04-24-2013 at 08:58 AM..

Old 04-24-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
There is affordable housing available in CA as shown by BuffaloSpringfield above.
I agree, if you live in the boonies, or next to meth labs. But what about places where I don't want to have a private security guard with me at all times?

Old 04-24-2013, 10:01 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
I agree, if you live in the boonies, or next to meth labs. But what about places where I don't want to have a private security guard with me at all times?
Ok, that's enough.

$125,000
Single family home, walk to schools, fenced yards, lawns, nice shade trees, parks and recreation, fishing ...
44 miles to Sacramento
62 miles to San Francisco
less than 50% national average for crime

621 Anderson Way, Rio Vista CA - Trulia

$125,000

... and no, this isn't the only one or the only such area in California.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Ok, that's enough.

$125,000
Single family home, walk to schools, fenced yards, lawns, nice shade trees, parks and recreation, fishing ...
44 miles to Sacramento
62 miles to San Francisco
less than 50% national average for crime

621 Anderson Way, Rio Vista CA - Trulia

$125,000

... and no, this isn't the only one or the only such area in California.

Yes, 62 miles to S.F, but with a real commute time of 1.5 to 2 hours one way. Have you ever been on highway 4?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, 62 miles to S.F, but with a real commute time of 1.5 to 2 hours one way. Have you ever been on highway 4?
Yes. Years and years of it. I didn't claim it was a short commute to San Francisco for daily work. You have been arguing and arguing and arguing that there is no affordable housing within reasonable reach of urban centers -- for work and for pleasure (like sporting and other entertainment events you don't go to daily -- you previously put a figure of 3 hours as being ridiculous for that -- how about an hour to hour and a half). That is patently not true.

I just provided you an example (of which there are many). It is readily commutable to Sacramento -- which is a major urban center for employment. It is entirely commutable to fringe Bay area communities of Antioch, Pittsburg, Concord, Walnut Creek. Even reasonably commutable to Richmond and Oakland and Berkeley. Now please tell us that there is no employment in any of those cities. No retail, finance, manufacturing, services, medical, educational, research, etc. Only downtown S.F.?

Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Yes. Years and years of it. I didn't claim it was a short commute to San Francisco for daily work. You have been arguing and arguing and arguing that there is no affordable housing within reasonable reach of urban centers -- for work and for pleasure
So you bring up Rio Vista to prove that it's possible? LOL

A 3-4 hour round trip commute to work is not reasonable. In fact it's what people call a "mega commute", seriously look it up, it's a real term now days. People who do it suffer greatly in their personal lives, not to mention their health. That's why homes in boonie places like Rio Vista are so cheap. Normal human beings don't want to sit in a car or subway train 3-4 hours a day just to get to and from work to come home to some 1,300 sqft crap shack that is being marketed towards "investors" aka "the inside of this house is so messed up, we won't even show pictures on the MLS!" Why don't you post the median list or sold prices in Rio Vista which are climbing over $200,000 dollars, and not some investor special crap shack? Oh right, because it sort of buries your point that paying $200,000+ to commute 3-4 hours to work is reasonable, when in reality it sucks ass.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:19 PM

536 posts, read 573,754 times
Surprisingly enough it's possible to live in Rio Vista without the commute.
Rio Vista's unemployment rate is 10.6, worse than national average by 2 points. There are jobs available in Rio
Vista. Their average commute time there is 30 minutes
Obviously you are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.
I find your definition of boonies entirely subjective, and leave you with that.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-21-2013 at 06:46 AM..

Old 04-24-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
So you bring up Rio Vista to prove that it's possible? LOL

A 3-4 hour round trip commute to work is not reasonable. In fact it's what people call a "mega commute", seriously look it up, it's a real term now days. People who do it suffer greatly in their personal lives, not to mention their health. That's why homes in boonie places like Rio Vista are so cheap. Normal human beings don't want to sit in a car or subway train 3-4 hours a day just to get to and from work to come home to some 1,300 sqft crap shack that is being marketed towards "investors" aka "the inside of this house is so messed up, we won't even show pictures on the MLS!" Why don't you post the median list or sold prices in Rio Vista which are climbing over $200,000 dollars, and not some investor special crap shack? Oh right, because it sort of buries your point that paying $200,000+ to commute 3-4 hours to work is reasonable, when in reality it sucks ass.
Now you are being speciously selective -- and nasty in your response. As I wrote, Rio Vista is not a 3 - 4 hour commute from many cities in the Bay area and Sacramento. Nor is that house an investor crap shack. And neither are a half dozen others in that town under $150K ... I did not list the foreclosures which start in the $50K range. I did list the many cities within commute where people work in all kinds of professions.

I and Kafkaesque have addressed every one of the issues you have been raising about work and entertainment venues, public safety and crime and traffic congestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California