Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:21 PM

5 posts, read 20,190 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm a new teacher in California, and I have no idea where I want to live. I've grown up in Northern Ca my whole live, Redding and Chico areas, so I don't really know the rest of CA. Does anyone know a place that is relatively safe for a 23 year old girl on her own? A lot of the jobs I've seen available seem to be in pretty scary places. I'm not super sheltered or anything, I just don't want to feel like I have to bring a knife to the grocery store. Any suggestions of good places to live in Ca would be helpful. (Or warnings of where NOT to live). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 07:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
What living arrangements are you seeking?
What is your housing budget?
Where will you find a job?

Thousand Oaks
Simi Valley
Mission Viejo

Next door to a fireman
Next door to a policeman
Next door to your dad

Old 04-09-2009, 08:12 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Never take a knife to a gun fight any city has it's safe areas, pick a city and ask people who live there about the best area to live in.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
San Luis Obispo County

Old 04-10-2009, 10:38 AM

5 posts, read 20,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What living arrangements are you seeking?
What is your housing budget?
Where will you find a job?

Thousand Oaks
Simi Valley
Mission Viejo

Next door to a fireman
Next door to a policeman
Next door to your dad
the only living arrangements i care about are: cheap enough to rent (like $1000/mo for 1bd or cheaper (1st year teacher--i will have no money)) and safe. i'm pretty open minded about the diversity of the area. don't care if it's poor, as long as it's working class...you know, not a welfare ghetto. really, i just care about it being safe. i've never been rich, so i'm really not expecting a perfect "wysteria lane" suburb or anything. just safe. like, i don't want to end up on an episode of cops.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzey_sl View Post
Hi. I'm a new teacher in California, and I have no idea where I want to live. I've grown up in Northern Ca my whole live, Redding and Chico areas, so I don't really know the rest of CA. Does anyone know a place that is relatively safe for a 23 year old girl on her own? A lot of the jobs I've seen available seem to be in pretty scary places. I'm not super sheltered or anything, I just don't want to feel like I have to bring a knife to the grocery store. Any suggestions of good places to live in Ca would be helpful. (Or warnings of where NOT to live). Thanks!
lizzey,

I think it goes without saying, try and stay away from any inter-city..Look at the burbs outside of San Francisco, OC, Los Angeles and of course some of the cities in the central valley..Parts of Sacramento would be a place to consider, it would be close to home and yet, a new experience for you.

Nita

Old 04-10-2009, 02:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Perhaps a bomb shelter!

Old 04-10-2009, 04:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Maybe what the original poster could do is what this lady did.

This is bitchin:

YouTube - Web cam captures home robbery

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/10/...ion/index.html

Old 04-11-2009, 12:41 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzey_sl View Post
A lot of the jobs I've seen available seem to be in pretty scary places.
That is going to be an issue. You have to remember that 26,000 California teachers got pink slips last month. Educators are scrambling for any available jobs. The ones that end up on EdJoin tend to be the less desirable ones that districts have a difficult time filling. Hopefully there will be stimulus money to fund more teaching positions. This will probably be one of those years when districts will do some last-minute hiring when August rolls around. Keep your eyes open and be ready to move at a moment's notice.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:36 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
If you get a job in the LA area, come back and tell us and we can help you find safe places to live.

We're actually kind of lucky in California. When you look at the list of "safest cities" that comes out every year, there are quite a few in California in the top 100 and they are not all "just for rich people."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California