Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 11:22 AM

371 posts, read 1,823,277 times

Advertisements

If by "best" you mean mild and utterly boring, than I don't think you can do better than San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara. SLO is a little farther inland than SB, so we might not get as much fog, but they are pretty similar. Count on no more than 10-15 inches of rain a year, and the ability to wear t-shirts, shorts, and sandals 3/4 of the year.
I hate this weather, myself, which may seem rediculous. But like I said its extrememly boring. The rain is pathetic, its more like a slight drizzle. If it drizzles for more than an hour people start mentioning "that storm lastnight" which makes me laugh. Anyway, yea, Central Coast in CA is bett..er.. milder than anywhere else in CA>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 12,164 times
Default Santa Rosa

It can get into the 90s a few weeks in th summer but it's pretty nice otherwise

Old 09-21-2006, 06:27 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,682,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I know everything is relative to individual preference but wonder what the consensus is on the climates of California.

If you look at the state population it seems most people prefer to live near the coastline where the weather is the mildest in California; rarely hot and never really cold. Inland it is both too hot in the summer and can be chilly on winter nights. The desert areas, especially from Palm Springs to El Centro are the sunniest and warmest all year long but unbearably hot for about 6 months straight.

So what's the opinion about where the best weather can be found in California?
San Diego!! You can play outside all year!! I miss it!

Old 09-21-2006, 06:38 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times
California has a Variety of Climates,so it depends on what you enjoy :-)

Old 09-21-2006, 08:09 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,973 times
Caliguy, you should expand upon the reality of microclimates too, for those who haven't been here. Not only does the obvious geographic diversity dictate different climates (oceanside-cool, San Joaquin Valley, hot and dry, northern coastal forests, misty, desert-inforno-like etc.) all over the state, but the topography within areas creates these microclimates, something that people from other state aren't used to. I live in the S.F. Valley, which, although just 12 miles away from coastal L.A., can be 30 degrees different temperature, either way. It has to do with the proximity of the competing climes here, the Pacific Ocean winds blowing from west to east, the desert winds blowing from east to west, and the various mountain ranges and passes either blocking, facilitating or mixing same.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:58 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Caliguy, you should expand upon the reality of microclimates too, for those who haven't been here. Not only does the obvious geographic diversity dictate different climates (oceanside-cool, San Joaquin Valley, hot and dry, northern coastal forests, misty, desert-inforno-like etc.) all over the state, but the topography within areas creates these microclimates, something that people from other state aren't used to. I live in the S.F. Valley, which, although just 12 miles away from coastal L.A., can be 30 degrees different temperature, either way. It has to do with the proximity of the competing climes here, the Pacific Ocean winds blowing from west to east, the desert winds blowing from east to west, and the various mountain ranges and passes either blocking, facilitating or mixing same.
Fastfilm
Interestingly, the very weather you describe will occur this weekend. Tomorrow will start out cloudy and cool but quickly become windy and warm. I'm afraid strong 'santa ana' winds will whip-up the nearby wild fires out of control of the fire departments again. The "Day" fire has burning since Labor Day and is in very rough terrain/Sespe mt. wilderness. Smoke began to move over LA yesterday.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:46 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Santa Barbara! I lived there 8 yrs and absolutely loved the climate. I live in San Diego now (10 miles inland) but still miss the coastal clime of SB.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:05 AM

27 posts, read 157,381 times
Default best weather

We live in Southern California near the beach and it is so much better than even 15-20 minutes inland from the beach as far as weather goes. It could make a difference between 10-18 degrees! Also, housing prices, whether it's near the beach or inland are about $500,000 to start for a modest cute small house, so there is no escaping the way over priced housing for "normal" families like us. We are moving, if we could afford it, of course we would stay since this is home. I do have to agree that the central coast around San Luis Obispo are much cooler. ANd in the fall, for us, it was REALLY cold, that's why we moved quickly back down to southern california. Around 3p.m., it was bone-chilling cold BUT that all depends on what you are used to also. The summers here near the coast in southern california have been from 65-88 degrees. But on the 88 degrees part, other areas were like 95 and higher and it was a "heat wave week". No thanks. But lately, it's been in the 60's and 70's. That's why it's great to live here but you pay the price to live here also. San Diego is REALLY beautiful and laid back. Even the side of the roads looks so cute and cozy with all their natural beauty. The sun feels a bit different there too. More clear and crisp and not muggy and gross. That's a favorite place to go and we drive about 50 minutes just to get a fish taco at Harbor Fish Cafe'. The best and the most delicious fish taco you'll ever eat. But they say it's a fish taco, but it's the size of a burrito! Gorgeous! - Good luck with your search!

Old 09-26-2006, 10:43 AM
jmc

101 posts, read 863,018 times
I would have to say San Diego, although the heat wave we had this year may make people think differently.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 28,967 times
I love the climate in Carmel and the surrounding areas. If only I could afford to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California