Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:21 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,507,295 times

Advertisements

California Legislature approves $92.1-billion budget - latimes.com
"This budget is full of borrowing and gimmicks"

Passing the budget on Friday allows lawmakers to meet their constitutional deadline and prevent their pay from being docked. But some major issues have not yet been decided.
The real incentive

First, negotiations will continue next week over social services and how to fund them. Second, the budget includes an $8-billion-plus hole
More budget holes
that Brown and his allies want voters to fill with new taxes in November
More tax increases. The governor is pushing a plan to temporarily raise the states sales tax and increase income taxes for the wealthy. If voters reject the taxes, he says, the state will be forced to cut billions from public schools and colleges.
More threats to the 'real' services

I wont miss this a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 08:00 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,535 times
Oh come on, you aren't going to miss things like foie gras bans and important food truck regulation (AB 1678 would prohibit food trucks and any other mobile food vendors to stay at least 1500 feet from any elementary or secondary school between the hours of 6 a.m. to 6 p.m).

Anyway, what do you think the chances are of Brown or Munger's tax proposals actually passing?

I have to say that I was really surprised that Prop 29 didn't pass. It seems like the "it isn't a tax on me, so it is fine crowd" didn't turn out to vote.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:21 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,507,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Oh come on, you aren't going to miss things like foie gras bans and important food truck regulation (AB 1678 would prohibit food trucks and any other mobile food vendors to stay at least 1500 feet from any elementary or secondary school between the hours of 6 a.m. to 6 p.m).

Anyway, what do you think the chances are of Brown or Munger's tax proposals actually passing?

I have to say that I was really surprised that Prop 29 didn't pass. It seems like the "it isn't a tax on me, so it is fine crowd" didn't turn out to vote.
Either way, it's a bad thing. The issue is California's lavish spending habits. Public Pensions/etc. The cuts have been coming a lot of the services that the money should be increased in. Not a situation I want to find myself stuck in w/ a family. Taxes increases could pass to be honest. Federal taxes are going to have to increase so support adventures in healthcare and illegal immigrant amnesty.. My thinking is to get to where my tax burden will be the lowest and where I don't have to make mega bucks (taxes aren't adjusted for COL). Investment taxes are going to increase, federal taxes are going to increase, and I predict California's will.. We have a cluster @#*% of liberalism which is expensive and debt overhang. When the bill collector comes around I want to be long gone.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:28 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
I know a lot of people like me who have had enough and are ready to pull the plug. I'm native and love everything but the political structure. One of my old partners headed for Oregon. We have friends in Washington. There are plenty of choices for affluent baby boomers to retire other than california. I refuse to accept that everyone is that bad at math. It has to be part of some larger plan.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Either way, it's a bad thing. The issue is California's lavish spending habits. Public Pensions/etc. The cuts have been coming a lot of the services that the money should be increased in. Not a situation I want to find myself stuck in w/ a family. Taxes increases could pass to be honest. Federal taxes are going to have to increase so support adventures in healthcare and illegal immigrant amnesty.. My thinking is to get to where my tax burden will be the lowest and where I don't have to make mega bucks (taxes aren't adjusted for COL). Investment taxes are going to increase, federal taxes are going to increase, and I predict California's will.. We have a cluster @#*% of liberalism which is expensive and debt overhang. When the bill collector comes around I want to be long gone.
Yes. Why pay your share of being a member of society, that benefits from living in society, when you can focus more on yourself elsewhere?

Last edited by nullgeo; 06-15-2012 at 11:48 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 10:42 PM

6,812 posts, read 9,365,924 times
Glad I moved away, though I hate the fact that Colorado is slowly turning into California as well!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:56 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Yes. Why pay your share of being a member of society, that benefits from living in society, when you can focus more on yourself elsewhere?
Perhaps because when the benefits dwindle yet cost a whole lot more it has a negative effect on your enthusiasm. Just a wild guess. Kinda basic, don't you think?

Old 06-16-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Perhaps because when the benefits dwindle yet cost a whole lot more it has a negative effect on your enthusiasm. Just a wild guess. Kinda basic, don't you think?
There's an old saying, Chief: "We all pay for each others' mistakes" ...
only some of us don't ... some are unwilling to shoulder the burdens with the rest.
My comment was directed at one, who, very young, and without any history of shared sacrifice in his short life, not only has decided that he shouldn't have to struggle along with everybody else, but denigrates and ridicules those who do.

Man is a social animal. We exist and move forward as a society. Errors are made. Some costly. Paths need to be changed. Work needs to be done. Burdens need to be shared. Unless, of course, one considers himself too special.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:30 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
The issue is when I'm asked to pay my share, and yours, and your friends's, and millions of illegals.

We need to live within our means.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The issue is when I'm asked to pay my share, and yours, and your friends's, and millions of illegals.

We need to live within our means.
Living within our means is a good concept. I support the theory, personally.
But it is not how nations or businesses develop. Businesses and nations grow to serve more and better through investment.

Now then, investment needs to be undertaken with sanity, granted -- and ethics would sure be nice. And sanity and ethics are in short supply in the world of aggressive business and nation-building, true.

Personally, I am not in favor of developing business or nations. I'm just saying you can't have what most people subscribe to as business and national, social goals without playing the future. Give me hunter-gatherer tribal life any day. And yes, I am totally serious. Also totally realistic that I am stuck here in development with the rest of you who aren't inclined to primitive living.

So, you want a strong nation with great security and benefits for you and future generations? Then, unless you are proposing -- and willing to execute -- killing off those whom you define as non-productive (and I would challenge your definitions), then you will have to pay for those less "productive" than you ... because, quite simply, not everyone has similar abilities and strengths. We rise and or fall together -- or devolve into a murderous society. Your choice. Railing and bit*hing won't change realities of human nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California