Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 09:42 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,107,149 times

Advertisements

Who cares about the cost of junk food like Milk....how about fresh plant foods? Dirt cheap in California......the other day I spent around $15 for 4 bags of food. Avocados were 4/$1, Red potatoes $.50/lb (doubt these are from CA though..), Peaches were $.59/pound, Okra were $.99/pound, vine tomatoes $.89/pound, etc.

But not only is it cheaper, its better as well. How long does it take for a truck of peaches, or whatever else, to make it to the east coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 09:49 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,909,043 times
I agree with the above. Milk is junk food ... and always amuses me when it is used as a "staple" base for comparisons of grocery pricing. As I live part-time in Hawaii, I cruise and participate the forum there quite a bit as well as California. The Hawaii forum persona is built largely by inquiries from the multitudes dreaming of escape to paradise (which Hawaii ain't, btw) ... and what do you think is the numero uno question in the "How much does it cost to live in Hawaii?" category? You guessed it! Milk!

Vegetables and fruit are the key to good dietary health ... fish and meat follow. But dairy and baked goods and processed "shelf" foods are what people compare?

In the produce category, California reigns supreme.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:26 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,155,119 times
OK, I do not disagree, pasteurized, homogenized cows milk is pretty bad.. I do not feel,that way though about yogurt and some cheeses though... Or goats milk

Anyway, yes I agree fresh foodstuffs people should be eating are cheaper and higher quality in most parts of the state..

Old 07-07-2012, 11:55 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,512,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
In the produce category, California reigns supreme.
No argument with that, except for what it brings in from Mexico which is also found elsewhere. But you can't beat the variety and usually the prices as well. We grow quite a bit of our own to fill in some gaps here.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
OK, I do not disagree, pasteurized, homogenized cows milk is pretty bad.. I do not feel,that way though about yogurt and some cheeses though... Or goats milk

Anyway, yes I agree fresh foodstuffs people should be eating are cheaper and higher quality in most parts of the state..
I do indulge yogurt (organic only -- due to the BHT common in dairy) ... I would indulge cheese except for having determined I'm not biologically cut out for it ... yogurt goes down fine, though. Nevertheless, the bulk of the dairy industry is, well, bullsh*t ...

Old 07-07-2012, 01:32 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,761,614 times
You can still find a good tomato in CA and I do miss the farmer's markets there. I have not seen a good tomato in 7 years.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:51 PM

I find the best tomatoes right in my garden

Old 07-07-2012, 01:57 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,978,876 times
Target: $4.99/gal

Food 4 Less: $2.88/gal

Old 07-07-2012, 03:09 PM

824 posts, read 1,178,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew1056 View Post
Ok, moved here a few years ago. I absolutely loved it. Its beautiful, don't get me wrong. But I can't stand it anymore, here is why.

-They tax you on everything
-EVERYTHING is overpriced.
-Its overcrowded
-The people here are ignorant and rude, not all, but most of them
-San francisco sucks, their are only a few ways to get into the city.. Marin county, bay bridge, or driving up the peninsula. And theirs always traffic.
-Its SUNNY all the time. I like sunny days, but It does get quite annoying when it doesn't rain at all. And when it rains everyone goes crazy like "holy ****, its rain, where gonna die!"
-Natural Gas Lines. If their is a major earthquake, older communities could explode. PG&E is Genius.
-Illegal Immigrants everywhere.

Seriously, I would rather be in death valley then be in SF. Its ****. If the US goes down, california is going down first. Back to the East Coast.
Thank god I Never been to california and never will be and this HSR is gonna make things even worse.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:22 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,555,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Who cares about the cost of junk food like Milk....how about fresh plant foods? Dirt cheap in California......the other day I spent around $15 for 4 bags of food. Avocados were 4/$1, Red potatoes $.50/lb (doubt these are from CA though..), Peaches were $.59/pound, Okra were $.99/pound, vine tomatoes $.89/pound, etc.

But not only is it cheaper, its better as well. How long does it take for a truck of peaches, or whatever else, to make it to the east coast?
Can't figure out why CA has such cheap produce. It's almost as if CA has a magical supply of cheap labor working for suppressed wages and no benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California