Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

Catch my drift? Christians and Right-winged beliefs exist in South County.
Yep, that is a bummer... Need more coastal types to offset the right wing bible bangers and to chase them back over the grade, to your side, where your brains bake in 100 plus temps in north county...

Sure that group is not one of those cult groups.......
SRN Coastal Cult Watch - Central Coast of California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 11:43 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,767,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Yep, that is a bummer... Need more coastal types to offset the right wing bible bangers and to chase them back over the grade, to your side, where your brains bake in 100 plus temps in north county...

Sure that group is not one of those cult groups.......
SRN Coastal Cult Watch - Central Coast of California
Other than Atascadero, I would say North County is not really a Christ-centered area. Sure, Paso and Atascadero have alot of Republicans and Templeton not as much.

Pismo has New Life, the biggest Christian church in the county, and AG has 3 mid-sized churches which are Vineyard, Grace, and Harvest.

Grover Beach and Oceano are more liberal, and more secular. You will also see SLO having less churches and being more secular. Cambria, Morro Bay, Los Osos, and Cayucos are the same.

And I don't think the demographics will change. South County is suburban and family orientated much like Orange County. Nipomo is heading in a liberal direction though.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Other than Atascadero, I would say North County is not really a Christ-centered area. Sure, Paso and Atascadero have alot of Republicans and Templeton not as much.

Pismo has New Life, the biggest Christian church in the county, and AG has 3 mid-sized churches which are Vineyard, Grace, and Harvest.

Grover Beach and Oceano are more liberal, and more secular. You will also see SLO having less churches and being more secular. Cambria, Morro Bay, Los Osos, and Cayucos are the same.

And I don't think the demographics will change. South County is suburban and family orientated much like Orange County. Nipomo is heading in a liberal direction though.
Interesting City... Did not mean to be crass. I do not mind coexisting with "normal" church types that do not feel they need to convert me or my family. I am quite Leary of some of those "new fangled" churches though.. What sect of Christianity are they? Baptist or something?

Why do you say Nipomo is heading a different direction..?

We had a wonderful visit with a Hispanic woman taking a taco break, while moving some furniture from their community church in Cambria... (Thats the kind of church folk, I do not mind..)

Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Interesting City... Did not mean to be crass. I do not mind coexisting with "normal" church types that do not feel they need to convert me or my family. I am quite Leary of some of those "new fangled" churches though.. What sect of Christianity are they? Baptist or something?

Why do you say Nipomo is heading a different direction..?

We had a wonderful visit with a Hispanic woman taking a taco break, while moving some furniture from their community church in Cambria... (Thats the kind of church folk, I do not mind..)
Bapdist and more orthodox based Protestant religions are the bible thumper type.

I can't explain what's going on in Nipomo. I just know all the churches there are small and many of the Hispanics tend not to be Protestant, and non-practicing Catholics. That said, most of the people around my age from Nipomo that I know are liberal except one. And the same goes for kids from AG and Pismo except I know more right-wing kids.

So I am seeing the Hispanics are liberal in Nipomo and the Whites are also liberal too, but I do not know why the whites are liberal. Perhaps maybe because Santa Maria has a growing liberal population as too.

And the only bible thumper types I know are in SLO and Atascadero.

On a side note, Grover Beach could see their first proposal for the county's second mall on West Grand Avenue. It would be one of those new, department-store less lifestyle centers, which I really like.

Apparently there is no land for development in Pismo and AG is too restrictive on development except AG is lineant with residential growth, but AG is only expected to grow by at most 1,500 residents in this decade. Pismo will see the majority of growth with about 2,500 residents when Spanish Springs, and maybe Los Robles Del Mar passes, and existing homes getting filled.

Like .highnlite said, Grover Beach is willing to get anything to generate revenue. There's also hopes that Grover Beach get a grand pier and bonfire pits and something to get people to come to their beach. However, it's hopeful thinking the Coastal Commission or State would allow that stuff. Also, I think I heard Grover Beach is landlocked, so they can't grow with more residential growth.

Last edited by the city; 08-29-2012 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 01:33 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,690,657 times
How about keeping the religion and or politics out of this thread. Stick to flowers and gardens.

"The Farm" Arroyo Grande In Bloom / America In Bloom 2012 YouTube Competition - YouTube

Old 08-29-2012, 04:26 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,959,226 times
[quote=the city;25833110]In other news, Arroyo Grande just recently had Petco and Pier 1 Imports open next to Trader Joes and with plans for another 15,000 sq. ft. building.

Not to mention Smart N Final Extra are opening up where Scolari's was and a new 10,000 sq. ft. market is planned in downtown.

Oh and not too long some apartments started construction on the edge of the city. And the election was cancelled for Arroyo Grande since no one contested the city council.

Last year plans for a private adventist school got approval to expand their school and Coastal Christian got OKd to build a new larger campus in Pismo Beach.

For more information check out the East Grand Avenue Plan and the General Plan for more planned development:

Big Sigh!!

You seem like a nice enough fellow. I have on occasion given you brownie points. BUT, what the heck does this have to do with the original post?
I am sad that all you seem to live for is when the next Big Box store will fly into the Central Coast!

Get a life! Take care of your elderly relatives and plant something pretty rather than dream for a Forever 21 next door to your home.

Sincerely,
Dusty

Old 08-29-2012, 05:36 PM

[quote=Dean Trails;25864636]
Quote:
In other news, Arroyo Grande just recently had Petco and Pier 1 Imports open next to Trader Joes and with plans for another 15,000 sq. ft. building.

Not to mention Smart N Final Extra are opening up where Scolari's was and a new 10,000 sq. ft. market is planned in downtown.

Oh and not too long some apartments started construction on the edge of the city. And the election was cancelled for Arroyo Grande since no one contested the city council.

Last year plans for a private adventist school got approval to expand their school and Coastal Christian got OKd to build a new larger campus in Pismo Beach.

For more information check out the East Grand Avenue Plan and the General Plan for more planned development:

Big Sigh!!

You seem like a nice enough fellow. I have on occasion given you brownie points. BUT, what the heck does this have to do with the original post?
I am sad that all you seem to live for is when the next Big Box store will fly into the Central Coast!

Get a life! Take care of your elderly relatives and plant something pretty rather than dream for a Forever 21 next door to your home.

Sincerely,
Dusty
.highnlite does the same red baron business.

I don't care for big box stores. I more so support higher end national chain stores like found in the Pismo Outlets. Smart N Final Extra will be nice and I also can't complain about Pier 1 since I like them too.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:47 PM

Flowers city flowers....
So AG has the best in the county. IMO SLO second place, Cambria maybe tied with SLO.. North county towns did not impress me for flowers in the town.. Then again how can they compete with coastal climate locations... As one can guess, I rate flowers as more important than shopping....

Old 08-29-2012, 07:04 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,690,657 times
here is how the flowers happen, all community minded volunteers.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
here is how the flowers happen, all community minded volunteers.
Revenue to play for those flowers comes from somewhere you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California