Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:04 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Dawg, I realize you are flush with excitement over your self-perceived cleverness ... but really, time to clear your pipes ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 01:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
With so much sunshine in CA, you'd think most people would be happier on the CA board than on other state boards due to increased vitamin D, lack of SAD, being outside vs. inside on a computer (so less CA people online), etc., yet there seems to be an unusually high number of argumentative and/or just plain nasty people on the CA board compared to other city/state boards. That is very shocking to me.

I'm not starting this for it to turn into a tomato fight (so, no personal attacks towards anyone specifically on the board), I'm simply asking from a purely analytical perspective because psychology is a big topic in my family, so these are just things I think about.

1. People of CA, why do you think there are so many argumentative people on the CA board compared to other city boards? Economy troubles, perhaps (that can certainly be stressful)? Increased number of tech jobs in CA so more people are online 9-5? The fact that CA is so large so it just seems like there are more argumentative people on the CA board, but really the ratio is in keeping with the population? Another reason?

2. Do you think CA residents in real life are happier than those you encounter on C-D? I know that for my current city (Mid-Atlantic now, but CA soon), that the portion of people on C-D are more "Debbie Downers" than the people I know in real life in this city, so, to me, the people you meet on C-D aren't an accurate representation of the people you'd meet in real life in my Mid-Atlantic city (I'm glad I know that because if C-D was my only source of what people are like in my current city, I'd have serious reservations about moving here). What are your thoughts about that same topic as it relates to CA?

I'd be surprised if many, if any, people have enough thought about this topic other than myself, but if you have an opinion, I'm interested to hear it. Please keep responses in line with C-D's TOS. Thank you.
For starters, not all CD posters on the CA board live in CA, some do, some used and some are thinking of re-locating; I don't think the people on this thread are much different than any other ones. Yes, there are those who have problems with CA living. There are reasons for that, the sunshine is a big plus, the beauty of the state is another plus and the diversity, but with this comes, a very high cost of living, relatively high unemployment, problems with the liberal government and the illegals wanting to take over the state. Living someplace that is almost bankrupt isn't a fun place to live; knowing, if you are a government employee or retiree your pention and benefits might be going down the tubes and your dream of living a good life in your advanced years might not come true doesn't help. Also remember, people in other states see Ca as the land of milk and honey but it is not any different than anyplace else. Many people living in Ca are very smug about what the preceive as the greatest land on earth, for others, they can't see that. They either have no jobs, or are under employed, they are living in homes that were purchased for a mil and now worth less than they owe or they are paying a couple thousand in rent each month for a 2 bedroom nothing of a home. Gas prices are off the wall, and the school districts, for the most part are not all that great.

Even with all this, most of us know there are lots of positives about Ca, it is just we have to keep our eyes and ears open and realize no place is utopia.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:05 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
As for paddle boarding (now I'm jealous ), I can't WAIT to be in CA so I can fill my days with such fun activities again!! (hence, my reason for being so perplexed by the grumpsters in CA - how can you be grumpy when you're in California?! )

Very good theories, so far. All different, but all equally accurate, I'd imagine.
I do find that CD is a bit of a snapshot of California, but also of those that left and those that want to come back. In my experience California has both those who love and wouldn't go anywhere else and those who are disgruntled. Our experience in Texas has been good but we didn't leave because we were disgruntled at all in fact the opposite. I will say that texans in general even the new comers seem more content on average. Or maybe they're just quiet about it.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:12 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
There's more of us on this forum than any other I would think. More folks, more opinions.

If this site was called country-data instead of city-data, you would probably find much happier posters.
That's a funny but maybe truism. I always felt that a lot of californians had this stigma about small town or country life. The term hick or okie is common. Here in Texas ranch life, small town life is much more respected and coveted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California