Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 48,491 times

Advertisements

We make 110k here and live in one of the best areas of NOVA (Oakton) with really good schools. We rent a 3 bedroom house with a huge backyard for $2300. Is that not doable there? We don't have an offer letter yet so I'm guessing on the low side $150k but $180 would probably be closer to it. How much does a family of 5 really need to make to live comfortably in the area? If the offer letter is not great we might just stay here. We have a good life here but my husband has always wanted to work at google and I'm willing to move the entire family for him but not sacrifice our life style.

We are in our early thirties so his salary is just a starting one while I'm not even working 15 hours from home so the potential to make more money is there especially of I go back to work full time within a year. I'm curious to know how much would be a good income for our family size in that area. I might be willing to make sacrifices for a year so he can work where he wants. The idea of living in the area is attractive to us due to the weather, quality of food and just the overall change but I also don't want to be in a situation like the one we lives 5 years ago in NYC where we had to deal with long commutes, mediocre schools and ugly towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 10:56 AM

264 posts, read 831,624 times
If you are looking for a cute downtown, top schools, top of the line almost everything..."posh" and quite yuppie; you are probably looking at needing a 300k salary min. In palo alto your equivalent house (older style completely remodeled 3 or 4 bed) will run you apx 4500 a month rent. Almaden you are looking at around 3500 a month (more reasonable obviously). And almaden still gives you great schools but does lack quaintness and the beauty of the more expensive cities.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:58 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camila18 View Post
We make 110k here and live in one of the best areas of NOVA (Oakton) with really good schools. We rent a 3 bedroom house with a huge backyard for $2300. Is that not doable there? We don't have an offer letter yet so I'm guessing on the low side $150k but $180 would probably be closer to it. How much does a family of 5 really need to make to live comfortably in the area? If the offer letter is not great we might just stay here. We have a good life here but my husband has always wanted to work at google and I'm willing to move the entire family for him but not sacrifice our life style.

We are in our early thirties so his salary is just a starting one while I'm not even working 15 hours from home so the potential to make more money is there especially of I go back to work full time within a year. I'm curious to know how much would be a good income for our family size in that area. I might be willing to make sacrifices for a year so he can work where he wants. The idea of living in the area is attractive to us due to the weather, quality of food and just the overall change but I also don't want to be in a situation like the one we lives 5 years ago in NYC where we had to deal with long commutes, mediocre schools and ugly towns.
Sounds like you've got significant upside potential so you should probably go for it. You'll likely have to downgrade your housing situation but it'll probably be worth it just for the experience. Don't forget to factor in possible cash and stock bonuses into your decision. Will Google be paying for your relocation?

Old 09-15-2012, 11:23 AM

Yes they will be paying for all moving expenses and I think they offer a bonus but I'm not exactly sure how much. The offer won't come until late next week so we are going crazy wondering what it is going to be. I was just looking at rents in palo alto and the prices are crazy! Fremont looks a lot more reasonable but then again I have to look at schools. With a junior in HS that takes many AP classes, a challenging academic environment is a must.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Yes they will be paying for all moving expenses and I think they offer a bonus but I'm not exactly sure how much. The offer won't come until late next week so we are going crazy wondering what it is going to be. I was just looking at rents in palo alto and the prices are crazy! Fremont looks a lot more reasonable but then again I have to look at schools. With a junior in HS that takes many AP classes, a challenging academic environment is a must.
You likely won't find a high school there of the same caliber as Oakton but if you're living in a reasonably nice area it'll probably be fine. Is college a consideration? California has excellent public universities, particularly the one just up the road in Berkeley. Commuity colleges there are a bargain compared to NOVA.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 09-15-2012 at 12:02 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 12:15 PM

Thats discouraging since we love Oakton high school and we want something comparable if we move since she is in her last two years. Right now her heart is set on going to UVA since she loves it when my husband did his MBA there a couple of years ago but even if we don't move, we want her to consider universities in the west coast such as Berkeley, Stanford and UCLA. When we moved to NoVa I picked the house based on the high school so I guess I have to do the same this time but I am very worried that we won't be able to afford it in CA.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Thats discouraging since we love Oakton high school and we want something comparable if we move since she is in her last two years. Right now her heart is set on going to UVA since she loves it when my husband did his MBA there a couple of years ago but even if we don't move, we want her to consider universities in the west coast such as Berkeley, Stanford and UCLA. When we moved to NoVa I picked the house based on the high school so I guess I have to do the same this time but I am very worried that we won't be able to afford it in CA.
Schools aren't as big an obsession with the average parent in CA as they are in NoVA. I'm guessing you won't get the same level of feedback about high schools there as you would if you were moving the other way. Perhaps compare test scores.

Most of the Silicon Valley hot shots are probably too young to have high school kids anyway. They've retired to their Napa vineyards by the time they get to that age.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 09-15-2012 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California