Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 09:48 PM

720 posts, read 806,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewardbound20143 View Post
We also started renting after owning and it was depressing but we ultimately found it liberating. Call the management to fix things. Can leave and not worry about the yard, break ins etc.
As a long time CA you will love it hear once you get over culture shock and take time to relax and enjoy. There is so much to see and do.

You will find the reviews will often have the worst not the best. Now that we are moving back to CA we will again be renting because we don't know how long we will be living in the area and the housing market still seems so unstable. We took a terrible hit on our house but thankfully have someone living in it so it cushioned the blow.
Thanks for your response!

Originally from the PNW, we've moved a few times now in the last 12-13 years, all because of the economy going into the toilet and job requirements. Thus far, Alaska was the biggest culture shock, but now we've been there plenty long enough to be used to it.

We've wanted to move to CA for a few years because I've loved CA since I was a child and growing up I spent a lot of time in the state with relatives, and we have a child living in the San Diego area. Although initially we thought we were moving to the Puget Sound, despite all the friends and relatives there, six to seven months of rain a year wasn't all that appealing, therefore the sudden change in plans was a positive change!

We are definitely looking forward to this CA stage of our life adventure. Now we just have to find where to live, and I have to sell our house in Alaska (hoping we don't take a bath on the sale for the first time!) and then I, too, will be free like you described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:02 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Hi pgrdr,

I lived in Lompoc for a year and moved about a month ago for job reasons. Lompoc is a fairly pleasant town for people who like to be in California but not in a huge city. The weather is overall nice. It's only cold if you are from the Bay Area or LA and are spoiled by the most amazing weather possible. It actually gets pretty hot in Sept/Oct. It's a good place for outdoorsy people who like to walk and bike, and wine aficionados. Wine is a very big part of Lompoc culture because of the amount of wineries in the area and in Santa Ynez Valley/Santa Rita Hills.

The beaches are cold and I do not advise ever swimming at Surf Beach. Not only are the currents too strong but there have been shark attacks. It is also closed a lot due to VAFB policy (it's on VAFB land), but if you get a chance to go on a hot day in Lompoc, it is very refreshing to hang out near the crisp ocean air.

Vandenberg Village is way boring, even though 'the city' says it isn't, but some people like that I guess. Santa Maria is where you will get most of your shopping. It's about 30 minutes away. Santa Barbara is an hour south with SLO an hour north. LA is about 2.5 hours away. If you move to Lompoc, I strongly suggest taking the time to visit Hearst Castle. It's about a 2 hour drive but so worth it.

I worked closely with police during my time there so I know that there were very few serious crimes. No homicides of any kind. There were some residential burglaries in certain areas, usually north of Ocean Ave. Gangs are in a certain area in Lompoc on F and G Street near Pine Ave and around Lompoc High School. I wouldn't advise living on Chestnut Ave or College Ave either.

The South Side of Lompoc (south of Ocean Ave) is the best place to live. It's generally warmer there, closer to the hills and less chance of petty crime happening. I rented from Tower Property Management and they were very good. Plus Property Management and Preferred Property Management also have good reputations. You should be able to find a decent home for less than $1500 a month in rent. You can PM me if you want more details.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:45 AM

Smile Thanks for those details, sav.oytruffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Hi pgrdr,

I lived in Lompoc for a year and moved about a month ago for job reasons. Lompoc is a fairly pleasant town for people who like to be in California but not in a huge city. The weather is overall nice. It's only cold if you are from the Bay Area or LA and are spoiled by the most amazing weather possible. It actually gets pretty hot in Sept/Oct. It's a good place for outdoorsy people who like to walk and bike, and wine aficionados. Wine is a very big part of Lompoc culture because of the amount of wineries in the area and in Santa Ynez Valley/Santa Rita Hills.

The beaches are cold and I do not advise ever swimming at Surf Beach. Not only are the currents too strong but there have been shark attacks. It is also closed a lot due to VAFB policy (it's on VAFB land), but if you get a chance to go on a hot day in Lompoc, it is very refreshing to hang out near the crisp ocean air.

Vandenberg Village is way boring, even though 'the city' says it isn't, but some people like that I guess. Santa Maria is where you will get most of your shopping. It's about 30 minutes away. Santa Barbara is an hour south with SLO an hour north. LA is about 2.5 hours away. If you move to Lompoc, I strongly suggest taking the time to visit Hearst Castle. It's about a 2 hour drive but so worth it.

I worked closely with police during my time there so I know that there were very few serious crimes. No homicides of any kind. There were some residential burglaries in certain areas, usually north of Ocean Ave. Gangs are in a certain area in Lompoc on F and G Street near Pine Ave and around Lompoc High School. I wouldn't advise living on Chestnut Ave or College Ave either.

The South Side of Lompoc (south of Ocean Ave) is the best place to live. It's generally warmer there, closer to the hills and less chance of petty crime happening. I rented from Tower Property Management and they were very good. Plus Property Management and Preferred Property Management also have good reputations. You should be able to find a decent home for less than $1500 a month in rent. You can PM me if you want more details.
Thank you for all of that information! I admit to feeling a little lost regarding where to live, and if in Lompoc, which sides of town. I was looking at Orcutt and Santa Maria, but our child in San Diego isn't happy about our moving even further that direction, away from San Diego, especially since there are no airports around here for commercial flights. She's afraid we won't see each other very much if we push it to more than four hours away from where she is.

It doesn't feel like we are close to a lot, so I'm starting to wonder what I'll do here for at least part-time employment. I need to do something or I will be way too bored!

Speaking of boredom, why did you feel Vandenberg Village was boring? What did you like better about living in Lompoc?

Old 10-22-2014, 01:42 PM

19 posts, read 44,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrdr View Post
Thanks for your response!

Originally from the PNW, we've moved a few times now in the last 12-13 years, all because of the economy going into the toilet and job requirements. Thus far, Alaska was the biggest culture shock, but now we've been there plenty long enough to be used to it.

We've wanted to move to CA for a few years because I've loved CA since I was a child and growing up I spent a lot of time in the state with relatives, and we have a child living in the San Diego area. Although initially we thought we were moving to the Puget Sound, despite all the friends and relatives there, six to seven months of rain a year wasn't all that appealing, therefore the sudden change in plans was a positive change!

We are definitely looking forward to this CA stage of our life adventure. Now we just have to find where to live, and I have to sell our house in Alaska (hoping we don't take a bath on the sale for the first time!) and then I, too, will be free like you described.
We lived in the Puget Sound and loved it. I understand the sudden change of plans We moved to GA and after a year found out we were moving back to the West Coast. We are not unhappy. its just a lot of moving. Yeah with the economy etc. you can go either way on housing. I'm scared to buy again.

We had thought we might go to San Diego but that didn't work out. we will actually be closer to family going to SLO area Wish you the best on your Move!

Old 10-22-2014, 01:49 PM

19 posts, read 44,285 times
[quote=savoytruffle;36955619]Hi pgrdr,

Savoy Truffle,

Great information As for Gangs any town of any size in CA or any state basically will have gangs its just a matter of the affiliations and whether people want to admit they are there. We will be moving to that basic area we found out within 45 minutes either side

Old 10-22-2014, 06:22 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrdr View Post
Thank you for all of that information! I admit to feeling a little lost regarding where to live, and if in Lompoc, which sides of town. I was looking at Orcutt and Santa Maria, but our child in San Diego isn't happy about our moving even further that direction, away from San Diego, especially since there are no airports around here for commercial flights. She's afraid we won't see each other very much if we push it to more than four hours away from where she is.

It doesn't feel like we are close to a lot, so I'm starting to wonder what I'll do here for at least part-time employment. I need to do something or I will be way too bored!

Speaking of boredom, why did you feel Vandenberg Village was boring? What did you like better about living in Lompoc?

You might be able to find employment on the base or at DenMat. DenMat is a large dental supplier company that is based in Lompoc and has been continually expanding. As a whole, Lompoc is developing more and trying to promote jobs in the area. They do hold constant job fairs and there are staffing agencies that you might look into. The local one I can think of off the top of my head is Excel Personnel Services.

Like I said though, really try to stick to south of Ocean. If that doesn't work, the east side of H Street is somewhat better other than the roads I mentioned. There are also neighborhoods around Barton Ave that are nice. Also look into Mission Hills and Mesa Oaks.

South I Street and J Street around Cypress Ave features very old Victorians. I lived off Hickory Ave. They are really nice and probably a bit cheaper than newer areas of south side, like the developments near the landfill. One of these days I might try to figure out Google Maps to show all this more visually.

As for the Village (what we call it), it is definitely nice but I am in my 20s and needed some excitement that didn't involve driving Highway 1 down to Lompoc to get to night entertainment. I could easily walk to the wine bar from where I lived, for example. No such opportunities in the Village. If you have zero interest in night or cultural activities, or you don't mind driving 5-10 minutes for those things, then the Village is nice. It is basically safe everywhere.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:37 PM

Default Thank you, homewardbound10143.

Quote:
We lived in the Puget Sound and loved it. I understand the sudden change of plans We moved to GA and after a year found out we were moving back to the West Coast. We are not unhappy. its just a lot of moving. Yeah with the economy etc. you can go either way on housing. I'm scared to buy again.

We had thought we might go to San Diego but that didn't work out. we will actually be closer to family going to SLO area Wish you the best on your Move!
Thank you for the good wish regarding our move, homewardbound20143. I do miss Washington and love the Puget Sound, and we do miss our friends and family there, but my spouse was telling me he was having mixed feelings because it's grown so much with such long commutes and intense traffic after we've become used to the slow pace of life in Alaska. We weren't looking forward to those many months of dark gloomy skies either, while the weather here in Lompoc is fabulous right now. The continual moving and changing of plans is wearing on me, probably because I'm not as young as I was. I'm just glad it wasn't like this when my children were growing up! The strength and stamina required from parents who go through so much uncertainty and frequent moves is certainly more than I have these days.

Good luck to you, too, and to all of us in these uncertain times.

Thank you for your kindness.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:46 PM

Default Thanks for all the great tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
You might be able to find employment on the base or at DenMat. DenMat is a large dental supplier company that is based in Lompoc and has been continually expanding. As a whole, Lompoc is developing more and trying to promote jobs in the area. They do hold constant job fairs and there are staffing agencies that you might look into. The local one I can think of off the top of my head is Excel Personnel Services.

Like I said though, really try to stick to south of Ocean. If that doesn't work, the east side of H Street is somewhat better other than the roads I mentioned. There are also neighborhoods around Barton Ave that are nice. Also look into Mission Hills and Mesa Oaks.

South I Street and J Street around Cypress Ave features very old Victorians. I lived off Hickory Ave. They are really nice and probably a bit cheaper than newer areas of south side, like the developments near the landfill. One of these days I might try to figure out Google Maps to show all this more visually.

As for the Village (what we call it), it is definitely nice but I am in my 20s and needed some excitement that didn't involve driving Highway 1 down to Lompoc to get to night entertainment. I could easily walk to the wine bar from where I lived, for example. No such opportunities in the Village. If you have zero interest in night or cultural activities, or you don't mind driving 5-10 minutes for those things, then the Village is nice. It is basically safe everywhere.
Thank you, savoytruffle. Your information has been incredibly helpful, and exploring the area I can see you are spot on in your advice. (I can also see already why you said you think Vandenberg Village is "boring." (<; )

We are looking for a place to live quickly because I need to get back to Alaska before my house pipes freeze! I left suddenly and since I left it dumped at least four inches of snow and dropped to below freezing at night. I sure hate to leave this weather to go back but one of us has to wrap things up there. The spouse said no to my idea of just abandoning our home and belongings and running away lalalalala-style! lol

I kept your post and keep referring to it, and I will keep this one too. In fact, I am printing it out to take with me today as we go look at more neighborhoods.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post helpful information for me, and for others to read who are on the same journey. It is kind of you and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it as it makes me feel less overwhelmed.

Again, thank you.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:56 PM

Default Gangs

Quote:

Great information As for Gangs any town of any size in CA or any state basically will have gangs its just a matter of the affiliations and whether people want to admit they are there. We will be moving to that basic area we found out within 45 minutes either side
That's true regarding gangs. It's been true everywhere we've lived, but we were never affected by them because we didn't live in their neighborhoods. Most gang activity in smaller communities is just groups of kids trying to belong somewhere and they've found it along with mentoring from older kids. The most trouble they usually cause for anyone outside their own neighborhoods are vandalism and thefts. Because they generally stick pretty close to home, their own turf, and we've always lived in neighborhoods gang kids rarely if ever go into, we've never had break-ins. That is what I would like to avoid this go-round, too. I also want to be able to be outside my house after dark without worrying about being robbed, or just hassled, so I want to avoid an "it feels fine in the day time, but avoid it after dark" neighborhood.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:19 PM

Smile Wary of home buying

Quote:
Yeah with the economy etc. you can go either way on housing. I'm scared to buy again.
I know what you mean. After being stuck left behind to prepare for sale and to sell our homes the last few times, I've refused to purchase another home for now. Since homes no longer appreciate fast enough to make a profit on them after owning them only a few years, and they cost money to maintain and then more money to sell later, I think they are pretty much a money-pit for people who are not staying put for good. Although renting is a drag because one can't make the home one's own and usually rentals are pretty generic and often not that well maintained, I just don't want the responsibility, hassle, and potential money loss for awhile!

Of course, the housing crash has really messed up the natural order (really, it was the insane appreciation of home values beyond the pale, but then it all crashed), in some places it costs less per month to own a home than it does to rent! In Alaska, it would have cost us more than our mortgage payment, home owner's insurance, and property taxes all combined to rent a place much smaller than our home and much much junkier! We would have paid $400-$600 a month more to live in a dump! That's just bass-akwards and wrong. Renters shouldn't be forced to pay more than it costs to own and maintain a home.

Property-owners are making renters pay all the costs of owning the property, including the owners' taxes and insurance, in addition to their own renters' insurance, and making a very healthy profit on top of it after taking advantage of the all the Americans forced into the rental market over the last 8 years. Property-owners are reaping all of the rewards while renters are reaping none.

I see rents here in central California are more reasonable, while the cost of owning a home is astronomical as one moves closer to LA and San Diego. It is mind-boggling what people pay for homes along the California coast.

Enjoy being nearer your family members!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California