Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 08:47 PM

720 posts, read 805,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomewardBound2014 View Post
How easy is it to get to the beach from Lompoc? Is it walking distance? Is Lompoc safe for walking or biking?
It doesn't look like it. So far the only access to the beach closest to Lompoc that I've seen is on Vandenberg AFB land and it would be a long walk from Lompoc as the town is about 10-15 minutes by car from the base. Lompoc isn't right on the beach, which is why it isn't as humid, cool, and windy as it is on the AFB. It would be a nice bike ride from Lompoc to the beach, but not a short one, and there are hills to climb. I'll have to get back into better shape for that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 11:59 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrdr View Post
It doesn't look like it. So far the only access to the beach closest to Lompoc that I've seen is on Vandenberg AFB land and it would be a long walk from Lompoc as the town is about 10-15 minutes by car from the base. Lompoc isn't right on the beach, which is why it isn't as humid, cool, and windy as it is on the AFB. It would be a nice bike ride from Lompoc to the beach, but not a short one, and there are hills to climb. I'll have to get back into better shape for that!
This is correct...you would have to drive to Surf Beach and Ocean Park, or you can bike for a while. Jalama is about a 30-minute drive because the road is winding.

For better swimming beaches, you would go to the Santa Barbara area. Refugio State Beach is off 101.

And pgrdr, I am glad you were able to use my advice. I also advise visiting some of the property management offices and talking about some of your housing needs. I found my first apartment in Lompoc doing that.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,598 times
Hi, me and my middle son are thinking of moving to Lompoc. The last post about friendliness really was. Nice I like a corner store atmosphere . I would like a hint on where the quietest neighborhood would be ,WD are thinking of renting a two bedroom duplex .Affordable rent would be great not over 900.00/ if anyone has a hookup or hint who has been in lompoc for awhile I would love any suggestions. We are nice people and stay to ourselves except for being friendly in town basically not something that would be bring down Lompoc we are a good considerate family. So thank you for your time & I really can't wait to try the fish and chips & burgers. Do you have a large grocery store, dollar stores and pharmacy's ? What about medical are there nice general practitioners ? I'm disabled because of a break in my back years ago. So anyone out there this post is almost work for the locals appreciate any & all suggestions. Email Francesca golem an piccinino @gmail.com .Have Wonderful Holidays ! Sincerely Francesca.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:22 PM

4 posts, read 15,031 times
can anyone tell me what medical care/facilities are like near Lompoc? I'm considering a move (Mesa Oaks area - I've also heard the wind is not as bad in this upper part of Lompoc) and would have elderly parents staying with me a good part of the year thus I am very interested to know what kind of medical facilities are available and the quality of care that can be expected (hopefully this doesn't require a drive to Santa Maria). Is a commute to SLO reasonable from Lompoc (I'm thinking its a bit of a stretch, something like 60 miles)? Are utilities reasonable (I believe the city operates its own power services)? any idea why there is so much "drought tolerant" landscaping (I would expect this in warmer climates)?

Thanks everyone!

Old 12-17-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimartinez View Post
can anyone tell me what medical care/facilities are like near Lompoc? I'm considering a move (Mesa Oaks area - I've also heard the wind is not as bad in this upper part of Lompoc) and would have elderly parents staying with me a good part of the year thus I am very interested to know what kind of medical facilities are available and the quality of care that can be expected (hopefully this doesn't require a drive to Santa Maria). Is a commute to SLO reasonable from Lompoc (I'm thinking its a bit of a stretch, something like 60 miles)? Are utilities reasonable (I believe the city operates its own power services)? any idea why there is so much "drought tolerant" landscaping (I would expect this in warmer climates)?

Thanks everyone!
The nearest medical facility is the Lompoc Valley Medical Center toward the south of town. I have never been there, but I've heard it's a nice place with good quality care. Sansum Clinic is located closer to Mesa Oaks and that provides family care. They have an online system where you can send messages to your doctor and request appointments, which I liked. Sansum is efficient and they respond quickly so I think you will find good care there.

A commute to SLO can be done but it would aggravate me after a while. It's an hour drive, and traffic builds up at rush hour on 101 through the Five Cities. However, it is very mild compared to the Bay Area/Sacramento/LA.

Utilities are reasonable, and yes, you pay for them through the city of Lompoc. My cousin tells me that this keeps the prices lower than if you just paid PG&E or something. I never had to pay utilities myself when I lived there, though.

Drought tolerant landscaping is present because there's a large drought in the area. It's getting better due to this year's storms but they would need a LOT more rain to get out of the drought. Basically you have that landscaping so the plants don't all die.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:12 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,756,714 times
I think Lompoc is 30-40 minutes from Santa Barbara. If the Lompoc hospital couldn't help you there is Cottage in SB and that's one of the best hospitals in the state. It's much better than Marian in Santa Maria and Sierra Vista in San Luis Obispo.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,473 times
Hello!
Would anyone be able to recommend a specific apartment community within about 15 minutes to Vandenberg AFB?
We will be temporary, roughly 6 months (husband's job), and will have our preschool aged daughter with us.

So far, I've corresponded with The Diplomat and Bay Laurel.
Would either of these be safe areas to be home alone with my daughter 6 days per week?

I have seen "moderate" crime ratings on homefinder, which worries me.

We'd like to stay in the 1200 - 1300 rent range for a 2 bed.

We will be arriving by Jan 14, so any help is appreciated!
Thank you

Old 01-28-2016, 05:54 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times
Anyone know about San Miguelito Canyon Area South of Lompoc? Is there a different micro-climate? Is it easy to build a house in this area? Probably more regulations than Texas.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Anyone know about San Miguelito Canyon Area South of Lompoc? Is there a different micro-climate? Is it easy to build a house in this area? Probably more regulations than Texas.
Yeah, San Miguelito Canyon is nice. I wouldn't say it has a different climate. I St., which turns into San Miguelito Canyon Road, ends abruptly at Vandenberg land. Honestly I've seen like 3 houses out there that aren't on the road itself. I recommend the area around Jalama Beach. Many more country homes and no Vandenberg issues, or at least not as many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California