Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 06:30 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphkramden View Post
Some of you do go on and on though don't you?

Davey Crockett huh? He died in 1836. There were only 25 states then. None west of those on the banks of the Mississippi. You know like Washington, Oregon, Colorado, California, Idaho. I believe there's some green out thar.
You must develop a sense of humor. Remember, if you didn't know it, I was born and raised In CA.

Quote:
"CA does not have": "friendly people, -- hiking, camping, fishing, boating, hunting, off-roading, museums, theaters, aquariums, and natural attractions like Ruby Falls"?

You're kidding, right?
The reference is to Ruby Falls, not all the other items. It is a huge underground water fall that to see you go INTO the mountain, drop about 200ft, walk through natural caves until you get to the falls. Incredible and nothing in CA like it. Does CA have things TN and other States do not have? Yep, and I visited many of them in my decades in CA. However CA is not the only State with incredible natural beauty. In the time it takes me to drive from where I lived in So Cal to see the many natural wonders in CA, I can see just as many natural wonders in States close to TN aside from what is in TN.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:10 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
A number of people thought I was nuts when I packed up and left for Fargo, North Dakota. My reason for moving was simple I need to work, work is a building block of who I am and who I want to be. This is a concept that has failed a certain segment of the American population. I have no desire to depend on others i.e. government for my survival. I find a certain sense of satisfaction in working hard and paying my bills.

The only thing a lot of people posting in this thread seem to bring up time and time again is geography and weather as the primary reasons to live in California. Sure California weather and geography is awesome, but it’s a last priority to enjoy if you’re facing tough financial matters. It’s also worth mentioning that lakes country is just a short drive away.
But why Fargo of all places? Did you have some connection to there? Was it the only place where you got a job offer/only place where you could find work? What do you do out of curiosity? Unlike Curmudgeon and Leonard who gave specifics, you simply seemed to use this opportunity to put down others as lazy or flaky.

Not everyone moves to a state, attracted to the climate and geography, guided by some fantasy. Some people work hard to make that dream a reality.

Oh, and by the way, that is great that you have such a great work ethic and that it means so much to you. But you don't need to go generalize and judge others. We all (or at least most of us - yes . . . even those of us who vote Democrat) find a sense of satisfaction from working hard and paying bills.

Just saying.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakandDizzy View Post
Have you ever been to the Ozarks or the Appalachian Mountains? I've been to both. Both are beautiful. Different than California but both beautiful. A competitor's website lists Southern Appalachia as the second best climate zone in the country ( I don't have to tell you the number one climate zone). The largest home in the United States, The Biltmore Estate, is located in the Southern Appalachian Mountains. I guess the Vanderbilts were just plain dumb for building there. Have you ever been to Great Smoky Mountains National Park or Shenandoah National Park? And to save highnlite the time I already concede that there are scores of areas in California more beautiful, primitive, and larger in size than both put together.
Yes, I have. They are beautiful, and there are some absolute gems there. And yes people can be very, sincerly friendly.

But living there is different. Although things have changed a LOT, there still is some of that classic "hillbilly" rural poverty that can be depressing. A xenophobia and suspiciousness that still lingers, that can make one feel uncomfortable.

Asheville is wonderful. Its a bastion of artsy-ness in a region stuck in the past. There are others no doubt. But you have to pick your enclave carefully, or you'll probably end up somewhere where you and your children will remain outsiders.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
My wife and I grew up in San Diego and we used to vacation in Montana. At some point we just made the move partially to escape gangs, all the crowds and violent crime in general. Another thing is that we like to be surrounded by lots of wildlife and love to photograph wild animals when we can.
We ran out of subject material and we have itchy feet so moving was easy even without much money and no home or jobs to go to.
All our friends thought we would be back after the first winter. That was sixteen years ago and we're still here. Some of the reasons we moved are posted below.

~♥~
I'm very happy for you. Those are beautiful pictures. But they are for the most part, scenes that could also be in the Sierras.

See this is what I don't understand. The points that Highnlite are making with pointing out with how much of California is public land available for recreation. His/her points were in response to the one poster taking about how he/she moved out to Oklahoma for more open space, few crowds, breathing room. And thats great that that poster that he/she is happy in Oklahoma.

Highnlite was pointing out that, one does NOT have to leave California to find that, if that is all they are looking for.

Now, are you looking for eastern deciduous forest with great fall colors, and very high species diversity of tress? That is beautiful and for the most part can not be found in California. Most of Californias trees are conifers/evergreens.

Yes, we know that not everyone has the time and money for recreation and find it is not worth it to live here. Understandable.

But so far, some posters have simply been posting general statements about how one can not eat scenery.

Again, thank you for those who actually gave a specific answer.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:55 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Why did you move to where you moved to and live now??
I moved to Boston because it provided the best job opportunity at the time.

Quote:
But what I want to know, is what could possibly make a Californian move to NORTH DAKOTA! Or the Ozarks or Appalachians??

Why?? Did you deliberately choose places that have changed the least and are stuck in the 50s? Because you idealize some Andy Griffith Show Mayberry mythical place??

I'm just curious, I am not judging your decision . . . just fascinated by your choices.
Not a day goes by that I don't regret moving out to the anal East Coast. My family is champing at the bit to get back to the West Coast and away from all these obnoxious self-aggrandizing New-Englanders. If you are currently in CA and thinking of moving out to the NE industrial corridor, DON'T DO IT! We are directing our every effort to getting the f**k out of this awful, frozen, dark, bassackwards wasteland of obsolete puritanical values superimposed on freakish hipster nonsense.

To think, I used to believe that Californians were full of --it. Well, even the most air-headed self-centered talentless LA diva would be a breath of fresh air at this point.

GET US OUT OF HERE!!

Oh, spent some time in the Midwest as well. Even worse. Please, everyone who is considering leaving CA, do it now and make some space for us, because we'd give a considerable number of vital organs to get back.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:18 PM

131 posts, read 167,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
You must develop a sense of humor. Remember, if you didn't know it, I was born and raised In CA.

[i]

The reference is to Ruby Falls, not all the other items. It is a huge underground water fall that to see you go INTO the mountain, drop about 200ft, walk through natural caves until you get to the falls. Incredible and nothing in CA like it. Does CA have things TN and other States do not have? Yep, and I visited many of them in my decades in CA. However CA is not the only State with incredible natural beauty. In the time it takes me to drive from where I lived in So Cal to see the many natural wonders in CA, I can see just as many natural wonders in States close to TN aside from what is in TN.
Mister, I drive a happy bus. You know what makes it happy? Me. Attitude. I know a sense of humor when I see it. And I ain't seen yours yet. You're all over this board making cracks about what sucks in California. If you think any of what you write is funny, I'm here to tell you to keep your day job. You and Darth Vader both.

You think adding your lines here and there about how much you love California and it's a great place balances your yammering -- well, it don't. I'm happy you love Tennesse. Stick with it then. Nice to find something you love. Not so great to harp on what gives you agita. You just spread it around like a bad cold.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:19 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I moved to Boston because it provided the best job opportunity at the time.

Not a day goes by that I don't regret moving out to the anal East Coast. My family is champing at the bit to get back to the West Coast and away from all these obnoxious self-aggrandizing New-Englanders. If you are currently in CA and thinking of moving out to the NE industrial corridor, DON'T DO IT! We are directing our every effort to getting the f**k out of this awful, frozen, dark, bassackwards wasteland of obsolete puritanical values superimposed on freakish hipster nonsense.

To think, I used to believe that Californians were full of --it. Well, even the most air-headed self-centered talentless LA diva would be a breath of fresh air at this point.

GET US OUT OF HERE!!

Oh, spent some time in the Midwest as well. Even worse. Please, everyone who is considering leaving CA, do it now and make some space for us, because we'd give a considerable number of vital organs to get back.
Sounds like you just took yourself there with you. No escape!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:31 PM

131 posts, read 167,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
A number of people thought I was nuts when I packed up and left for Fargo, North Dakota. My reason for moving was simple I need to work, work is a building block of who I am and who I want to be. This is a concept that has failed a certain segment of the American population. I have no desire to depend on others i.e. government for my survival. I find a certain sense of satisfaction in working hard and paying my bills.

The only thing a lot of people posting in this thread seem to bring up time and time again is geography and weather as the primary reasons to live in California. Sure California weather and geography is awesome, but it’s a last priority to enjoy if you’re facing tough financial matters. It’s also worth mentioning that lakes country is just a short drive away.
What I just wrote for Tennesse goes triple for you, Gus.

And work is over rated.
Doing what you love and find meaningful can't be beat. I make a lot of people smile when I drive bus. That's why I love it. It ain't work to me.

I'm going to guess you left California for Fargo for work related to the oil shale. You real proud of your work ethic? But you don't care whether the work has negative consequences. And people reading your self-admiration are supposed to hold you in esteem? Lotsa people have worked hard since the beginning of time. That don't mean squat. Special is doing something to make others lives go well. Oil shale do that? Your posts sure don't.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:02 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphkramden View Post

I'm going to guess you left California for Fargo for work related to the oil shale.
I’m not sure why people think Fargo is in the Bakken formation or just down the street from Williston, but it seems to be commonplace on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
But why Fargo of all places? Did you have some connection to there? Was it the only place where you got a job offer/only place where you could find work? What do you do out of curiosity? Unlike Curmudgeon and Leonard who gave specifics, you simply seemed to use this opportunity to put down others as lazy or flaky.
It was either Fargo or Omaha simply because of the low unemployment rates and vibrant economies. I took a risk with no job offer waiting. I knew no one when I moved here. My job is in health and safety.

I think you’re in complete denial if you think a certain "segment" people laying around assisted by the government have the best intentions. It could also be a California reading comprehension thing.

During the depression a number of people moved to where the work is.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:09 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
ralphkramden is my new favorite poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California