Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 64,309 times

Advertisements

hello,
So, im in college right now in upstate NY and all my life ive been wanting to move to a warmer state. I am going to school to become a math teacher so i was thinking to moving to California because CA and NY are the highest paying teaching jobs. I really want to do this but I have no one in CA to help me. I do not want to move to a bad neighborhood and i didn't want to move anywhere expensive because I wont have much money to start with since ill be having to pay back loans soon after. I want to move somewhere where i can start teaching ( a good place to teach) right away, so i was also wondering how the teaching jobs are out there.

also if there is a place that isnt to pricey and is by a beach somewhere (even if the beach is like 20 min. away) that would be perfect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 02:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeplease89 View Post
become a math teacher
thinking to moving to California
CA and NY are the highest paying teaching jobs.

didn't want to move anywhere expensive
by a beach

isnt to pricey
by a beach
While CA teachers' salaries may be higher, the cost of living is probably higher too, so you'll have to do the math.

What is the job outlook like for teachers?
Record Number of Teacher Layoff Notices - Year 2009 (CA Dept of Education) (http://www.cde.ca.gov/nr/ne/yr09/yr09rel40.asp - broken link)

What is the integral of d(cabin)/(cabin)?

Old 02-26-2010, 03:43 PM

IK but i love in NY now and the cost of living is just as high. I wanted to move to California and just looking for some info...

Old 02-26-2010, 07:26 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
First, California is a huge and ecologically diverse state.
I'm assuming that you want to live in Southern California?
And if so, are you sure about that?
Aside from the job issue (which i can't answer) ....
2 key questions are:
Where in California do you want to live?
How much can you afford to pay for rent?
Rentals on the coast (and that includes 20 minutes away!) of California (with few exceptions) are extremely expensive.
Below is a map of the counties in California so when you can be more specific about where on the coast you want to live and how much you can afford, then you'll be more prepared to ask and receive some practical answers about communities / neighborhoods, etc..
Also, you said that the cost of living in CA is comparable to upstate N.Y.?
Ummmm .... that's just not so.
Here's a link to craigslist so that you can get a sense of what rentals go for in the various counties.
craigslist: california classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
If you see an area that interests you, then you can inquire about the community and the neighborhood.

moving from NY to california help?-california_counties_map77.jpg

Old 02-26-2010, 11:28 PM

31 posts, read 102,122 times
Check out edjoin.org for CA teacher postings. Most districts use it. You could also look at private schools. They are not as strict about credentials. Your best shot will probably be rural areas that are not that glamorous or the some inner city areas. Layoffs this year will vary from district to district. Some will be decimated, others just cleaning out the probationary or temps they don't want or can't afford to keep.

Hope your degree is in Math. Districts are pushing for Highly Qualified Teacher status. If you can coach something, that's even better. That's kind of messed up, but it's about being able to sell yourself to the school and coaches are safer at layoff time.

Math and Special ed are probably the only safe subjects, but layoffs are widespread and anyone under 5 years in a district is on thin ice. I've also heard this year Special Ed will start seeing cuts because everything else is cut already and even with loss of some federal monies, it will still be cheaper to do some cuts but stay at legal coverage.

If your definition of cheap is meaning you can afford to live on your own in an apartment or studio? Rent out here for an apartment will probably be what most places would cost for a 3 bedroom house (rent or mortgage) so just figure half your pay for housing unless you are creative.

Within 20 minutes of the beach you can go from a glitzy mansion to a bullet riddled crack house.

I'd start with a job hunt, then narrow down to areas that interest you or ask for more specific details on the forum after you've searched a little for background.

Good luck

Old 02-27-2010, 12:39 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeplease89 View Post
also if there is a place that isnt to pricey and is by a beach somewhere (even if the beach is like 20 min. away) that would be perfect
Does that include the 20 minutes it takes to find a parking spot at the beach?

Old 02-27-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
First, California is a huge and ecologically diverse state.
I'm assuming that you want to live in Southern California?
And if so, are you sure about that?
Aside from the job issue (which i can't answer) ....
2 key questions are:
Where in California do you want to live?
How much can you afford to pay for rent?
Rentals on the coast (and that includes 20 minutes away!) of California (with few exceptions) are extremely expensive.
Below is a map of the counties in California so when you can be more specific about where on the coast you want to live and how much you can afford, then you'll be more prepared to ask and receive some practical answers about communities / neighborhoods, etc..
Also, you said that the cost of living in CA is comparable to upstate N.Y.?
Ummmm .... that's just not so.
Here's a link to craigslist so that you can get a sense of what rentals go for in the various counties.
craigslist: california classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
If you see an area that interests you, then you can inquire about the community and the neighborhood.

Attachment 58760

i dont live in upstate NY, I go to school there. I live on Long island and taxes are really high here so im kind if used to that...I was wondering if there was something around 1500, ill be by myself.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:12 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Where in California?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 PM

306 posts, read 759,004 times
If you're going to school in New York you will have to get re-credentialed for California. No school district accepts New York State teacher licenses even in Math and Science, except San Francisco. And with San Francisco it will be hard to find a place to live on a teacher's salary because you will have to have about an entire year's worth of income in savings just to rent anything anywhere near the City so you could get to work and then after a few years you might be able to get something closer in. I mean we're talking about teachers in San Francisco living in Sacramento and commuting on Amtrak. That's 100 miles. And no place else is hiring. This is unless you are already California credentialed. They accept nothing less than full California credentials and no reciprocity with New England the way the New England states are. If you want to take New York education and live out in California, then have a back-up plan like family or a husband to support you.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkennedy1990 View Post
If you're going to school in New York you will have to get re-credentialed for California. No school district accepts New York State teacher licenses even in Math and Science, except San Francisco. And with San Francisco it will be hard to find a place to live on a teacher's salary because you will have to have about an entire year's worth of income in savings just to rent anything anywhere near the City so you could get to work and then after a few years you might be able to get something closer in. I mean we're talking about teachers in San Francisco living in Sacramento and commuting on Amtrak. That's 100 miles. And no place else is hiring. This is unless you are already California credentialed. They accept nothing less than full California credentials and no reciprocity with New England the way the New England states are. If you want to take New York education and live out in California, then have a back-up plan like family or a husband to support you.
...or a wife, as the case may be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California