Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 14,558 times

Advertisements

Well I live in GA currently and in may ill be driving my motorcyle all the way out to Cali. I had originally planned on san diego but now i'm not so sure.. Where are the best places to live between LA San Diego and Santa Barbara? Or is somewhere else a better choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 08:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by street88 View Post
Well I live in GA currently and in may ill be driving my motorcyle all the way out to Cali. I had originally planned on san diego but now i'm not so sure.. Where are the best places to live between LA San Diego and Santa Barbara? Or is somewhere else a better choice?
What does "best" mean?
Why are you traveling to California?
What is your rental budget or house price range?
What line of work are you in?
Where do you think you will work?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 14,558 times
Well I'm moving to california to get out of the house for one and also to jump start my life. Right now I know that i want to be as close to the ocean as possible for surfing and also I'm considering a carreer involving boating, but I'm a man of ideas so i'd like an area in or close to a city so I can explore many different job avenues. At least for a year untill i'm a resident and I can get in state tuition. As far as housing, pretty low, I'm thinking around 650 a month, Possibly 700 for rent. My only other factor is that I wont have a car, just my motorcylce and I hear that LA traffic can be trecherous.. What do you think?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Well I'm moving to california to get out of the house for one and also to jump start my life. Right now I know that i want to be as close to the ocean as possible for surfing and also I'm considering a carreer involving boating, but I'm a man of ideas so i'd like an area in or close to a city so I can explore many different job avenues. At least for a year untill i'm a resident and I can get in state tuition. As far as housing, pretty low, I'm thinking around 650 a month, Possibly 700 for rent. My only other factor is that I wont have a car, just my motorcylce and I hear that LA traffic can be trecherous.. What do you think?
I think coastal southern California with no firm career plans and that housing budget is a bad idea. Without a college degree, you'll be competing with illegal aliens for jobs.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
I must say Charles and I probably had a good laugh reading this post.

All I can say is that you have some cajones! C'mon Charles we were all young and a little crazy once right? More seriously though I always say life is adventure, so if you can do it take a chance and go for it. 'But' think through it, strategize, and have a back up plan in case things go south.

I grew up surfing S. Calif. and it was really a fun time! But I also took school seriously. If you want to live out in Cali it is $$. You need to find your niche and not wind up homeless begging for change. I am not joking. I have a cousin who is homeless and surfs whenever he can borrow a board. Thats not the kind of life you want my friend, trust me. As a student you can apply for loans to help pay your way thru school.

As far as locations I would say San Diego is a good choice, plenty of good surfs and good schools. I grew up in southern LA county - Hermosa, Manhattan Beach. The waves are pretty good there and there are lot of jobs. Just avoid taking something downtown. The best thing to do would be to look for a job near the coast. Then you don't have to commute far on your bike every day in nasty traffic - not worth it! Check out Torrance for jobs.

As far as places $650 will get you a roommate a bit inland like Torrance or Lomita. Check out CraigsList and local newspapers online. In the mean time think of what you can do to work once you get in CA while in school. A lot of students/young people work construction, wait tables, etc... The weather allows for outdoor work year round if you are into that. I did some construction when I was your age while in school.

All of this is doable, but you need a plan of attack. And hopefully you can work something out with your parents. I know you are at the age where a man has to step out on his own and make his way in the world. But sometimes it is good to look back enough to acknowledge your parents whether you agree with them all the time or not. Are they ok with your move or are they totally against it? Just curious.

1. Take school seriously
2. Enjoy life - surfing, the beach, etc...

These are probably the two most important things I learned from my dad who taught me how to surf at a very young age. Don't do one without the other.

It is ok to dream, actually it is vital! But it is also important to be smart about it and plan. I hope some of this helps.

My 2c,

- Derek

Old 02-07-2008, 01:24 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
This one is easy, I say Huntington Beach itself. If you are going to do it crazy, at least go big and crazy. You can find a roommate in HB for 700

1 Room Available By March 1st (broken link)
HB Partly Furnished Room 5 miles to beach (broken link)

BTW about the moving thing with no plans, I say do your thing man.

I did the same thing when I was 22, I drove out with a beat up car, surf board, mountain bike and no money from Miami. I blew off a lot of steam then got serious about life, now I own a 800k+ house in O.C. (no rooms available )

You can do it, if it doesn't work out oh well, you go back and start over. You're 19 and have nothing to lose.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:46 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Lifes is an adventure, make the most out of it. I don't know anything about where you are planning to live except plenty of people ride motorcycles, just be carefull.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:21 PM

142 posts, read 524,004 times
Quote:
If you're serious about this move, considering the amout of monthly rental money, I would consider renting a room, it would stretch your money. Where I live on the Central Coast, you could rent a room for about $500 a month.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I must say Charles and I probably had a good laugh reading this post.

All I can say is that you have some cajones! C'mon Charles we were all young and a little crazy once right?
I may have been young, and I may have been crazy, but I knew that spinning my wheels was wasting money and time.

When you delay entry into the workforce, you aren't losing the early years' paychecks, you are losing the later years' (highest paying) paychecks. Say you start at 22 at $30K and average 5% raises per year and retire at 65. If you start at 26 at $30K and average 5% raises and retire at 65 you are losing earning years 40 through 44 (not years 1 through 4).

That's a difference of over $900K.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,734 times
Why do you want to come to California?

Stay in Georgia and go to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California