Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:33 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

You have:

• A pig
• Three dogs
• A rent budget of 550

And you want to live in Santa Barbara.

Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 86,364 times
Default Go wth god

Go For It God does it all You are the main reason that he makes sence of it when the chips are down with the war of negitive we have here that is swallowing up our country. Be different get what you want
It is never cruel if you living your personal promises

Hope to bump into you at the SB vons heeee be well be strong

i'm considering the option of moving to santa barbara early next year- currently live in central florida. will i be able to make ends meet on a small salary of 24,000/year (before taxes)?
i'm single, own a car but have no car payment, no debt and don't mind living in a small studio apartment, but without roomates. a friend of mine was able to live alone ok farther south (san diego) and he didn't make much more than i do. any help would greatly be appreciated.[/quote]

Old 12-05-2010, 11:50 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
i'm considering the option of moving to santa barbara early next year- currently live in central florida. will i be able to make ends meet on a small salary of 24,000/year (before taxes)?
i'm single, own a car but have no car payment, no debt and don't mind living in a small studio apartment, but without roomates. a friend of mine was able to live alone ok farther south (san diego) and he didn't make much more than i do. any help would greatly be appreciated.
Color me confused. You live in Florida and you are moving to Santa Barbara. How do you know you are going to get a job making the same amount of money you are making now? The economy is completely different there. What do you do for a living anyway? Maybe you can make more there.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-05-2010, 08:21 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
SB's beautiful but very pricey. Like all CA cities (even areas with low violent crime) it has property crime issues but violent crime is low. I wanted to move there at one point but found it difficult to get work there even in good economic times, as there's definitely an "old boys' network" when it comes to getting good jobs and it's not the easiest place to be an outsider. With the income you have I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:06 AM

10 posts, read 97,817 times
Josette, I don't know if you'll be able to find a place for just $550 a month. Most places go for significantly more. You might be able to find a shared rental for that amount with a few other people who each pay that much, though.

Also, it may be very tough to find a place which will allow you to keep your pig plus 3 dogs! Most landlords simply won't go for that. Conventional rentals here are probably not going to work for you either financially or pet-wise.

Then again, you could get lucky. Perhaps you'll be able to find a caretaker situation on a ranch, where you'd exchange taking care of other animals for your rent and the owner would accept your pets, especially if you have a background in working with animals or doing ranch work. Rent/work exchanges of that nature come up now and again in this area. These usually aren't any great bargain for the renter, as the time outlay required is usually pretty large.

I suggest you check the Santa Barbara Craigslist on a daily basis and run ads there. I also suggest that you run an ad describing your needs and what you have to offer in the Santa Barbara Sunday paper as well. Keep it running for five or six weekends, and see what responses you get.

That's all the advice I have for you; I do not have any specific places to offer you, nor will I. Cookies or no, please don't ask, because I am not going to hunt for you. Nevertheless, I wish you good luck. Be determined, do your homework, run your ads, and you may find something that works.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:23 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Maybe you could check into renting a room in someone's house. Rents, even for a studio, are way above what you could afford. Not sure what your net would be; but 24k gross is not even half of what it would cost to live in Sta Barbara and be able to do much of anything. What type of employment will you be seeking that will earn 24k?

Why have you selected S.B.? I am sure there are a multitude of places to live that are much more affordable for you.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:46 PM

22 posts, read 85,955 times
on such a low income, you really shouldn't come here....you'll be struggling waaay too much. I really don't think it's worth it. I know the idea of Santa Barbara living appeals to you, but trust me, it's all smoke and mirrors 'cause it's not that great here....shopping is expensive, rent, and the people are not genuine at all. Maybe not all, but 90% of them are.....me and my hubby are used to REAL, so that's why we'r emoving out of here

Old 03-31-2011, 06:08 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstheseasons View Post
on such a low income, you really shouldn't come here....you'll be struggling waaay too much. I really don't think it's worth it. I know the idea of Santa Barbara living appeals to you, but trust me, it's all smoke and mirrors 'cause it's not that great here....shopping is expensive, rent, and the people are not genuine at all. Maybe not all, but 90% of them are.....me and my hubby are used to REAL, so that's why we'r emoving out of here
By resurrecting old Santa Barbara threads, maybe you're conflicted about moving?

Old 04-01-2011, 05:30 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
That will be vary hard to do. Not impossible but very hard to do. Rent about 1200 if you want a place to yourself,and thats a dump. Jobs are low pay, crime is high, weather during the winter is great, summers are foggy and cold. One of the most beautiful places is all it has going for it. Just my 2 cents though.
there's something I've heard called the "sunshine discount" - in which despite a high cost of living, the wages in an area aren't all that high because residents are willing to get by in exchange for the balmier weather. Think of Hawaii as an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California