Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 12:04 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It will stop a lot of non California trucks from entering the state. This will reduce the amount of goods that can be shipped out of California by trucks. Supply demand will take over, and that will increase the amount charged by trucking firms and owner operators for shipping in and out of California as well as what is charged for shipping within California.

Shipping is a major factor, when companies, etc., buy from California Manufacturers. It will also cost more to bring in raw materials.

It will make California less competitive in the marketplace.
That's only a very short term thing you're talking about. In a few months new trucking companies will pop up, existing companies will update their trucks, and in short order everything will be back to normal but with a newer more modern and less polluting fleet. It's going to be an all around win for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
That's only a very short term thing you're talking about. In a few months new trucking companies will pop up, existing companies will update their trucks, and in short order everything will be back to normal but with a newer more modern and less polluting fleet. It's going to be an all around win for everyone.
And of course all this new equipment will be free and won't raise the cost of transportation.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
What people are not considering, is that the majority of the trucks that move goods in and out of California in interstate transport are not California owned trucks. They are trucks from other states, and as Canada says a lot of them are from Canada. To be on California roads, they have to meet the California standards for trucks that are going into effect.

Special California easy roll tires as Canada points out, are not good in Canada or anywhere else that they have ice and snow to contend with. They are not safe to be on those roads. This would eliminate sending trucks to California that are equipped for Northern Roads, and will eliminate California trucks from going out of state over a large portion of the country as they would not be safe on the roads. Those tires may be good in California, but would make roads unsafe in much of the U.S. in the winter. That is unsafe for both the truck driver, and for the other people on the roads.

Only the latest trucks will be able to enter California without costly modification. When the out of state trucks can travel over the rest of the country and stay busy, without having to meet California standards they will no longer go to California.

They will either have to have terminals where they unload just outside the California border, where California trucks pick up the good which increases the shipping costs, or not carry California loads. This will add considerably to California shipping costs.

One of my sons is an over the road truck driver, operating as an owner operator. He owns his own truck and flatbed trailer. He only accepts runs that earn him a good profit, and will not take low profit runs. He just traded in his 5 year old truck for a 2013, as the new one saves enough on fuel costs to make the payments each month, and that difference goes directly to the bottom line. For the past few years he very rarely will accept a load to California, because as he says the traffic through the big city areas there takes an excessive amount of time and time is money, plus the extra fuel needed makes California runs not very profitable. I talked to him on the phone yesterday about this, and he told me he has already told the dispatchers he will no longer take California runs. He has two brother in laws that are also owner operators. They and several friends have told him the same thing. The two areas he will not take loads to are California and New York City area. He can get all the loads he can handle, without having to take those destinations.

Costs of changing the trucks estimated to be $1Billion, will add considerably to freight rates in California. Those California truckers are going to have to raise their rates, to recover the costs of making he changes.

California is already seeing industry fleeing California, and those that rely on trucking will find their profit margins reduced, and many more will flee California. It will keep many types of industry from going to California. California people often think they are what drives the business world, but they are only a small part of what happens in this country. Move a company to another state and make more money, is what many are doing now, and higher freight costs will induce more to leave.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:00 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
He only accepts runs that earn him a good profit, and will not take low profit runs.
You mean like every other owner-operator out there with a normal head for business sense? What a novel concept.

Quote:
The two areas he will not take loads to are California and New York City area.
This is nothing new. NYC is such a PITA for truckers, o/o have refused loads to/from there for decades. Yet the goods still manage to get there. Amazing. You know who takes up the slack? Local bobtail drivers and the huge company trucking firms such as Swift and England. Company drivers don't dare refuse loads their dispatcher assigns them. The o/o refusing loads to NYC = a drop in the bucket.

Quote:
Costs of changing the trucks estimated to be $1Billion, will add considerably to freight rates in California. Those California truckers are going to have to raise their rates, to recover the costs of making he changes.
I'm in a trucking-related field here in Fontana. The large company fleets with yards here aren't terribly affected by the new emissions standards because their trucks tend to be newer due to regular replacement of high-mileage fleet units. One of my yard renters, a small o/o fleet, prepared for this by replacing his trucks with newer versions over the last few years. His fleet is seldom in the yard because they're always on the road doing what big trucks with reefer vans do best.

The only part I can see that's questionable is the new tire standard. The jury's still out on that one. We'll just have to see how that pays out.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:27 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
And of course all this new equipment will be free and won't raise the cost of transportation.
Do you understand that truckers buy new trucks? Do you understand that there is no surprise here? Do you understand that smart operators have been preparing for the changes?

California has been requiring pollution controls for a long long time. I guess it is the fault of the illegals

Old 01-05-2013, 05:30 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
You are both only thinking of California trucking companies. They only move a small portion of the freight that moves into and out of California. What is going to be effected, is the out of state trucks that have been going into and out of California. A load from New York to California, or vice versa as an example, is another story than moving goods around California.

As to the new tires, they are designed to work on California roads running with less grip on the roads to cut down on tires wearing down and putting rubber, etc., throwing it into the air. Less grip, is not what you need when the ice and snow is effecting roads the long haul drivers go through for half the year. Then you need high grip tires. For half the year, tires that work in California under the new regulations, will not work in much of the nation, or Canada as the Canadian trucking industry and government are saying. And the tires the truck, drivers need for safety in those areas will not be allowed on the roads in California. This will keep trucks from those areas out of California, and will keep California trucks out of the rest of the country when ice and snow is common as Canada says, those tires are not safe to use in the winter in their country.

There will be a trucking shortage in California, which will drive up prices for goods shipped to and from California. This will accelerate the number of California companies leaving the state, especially the ones that are just getting by now. They can move to Texas and have as much as 40% lower costs to do business now, and now if they are big truck users, they can save even more by moving.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,571 times
Quote:
You are both only thinking of California trucking companies. They only move a small portion of the freight that moves into and out of California. What is going to be effected, is the out of state trucks that have been going into and out of California. A load from New York to California, or vice versa as an example, is another story than moving goods around California.

As to the new tires, they are designed to work on California roads running with less grip on the roads to cut down on tires wearing down and putting rubber, etc., throwing it into the air. Less grip, is not what you need when the ice and snow is effecting roads the long haul drivers go through for half the year. Then you need high grip tires. For half the year, tires that work in California under the new regulations, will not work in much of the nation, or Canada as the Canadian trucking industry and government are saying. And the tires the truck, drivers need for safety in those areas will not be allowed on the roads in California. This will keep trucks from those areas out of California, and will keep California trucks out of the rest of the country when ice and snow is common as Canada says, those tires are not safe to use in the winter in their country.

There will be a trucking shortage in California, which will drive up prices for goods shipped to and from California. This will accelerate the number of California companies leaving the state, especially the ones that are just getting by now. They can move to Texas and have as much as 40% lower costs to do business now, and now if they are big truck users, they can save even more by moving.
I hate to say this but any increase in freight costs from my MFG facility in CA, will probably mean we close it as we ship from CA to our facilities in other States. I am currently setting up a facility where I am now with the idea of expansion. That may have to change to handling current processing.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:03 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
You are both only thinking of California trucking companies.
My point continues to elude you. Swift, CR England, Central Refrigerated, KLLM, Celadon ad infinitum are national companies. NATIONAL, and huge. Even international if you include the NAFTA loads.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:34 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Then you need high grip tires.

In snow and ice any clown running tires on his big rig will have a new nickname, Jack Knife, run chains kids on snow and ice. I cannot tell you how many jack knifed and done slid backwards big rigs I have seen on I 80 cause the drivers thought their tires would do the trick. The ones I like the best are the drivers who drive until their truck spins and sits there, or begins to slide backwards while spinning the tires forward,, those seldom end well. Cal Trans and trucking companies put pusher trucks on I 80 due to the unfortunate decisions made by truck drivers.

For half the year, tires that work in California under the new regulations, will not work in much of the nation, or Canada as the Canadian trucking industry and government are saying. And the tires the truck, drivers need for safety in those areas will not be allowed on the roads in California. This will keep trucks from those areas out of California, and will keep California trucks out of the rest of the country when ice and snow is common as Canada says, those tires are not safe to use in the winter in their country.

Look, where there is money to be made, money will be made, truckers will adjust, simple economics at work.

I hate to say this but any increase in freight costs from my MFG facility in CA, will probably mean we close it as we ship from CA to our facilities in other States. I am currently setting up a facility where I am now with the idea of expansion. That may have to change to handling current processing.

Nonsense, "Look, where there is money to be made, money will be made, truckers will adjust, simple economics at work." If there is a need for a service it will be filled, If you close there will be no hole unfilled, someone else will fill it and make money and thank you for giving him the opportunity.

Some of you guys crack me up. The economy of California dwarfs that of other states, it isn't going to become a ghost town,, unless all the illegals leave, right?

Where some of you see a crisis, smarter and more ambitious people will see opportunity.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:45 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Adding millions and billions of people to our global population without changing our dirty habits under the guise of "jobs" will leave a planet completely uninhabitable for our great-grandchildren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California