Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:30 PM

8 posts, read 41,897 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating a move from a very homophobic area in the southern Rocky Mountains and have been looking at a job in Eureka, California. Was wondering what life is like there for a gay person who is a professional and who may move with a partner? I don't want to jump right back into what I have been dealing with here and hope to find a community where one can live openly and not have to worry about extreme right wingers and prejudice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 11:22 PM

473 posts, read 1,327,636 times
Eureka is kinda the backwoods of California, and I while I wouldn't expect to find open hostility, I also wouldn't expect to be welcomed with open arms. Plenty of rednecks, hunter-types, and racists up in those parts. I'm not trying to knock Eureka, but in terms of modern-day, liberal tolerance, it is a far cry from San Francisco, or the Bay Area at large.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:42 AM

8 posts, read 41,897 times
Thanks for the information. I suspected that such might be the case but thought that with all the pot growing and a state university nearby that attitudes might be a little more "live and let live". I figure it can't be worse than Colorado Springs and southern Colorado.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I am guessing EscapeCalifornia is wrong on this one, though I usually agree with him. Eureka has always been very liberal, is only about 90 miles from the OR border and is adjacent to Humboldt State, I really don't think a gay couple would have any problems. It is anything but Redneck even though it isn't a metropoliatan area. No, it certainly is nothing like Colo Springs.
The biggest challenge you may have is being professional. This isn't saying there are no professionals in the area, of course there are, but it is more working class, very laid back, very pretty I will add and very, very liberal....also a pretty poor community.

We lived there many years ago, for us it was not a good match, for others, it is one step from heaven.

Nita

Old 08-09-2010, 11:14 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
?????

Old 08-09-2010, 11:37 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
I would find it very unlikely to find anyplace in california hostile to Gays

Old 08-09-2010, 11:43 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I would find it very unlikely to find anyplace in california hostile to Gays
Really? A majority of voters passed prop 8 two years ago and you can't imagine any place being hostile to gays? Its a big state.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:25 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
First of all, "Sick of California" and "Escape California" are apparently two different posters. I disagree with "Sick" 's characterization of Eureka as backwoods. There isn't much of a gay "scene" here (although this past weekend the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence held an event that went over well,according to the Times-Standard) but I know a fair number of gay professionals who do very well here. I don't think you'll have any problems at all concerning your sexual orientation. I would hope that you have visited at least once. Our "summer" here lasted about one day and today it's drizzling again.
Feel free to PM me if I can assist further.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
First of all, "Sick of California" and "Escape California" are apparently two different posters. I disagree with "Sick" 's characterization of Eureka as backwoods. There isn't much of a gay "scene" here (although this past weekend the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence held an event that went over well,according to the Times-Standard) but I know a fair number of gay professionals who do very well here. I don't think you'll have any problems at all concerning your sexual orientation. I would hope that you have visited at least once. Our "summer" here lasted about one day and today it's drizzling again.
Feel free to PM me if I can assist further.
I am not laughing about the weather, I wish I could say the same about here. It is miserable this year. I am smiling though, I remember when we lived there: 1 day and only one the temp climbed to 81. You would have thought it was 130 outside, Everyone was roasting, except those of us from other parts of the state. We said, Thank God for one decent day. When things got too bad we sould head south about 60 miles and go camping. We usually saw the sun a little then.

Nita

Old 08-09-2010, 03:52 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
My grandmother, who was born and raised in Eureka, could barely tolerate our summer trips to Marin because it was "too hot". The True Eurekans fear that if the temp goes over 70 you'll find their bones bleaching on the sidewalk. Nita knows...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California