Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 11:28 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,828,637 times

Advertisements

I guess these companies didn't get the move to Texas memo!

Exclusive: Nvidia plans 1 million sq ft Santa Clara campus - Silicon Valley Business Journal

Old 02-12-2013, 11:35 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,507,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Too bad they don't employ many people and all the manuf'ing is done overseas.
Further, As I recall, many of these tech companies don't pay Calif. much in way of tax :
How Apple Sidesteps Billions in Taxes
Google's tax avoidance is called 'capitalism', says chairman Eric Schmidt - Telegraph
Facebook was able to slash its tax rate by using an accounting maneuver known as the "Double Irish."
Nvidia :
This multinational company manufactures graphics processing units (GPUs) and chipsets for various computers. Their hardware covers markets from gaming to supercomputing, computer-aided design to smartphones.Here’s that multinational tech company equation again: Tech + diverse product line + global reach = > loophole use to avoid taxes. For about $1.8 billion in net profit during 2005-2009, NVIDIA only paid $41 million in taxes, or a 2.2% tax rate.
Their workaround for this was entirely legal. Like other tech firms, NVIDIA does much of their R&D over here, granting them huge IRS tax credits. Then they shill their products out to countries with a low tax rate. NVIDIA’s slogan is “NVIDIA – The Way It’s Meant To Be Played.” Oddly fitting, considering how they are playing the government like a harp.

So, hey.. If you are all for it so am I. I work for one of the valley's largest tech companies and am invested in many others. Cept', I no longer work for them in Calif nor live there. You see, private citizens don't have access to all the tax maneuvers corps do. More money for me I guess. Gluck to everyone else. It's no wonder even though people keep ranting about the small amnt of highly paid people tech employs in Calif. and the record amnt these companies make that Calif. has the highest poverty rate in the U.S and still is broke.

I always find it laughable when people cheer on a small minority of highly paid individuals/corps making tons of money and it resulting in no great advantage for them or their state.

They got the memo.. The one about tax loop holes :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Irish_arrangement
Major companies known to employ the double Irish strategy are:
Apple Inc.[4]
Facebook[6]
Google[5][6][7]
Microsoft[5]
Oracle Corp.[5]
Adobe Systems[5]

Some of Calif's best and brightest...

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 02-12-2013 at 11:46 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,411,119 times
Funny how Montclair ignores such inconvenient truths as these.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:14 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,718,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Remember when the Texas economy crashed in '83? I'll bet the doom and gloomers thought they'd never see light at the end of the tunnel again.
It did? I didn't really pay much attention to Texas back then.

Weren't we in general recovery here in CA then? Getting over stagflation?

I won't bet ya about the doom and gloomers though. That's a losing bet for sure.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:21 PM

411 posts, read 720,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Too bad they don't employ many people and all the manuf'ing is done overseas.
Further, As I recall, many of these tech companies don't pay Calif. much in way of tax :
How Apple Sidesteps Billions in Taxes
Google's tax avoidance is called 'capitalism', says chairman Eric Schmidt - Telegraph
Facebook was able to slash its tax rate by using an accounting maneuver known as the "Double Irish."
Nvidia :
This multinational company manufactures graphics processing units (GPUs) and chipsets for various computers. Their hardware covers markets from gaming to supercomputing, computer-aided design to smartphones.Here’s that multinational tech company equation again: Tech + diverse product line + global reach = > loophole use to avoid taxes. For about $1.8 billion in net profit during 2005-2009, NVIDIA only paid $41 million in taxes, or a 2.2% tax rate.
Their workaround for this was entirely legal. Like other tech firms, NVIDIA does much of their R&D over here, granting them huge IRS tax credits. Then they shill their products out to countries with a low tax rate. NVIDIA’s slogan is “NVIDIA – The Way It’s Meant To Be Played.” Oddly fitting, considering how they are playing the government like a harp.

So, hey.. If you are all for it so am I. I work for one of the valley's largest tech companies and am invested in many others. Cept', I no longer work for them in Calif nor live there. You see, private citizens don't have access to all the tax maneuvers corps do. More money for me I guess. Gluck to everyone else. It's no wonder even though people keep ranting about the small amnt of highly paid people tech employs in Calif. and the record amnt these companies make that Calif. has the highest poverty rate in the U.S and still is broke.

I always find it laughable when people cheer on a small minority of highly paid individuals/corps making tons of money and it resulting in no great advantage for them or their state.

They got the memo.. The one about tax loop holes :
Double Irish arrangement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Major companies known to employ the double Irish strategy are:
Apple Inc.[4]
Facebook[6]
Google[5][6][7]
Microsoft[5]
Oracle Corp.[5]
Adobe Systems[5]

Some of Calif's best and brightest...
Right because none of the billions of dollars these companies make (or save in taxes) goes towards things like buying real estate (like here), hiring employees, investing in R&D and IP, or other capital investments. Nvidia et al. might not hire tons of 50k/year manufacturing workers, but they do hire thousands of college-educated employees who mostly make over 100k per year, not to mention hiring ppl in other industries like marketing, law, finance, consulting, etc. (list goes on). While such high-skill jobs don't employ as many ppl as manufacturing--actually that's not really true given how manufacturing is increasingly done by machines--they still employ a lot of ppl, especially when you consider just how many tech companies are in SF/SV. Those high-skill workers make more money and do pay taxes, far more taxes than low-wage workers. And those employees don't tend to use an array of complex tax avoidance strategies to lower their tax burden

Now if you're post is just about how tax avoidance strategies for mega-corporations should be banned, that's one thing, but your post suggests Nvidia's expansion isn't a sign of good things for CA's economy. I'm sure Nvidia's expansion of 1M sq ft in office space has nothing to do with increased hiring and investment

Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
It did? I didn't really pay much attention to Texas back then.
Yes it did. Downtown Houston was a desert of unoccupied office space.

Three decades after oil bust, Permian Basin booms again - San Antonio Express-News

Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,126,956 times
Quote:
Remember when the Texas economy crashed in '83? I'll bet the doom and gloomers thought they'd never see light at the end of the tunnel again.

That was far before my time here, but it seems the "golden years" for Texas are right now. Ive been here since 96 and havent seen any type of significant crash.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,718,971 times
Quote:

Three decades after oil bust, Permian Basin booms again - San Antonio Express-News
Shoot. I wonder how many oil busts I've forgotten about or not really paid any attention to?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:31 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,126,956 times
Quote:

The permian basin is out of control booming right now. I think the difference between now and then, is that now the state is booming in other ways besides energy. Back then energy was the overwhelming factor.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:51 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,507,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
Right because none of the billions of dollars these companies make (or save in taxes) goes towards things like buying real estate (like here), hiring employees, investing in R&D and IP, or other capital investments.
Right because that amounts to big bucks in the scheme of things. So much so that with over a trillion dollars in market cap, a handful of Calif's tech titans should benefit California so much that it would be debt free... It should help California's situation so much that California wouldn't be the state w/ the highest poverty rate in the U.S. Except it doesn't. It benefits shareholders all over the world primarily and a small amount of highly paid engineers like myself...Sorry, calif. doesn't get the lionshare of the benefits and the ones you listed are a drop in the bucket.

Quote:
Nvidia et al. might not hire tons of 50k/year manufacturing workers, but they do hire thousands of college-educated employees who mostly make over 100k per year, not to mention hiring ppl in other industries like marketing, law, finance, consulting, etc. (list goes on).
I would know, I am one of those small amnt of thousands of college educated employees who makes well over 100k a year. I am thankful for my Calif. job and having found a solution whereby I don't pay any Calif. taxes. Now that we've established how it benefits me. Explain how it benefits calif. w/ all its debt and highest poverty rate.

Quote:
While such high-skill jobs don't employ as many ppl as manufacturing--actually that's not really true given how manufacturing is increasingly done by machines--they still employ a lot of ppl, especially when you consider just how many tech companies are in SF/SV. Those high-skill workers make more money and do pay taxes, far more taxes than low-wage workers. And those employees don't tend to use an array of complex tax avoidance strategies to lower their tax burden
So basically, Calif. lets the corps. dodge taxes knowingly .. lets them 'build it'.. waits for suckers to come.... and then taxes the snot out of em. Gotcha.. Which is why I left and took my highly paid job w/ me. I found a nice 'loophole' myself. B.T.W - Tahoe was lovely this year !

Quote:
Now if you're post is just about how tax avoidance strategies for mega-corporations should be banned, that's one thing, but your post suggests Nvidia's expansion isn't a sign of good things for CA's economy. I'm sure Nvidia's expansion of 1M sq ft in office space has nothing to do with increased hiring and investment
It's a sign of good things in the global economy whereby most of the demand is coming from international markets. Its a good thing for shareholders. It's a good thing for the couple thousand of people Nvidia employs.. Not sure if the bucket drop for Calif. is that great.

America isn't doing so well if you checked headlines lately :
8,830,026: Americans on Disability Hits New Record for 192nd Straight Month | CNS News

Chart of people in food stamps.. Also at record highs :

So, unless you are a tech worker (tens or thousands? hundreds) or shareholder making tons of money from this practice, I have no idea what you're cheering about.

For all intents purposes, many of these corp's money, although cheerfully paraded as being a part of Calif's GDP is anything but in Calif. or taxed in Calif.

So, cheer it on. I know I am lovin it on my end. Go Nvidia, FB, Google !

On a side note, I know tons of friends in Calif that have their net based startups incorporated elsewhere .. like Delaware.. Something about not wanting to pay Calif.'s taxes came up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California