Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,556,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
It's revealing when you consider the lengths people will travel to push an agenda, all the while feigning ignorance of something as simple as "supply and demand". Specifically, as it relates to housing:

Even though California’s richer residents face high tax rates, lower-income households are more likely to leave. From 2005 to 2011, California lost 158 people with household incomes under $20,000 for every 100 who arrived, and 165 for every 100 people with household incomes between $20,000 and $40,000. In contrast, just slightly more people with household incomes in the $100,000-$200,000 range left than came to California (103 out per 100 in), and California actually gained a hair more people in the $200,000+ range than it lost (99 out per 100 in).

Trulia Trends | Real Estate Data for the Rest of Us
This is true, as I said in another post, people move here for 6 figure jobs and bid up apartment rents, and those that get priced out leave, since almost every town makes it a PITA to build new apartments. Have you ever asked why it costs over $100/hr in labor for car repair work here, but it is hardly ever that expensive in most metro areas, because mechanics are one of those middle class jobs where people just leave it is too expensive around here, and so you have to pay the remaining people more, people here drive too, so there are plenty of mechanic jobs, and people will pay these prices, how much choice do they have? What I don't understand is why lower income people in minimum wage or similar jobs don't move with the same rates, you don't see McDonald's being forced to pay over $10 (except in San Jose and San Francisco) because of lack of employees to hire at lower rates.

I think most cities don't care because it makes housing that much more expensive, and it makes their towns seem richer to have more higher income people, and less middle income people.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:47 AM

21,760 posts, read 16,382,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Too bad they don't employ many people and all the manuf'ing is done overseas.
Further, As I recall, many of these tech companies don't pay Calif. much in way of tax :
How Apple Sidesteps Billions in Taxes
Google's tax avoidance is called 'capitalism', says chairman Eric Schmidt - Telegraph
Facebook was able to slash its tax rate by using an accounting maneuver known as the "Double Irish."
-----------------
That's unusual only in California?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,370,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
I agree. TMC in Houston is one of the top spots in the world for world-class care. I know that when Congresswoman Giffords was shot in the head in Tucson, AZ, she was sent to the Texas Medical Center in Houston and not only survived her injuries, but is expected to make a full recovery.

I don't know too many medical complexes in this country or world that could have helped her survive and recover like she has. I will say that UCSF and Stanford are probably the best that California has to offer, so they are not to be overlooked.
You can also add Anderson Cancer Center in Houston as a world class facility as well.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,914,014 times
The type of businesses which have left for low wage states tends to be in very specific industries. Mostly low wage, low margin businesses with little value added or skill requirements. Fast food, low wage electronics assembling, low value added distribution centers/warehousing jobs, etc...

Those businesses have such tiny margins going to a place where land costs very little and where wages are depressed makes sense. High skill or high value added businesses, the high paying ones a states really want to attract as they have much larger margins and are much more profitable, tend to move TO states like California due to a more educated and more productive work force. Besides low wage stuff like manufacturing really doesn't add much in the way of value unless you're in a very specialized field (like micro chip fabrication) but even then specialty manufacturing tends to create only a few high paying jobs while most manufacturing produces lots of very low paying low skill jobs.

I don't normally like Forbes (it tends to be mindlessly partisan and deliberately ignores facts which don't fit their argument) but this time they got it right. Check out this article "china makes almost nothing on assembling Ipads and Iphones: China Makes Almost Nothing Out of Apple's iPads and iPhones - Forbes

Old 02-13-2013, 02:57 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,914,014 times
BTW to bring some reality to the raving stupidity which Texans have filled this thread with here is a list of the 17 best hospitals in America: U.S. News Best Hospitals 2012-13: the Honor Roll - US News and World Report

You'll notice not a damn one of them is in Texas while the best of the best hospitals in the country are mostly concentrated in the blue states so many of you seem to hate so much.

Last edited by Think4Yourself; 02-13-2013 at 03:22 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,455,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
BTW to bring some reality to the raving stupidity which Texans have filled this thread with here is a list of the 17 best hospitals in America: U.S. News Best Hospitals 2012-13: the Honor Roll - US News and World Report

You'll notice not a damn one of them is in Texas while the best of the best hospitals in the country are mostly concentrated in the blue states so many of you seem to hate so much.
You are quite ignorant about your own link. Play around with it and you will find the TMC ranking very high across the board. Poor thing you just don't understand a damn thing about your link You are the gullible American who just take stupid stats and jump up and down without any understanding or critical thinking on how those stats were generated.

Nice try

I will help you understand it when I get back from my trip. But hopefully you will figure it out for yourself since you claim to be a think4yourself type...I doubt that you are since you can't understand your own link.

Man O Man some people need spoon feeding to understand things...UGH But even that does not work in all cases!

Last edited by TVC15; 02-13-2013 at 04:09 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 03:29 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,455,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You can also add Anderson Cancer Center in Houston as a world class facility as well.

My dear M.D. Anderson is the founding Cancer Center of the TMC. It is the highest ranking Cancer Center on planet earth.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:59 AM

880 posts, read 1,416,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
every state is trying to attract companies. how is that a bribe. texas wouldn't be as appealing to corporations if california adopted a pro-business climate.
Why wouldn't it be appealing to move a business to CA.

Come to beautiful CA, high taxes, extreme regulations on businesses, high COL, redundant bureaucracy, crowding and congestion. Yes we have wonderful natural scenery, large ports and a vibrant IT community, so If you are an IT business move here, if not, well we still want you ........... really we do,.......... truly we do, .......... we need your tax dollars.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I think there are so many great medical facilities in Texas, especially Houston that people just do not realize...I often wonder what people really think Texas is like and how many have spent anytime there?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The type of businesses which have left for low wage states tends to be in very specific industries. Mostly low wage, low margin businesses with little value added or skill requirements. Fast food, low wage electronics assembling, low value added distribution centers/warehousing jobs, etc...

Those businesses have such tiny margins going to a place where land costs very little and where wages are depressed makes sense. High skill or high value added businesses, the high paying ones a states really want to attract as they have much larger margins and are much more profitable, tend to move TO states like California due to a more educated and more productive work force. Besides low wage stuff like manufacturing really doesn't add much in the way of value unless you're in a very specialized field (like micro chip fabrication) but even then specialty manufacturing tends to create only a few high paying jobs while most manufacturing produces lots of very low paying low skill jobs.

I don't normally like Forbes (it tends to be mindlessly partisan and deliberately ignores facts which don't fit their argument) but this time they got it right. Check out this article "china makes almost nothing on assembling Ipads and Iphones: China Makes Almost Nothing Out of Apple's iPads and iPhones - Forbes
Sure they are small businesses with low paying jobs, can you say General Telephone for starters which is now Verizon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California