Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 09:07 PM

596 posts, read 937,362 times

Advertisements

yeah it sucks texas is one of the few states doing ok econonomically in obama's America. why wouldn't texas want ca's leadership. LOL

Last edited by SwampFox35; 02-12-2013 at 09:16 PM..

Old 02-12-2013, 09:08 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,445,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
California if you want, you can have Rick Perry. Alot of us Texans are fed up with his bs crap.
Rick is certainly a prick!

TX doing great has NOTHING to do with Rick Perry. He did nothing to aid in TX's economic success. All the things that have kept TX moving forward economically have been in place for a long long time.

However CA certainly could learn many economical lessons from TX.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
California if you want, you can have Rick Perry. Alot of us Texans are fed up with his bs crap.
I'm just wondering if Governor Perry's real intention or audience is really his constituents in Texas, rather than businesses and public officials in California. This really isn't any thing new.

I'm sensing that Gov. Perry's political clout kind of waned a bit after his unsuccessful bid for the Presidential nomination, and the defeat of his favored candidate Lt. Gov Dewhurst by Ted Cruz for the US Senate seat. Maybe this publicity is a way to keep his name in the papers and help maintain his political fortunes in the Lone Star State. Perry's been in power a long time and he is a pretty skilled politician, so I wouldn't count him out.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 PM

770 posts, read 1,797,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
What the hell is a "Lubbock"?

Is it some kind of fish?
LOL!! I always wondered that myself!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I don't know where you get this information.

The Brookings Global MetroMonitor has released it's 2011-2012 ranking of the largest 300 metropolitan economies worldwide, and Houston ranks the highest amongst United States cities.

SF ranks 77th in the world when comparing the largest 300 metropolitan economies worldwide.

Global MetroMonitor | Brookings Institution

Houston Ranks #40 worldwide.

Houston ranked #1 in the US!

Houston was followed by...
  • San Jose, Calif. at 46
  • Salt Lake City at 56
  • Louisville, Ky. at 57
  • Austin,TX at 61
  • Dallas,TX at 91
  • San Antonio,TX at 144
  • San Juan, the capital of U.S. territory Puerto Rico, ranked 7 in the world.
Houston economy ranked top in U.S., 40th worldwide - Your Houston News: News
Those stats don't surprise me; Houston is on a completely different level than any other city in Texas. It really does feel like a true international city and IMHO, is the Texas version of LA (without the mountains).

Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I'm just wondering if Governor Perry's real intention or audience is really his constituents in Texas, rather than businesses and public officials in California. This really isn't any thing new.

I'm sensing that Gov. Perry's political clout kind of waned a bit after his unsuccessful bid for the Presidential nomination, and the defeat of his favored candidate Lt. Gov Dewhurst by Ted Cruz for the US Senate seat. Maybe this publicity is a way to keep his name in the papers and help maintain his political fortunes in the Lone Star State. Perry's been in power a long time and he is a pretty skilled politician, so I wouldn't count him out.
You sir, hammered the nail right on the head! It is true that most in Texas don't like the bafoon. Texas only has one more year to deal with his BS before a new governor will finally take his place.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:17 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Those stats don't surprise me; Houston is on a completely different level than any other city in Texas. It really does feel like a true international city and IMHO, is the Texas version of LA (without the mountains).
Those stats did not surprise me in the least either. Houston is a very international city and has a very diverse economy. It is its own powerhouse! It is in a league of its own compared to the other cities in TX. I am proud to have spent 44 years in that city. I loved it and still do. I am happy to see it still doing so well...but I knew it would...it can't help it with all the diversity it has.

Houston has got it going on!

Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
LOL!! I always wondered that myself!
You guys are hilarious!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubbock,_Texas

I have never been there...no interest either. Houston kept me plenty busy and entertained!

Sorry no offense to those who love Lubbock, TX

Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Nope. I dont speak in absolutes either. My point from the beginning is that it aint Fresno.
East Texas:

Got a better picture? Green n humid, lots n lots of rain. Just like Louisiana/Miss/Ala. Extremely little irrigation needed. Are you now going to find someone who irrigates down in the bayous!?

Yeah ding dong, lawn irrigation, nice map, which shows exactly what Im talking about. The west and south (read: drier climate)!
I agree. Nice pics, btw. East Texas is absolutely beautiful. Being an avid outdoors-man, I find that East Texas is the perfect place for Nature lovers. You get many opportunities to see various wildlife, such as the last living dinosaurs on the planet: Alligators!

However, I appreciate natural beauty wherever it is. I love Texas, but can't wait to get back to California someday! My goal is to either be a park ranger or game warden in Cali.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,712,996 times
Quote:
I do find it kinda funny that according to the stats Bakersfield isn't all that far behind Dallas.

91st to 104th.

Last edited by Senno; 02-12-2013 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California