Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 08:58 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawblade View Post
Alturas. Cold and unforgiving. Hot with unforgiving wind blowing all summer. only store that is modern is a Rite Aid. Everthing is overpriced in Alturas. It snows and the snow melts and turns to ice. More snow on the ice for weeks. Dont plan on having a garden as it can freeze any day of the year in Alturas. Nearest place to shop for supplies is at least two hours away. Buy a four wheel drive, have chains and a shovel in you car at all times. Dont travel after dark as black ice and deer in the road are not worth risking your life. The school system is one of the worst in my opinion. I had to live in Alturas for eight years until I was old enough to move out. Plan on everyone in Alturas being involved in all of your business, very nosy people. If you like to cut lots of wood as a hobby in the summer you are in for a real treat. You need to make sure you have lots of firewood so you dont freeze to death in the winter. There is nowhere to go out to eat. Just as many bars as churchs in Alturas. Redding is great. Modern with lots of things to do. Good shopping, great reacreation. Lots of choices for housing are avaible in Redding. Great school systems and dinning as well. Trust me, PICK REDDING!!!

This right here. I go hunting and fishing up in those areas with a buddy who was born in Alturas. You basically have McArthur, Fall River Mills, New Beiber, Burney and Redding, Suzanville in the far distance.
He said he would never go back to live there. Hated his childhood there.
Most people I meet are nice but it’s in a tourist setting. . There are a few backwards morons but that’s expected anywhere. Very closed minded types. Most people therecdream of a State of Jefferson. I say good luck you’ll all be living in poverty because all those little towns have no way of supporting themselves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 10:34 AM

38 posts, read 63,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
Was very interested in Paradise but home prices have gone up in just these last few months! Still some affordable places in Magalia. So now I'm looking even further afield. Have heard two conflicting comments about dunsmuir, one nice and one negative because of noise from the trains. If anyone has more information about places in the northern parts of California, would appreciate it. What about Alturas? I am going to retire, would like quiet place in nature.
You might want to check out Shingletown. A lot of folks retire there as it is close to the amenities of Redding ( about a 45 minute drive ) has the same kind of woodsy feel like magalia with a good amount of wildlife but a bit more affordable. Definitely quieter than Dunsmuir and has less of a drug problem.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:10 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
Was very interested in Paradise but home prices have gone up in just these last few months! Still some affordable places in Magalia. So now I'm looking even further afield. Have heard two conflicting comments about dunsmuir, one nice and one negative because of noise from the trains. If anyone has more information about places in the northern parts of California, would appreciate it. What about Alturas? I am going to retire, would like quiet place in nature.
Home prices in Oroville (less than 30 minutes from Paradise) haven't gone up nearly as much or as fast as Paradise or Chico. While the town of Oroville has a good deal of homeless and somewhat... lower class people (I'm trying to be polite) there are lots of retirees in the east foothills. You can also get to Sacramento in less than an hour and a half. Much less isolated that places farther to the north.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:48 PM

36 posts, read 47,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Home prices in Oroville (less than 30 minutes from Paradise) haven't gone up nearly as much or as fast as Paradise or Chico. While the town of Oroville has a good deal of homeless and somewhat... lower class people (I'm trying to be polite) there are lots of retirees in the east foothills. You can also get to Sacramento in less than an hour and a half. Much less isolated that places farther to the north.
Which part of Oroville is more "reputable"? there seems to be many manufactured homes in either mobile parks or senior communities. Can you tell me anything about senior communities? When I buy a mobile/manufactured home in a senior community, do I have to pay rent or management fees? I use Zillow or similar sites to check out home prices, are there better ways to look? are there other smaller cities in this area apart from Paradise/Magalia that are similar. A suggestion was Shingletown and yes, it is rather nice. there are a lot of land for sale. I actually am interested in that as I just want a small house 2bed 1-2 bath. what do I haveto look out for if I want to buy land?

Old 05-13-2018, 02:51 PM

36 posts, read 47,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahme22 View Post
You might want to check out Shingletown. A lot of folks retire there as it is close to the amenities of Redding ( about a 45 minute drive ) has the same kind of woodsy feel like magalia with a good amount of wildlife but a bit more affordable. Definitely quieter than Dunsmuir and has less of a drug problem.
thanks for suggestion. It does look woodsy and green. it seems the price sare similar to Magalia. But re less of a uphill drive or similar? What do you think of Weed, Weaverville, Chester or Westwood? Or Susanville?

Old 05-13-2018, 03:42 PM

38 posts, read 63,920 times
[quote=Eriol;51882380]thanks for suggestion. It does look woodsy and green. it seems the price sare similar to Magalia. But re less of a uphill drive or similar? What do you think of Weed, Weaverville, Chester or Westwood? Or Susanville?[/QUOTE

I can't comment on the drive to Magalia as I've never been, but the drive from Shingletown to Redding and vice versa is pleasant though there are some problems with crazy drivers, but I'd rather take my chances on 44 than I5 in SoCal or the Bay Area!

I would avoid Susanville if you like woodsy environments as it is a bit drab and not a lot to do there.

Weaverville is a very pretty area but has developed a problem with theft due to drug abuse, but nothing like larger cities like Redding. Weaverville also has a very nice old fashioned downtown area and a great community overall. Their downtown July 4th parade is like stepping back in time with the whole community involved. It's a real joy to behold.

I haven't been to Weed/Mt Shasta in a long time so I can't comment on amenities, crime, etc. but it is a nice area and Mt Shasta is a spectacular sight! Never been to Chester or Westwood, so I can't comment.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:56 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,685 times
There are mobile homes for sale in the Paradise-Magalia area starting 25 K and up to 150 K.
If the land is included the price would be higher. If there is a monthly rental fee, $ 350-450, then the landscaping, trash, sewer, water bill and pool maintenance are usually included.
Some of the mobile homes look lovely, inside or outside, nice landscaping, plenty of privacy. I think if we eventually use up our savings with the ever-increasing cost of property taxes, home insurance and medicare supplements, then we could sell our current house and live in a small mobile, pay the $ 400 monthly fee and be done with the high cost of living here.

Last edited by mgforshort; 05-13-2018 at 10:06 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 10:06 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Dang! I got tricked into reading a 10 year old thread about should I move to Redding or Alturas. I think the OP made the decision already.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Dang! I got tricked into reading a 10 year old thread about should I move to Redding or Alturas. I think the OP made the decision already.
Maybe OP is still procrastinating

Old 05-14-2018, 12:55 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
Just view post #20 as the OP now - another person interested in the area, and could use more info.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California