Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,305 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I recently found out that I landed the internship that I applied to in SLO so my husband and I (and our two cats) will be moving out there this summer from the east coast. We visited once for the interview and plan to go back again before we make the move to check out towns, and specific rentals. I've done some reading about the area, but many were in regards to schools, jobs, settling down, and other things that do not apply.
My question is: what nearby towns would you suggest for a mid-20's couple with no children who are just planning to live there for a year to a year and a half? We love the idea of mild weather all year round, coming from PA this would be a phenomenal change of pace. We loved everything we saw while in CA and just want to be surrounded by the beautiful scenery and have reasonable access to hiking if possible. For a rental we are used to paying anywhere up to $1200 for a 1 BR and have set that as a cutoff.
Towns that I've tried to look into, but there is a lack of info about are: Grover Beach, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, Los Osos, and Nipomo. Any thoughts about what it's like to live in these areas, if there are parts that are not so welcoming/safe, or what the general feel is would be really helpful. We would be open to other towns/areas too, including living in SLO if we could find a reasonable rate.
We welcome anything more progressive/liberal, but please don't go on a spin about how some of the SLO and surrounding areas are more conservative. We know.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Avila Beach. Nice place.

The Village in Arroyo Grande

Morro Bay,

Cayucos

Lots of hiking handy everywhere.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:17 PM

23,541 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I agree with Avila Beach, awesome, almost undiscovered area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California