Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 12:12 AM

192 posts, read 326,665 times

Advertisements

born and raised in west LA - bay area for school and found my way back home again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 10:32 AM

880 posts, read 1,416,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Which is why you'll never see me in the Bible Belt. No need to experience that again.

I will let them know you are staying in CA. They will be soooo happy.

In CA the only "belt" is booze as far as I can remember. After enough gotta loosen their belt and then, ... please don't go to the OC beaches in a bathing suit.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,467,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
If you're a Californian and you move to the rural area of another Western state, when someone asks you where you're from simply snarl at them--"None of your gotdamn business, that's where's I'm from, buddy!" You'll get a better reaction with that response then trying to play the nice Californian and being polite and trying to make it seem like you're different than all those other mythical California stereotypes that the local yokels blame for ruining everything in their state for the last 40 years.

You can be the most libertarian self-sufficien redneck from the mountains of far Northern California, but if you admit you're from California in much of rural Oregon or Idaho anyone whose roots go back further than two generations and consders themselves a "native" are going to look at you differently, just because every other state in the West has built up such a idea about how they dislike Californians(and for most of them California just means Los Angeles). Someone from New York City gets more a pass than someone from California just because of this mythology...
Same thing in the South, and that's probably why we see certain ''ex-pats'' here so much.... they musta made the mistake of telling their neighbors where they were from (if their Cali ''accent'' didn't tip 'em off)!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,722,324 times
That's commonly refered to as "white lightning" in your neck of the woods, Leonard.

I consider myself a non-native native Californian. Lived here since I was 7 and have no connection to Washington really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Same thing in the South, and that's probably why we see certain ''ex-pats'' here so much.... they musta made the mistake of telling their neighbors where they were from (if their Cali ''accent'' didn't tip 'em off)!
Personally I have found my okie (general for Kansan, Missuran, arkie) background helpful as I can slip in southern very easy, and that's what you hear some about the valley in many places. It's confused some in Idaho, so they weren't that mean to me cause I kinda sounded like them. There's more than a few dust bowlers descendants up in Idaho still. That's where my parents were born.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Senno is knowin that Idahoans and Missourans ain't all that welcoming to Californians that move to those places. I have family in both states. Some people will spite ya just for your license plate. Some will like ya, though. Some just judge ya right off and never change their minds.
Gotta tell you about my first experience here.

Turning around on a side road, paved, and backed into a ditch which runs along a lot of the roads. Great; called a friend had a tow truck on the way. In the mean time the sheriff gets the call and I never see him, he alerts traffic around the curve in the road, which was near and tells them a car is blocking one lane so be careful. EVERY car stopped to ask if they could help. Old, young didn't matter AND I still had CA plates on my truck.The sheriff then drove away after I was towed out of the ditch.

Now In CA everyone would have made rude gestures, honked and the sheriff would have given me a ticket. Especially if I had TN plates on (back only).

My favorite thing is going to a restaurant and all the waitresses say; "Hi darlin (or sweetheart, etc), how can I help you". In CA it is no where near as much fun.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:23 AM

So then do you go and ruin it by mentioning where you're from (or do you keep that part a secret)...?! If nuthin' else, surely your ''accent'' must give you away...

Or is it more like mentioning ''Kalifornia'' just becomes a good excuse for an impromptu Cali-bashin' session, TN style!!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
So then do you go and ruin it by mentioning where you're from (or do you keep that part a secret)...?! If nuthin' else, surely your ''accent'' must give you away...

Or is it more like mentioning ''Kalifornia'' just becomes a good excuse for an impromptu Cali-bashin' session, TN style!!
I tell them where I am from and they go "how nice, I would like to visit CA one day".

No bashing as CA isn't that important to them. Kinda like a place they heard is nice to visit, but not anything spectacular, so no hurry.They is poolite and nice mannered heeya. Have never heard anyone in Tn speak as abusively of CA as a few on this forum speak of my neighbors. Maybe something to do with "class" and CA is becoming a "class less" State.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,722,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
Gotta tell you about my first experience here.

Turning around on a side road, paved, and backed into a ditch which runs along a lot of the roads. Great; called a friend had a tow truck on the way. In the mean time the sheriff gets the call and I never see him, he alerts traffic around the curve in the road, which was near and tells them a car is blocking one lane so be careful. EVERY car stopped to ask if they could help. Old, young didn't matter AND I still had CA plates on my truck.The sheriff then drove away after I was towed out of the ditch.

Now In CA everyone would have made rude gestures, honked and the sheriff would have given me a ticket. Especially if I had TN plates on (back only).

My favorite thing is going to a restaurant and all the waitresses say; "Hi darlin (or sweetheart, etc), how can I help you". In CA it is no where near as much fun.
Well bless your heart, Leonard. Was you a typical bad LA driver?

You should know that I'm an insurance adjuster and have investigated many accidents that the cops were called on but didn't respond to cause there was no bodily injury involved. There's a great chance you'd of not gotten a ticket for backing into a ditch.

Personally I'da gotten out and helped you by pointing out the ditch there and telling ya to watch out for it in future.

My waitresses at Perko's do the same thing. We have some friendlies here also, Leonard.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:44 AM

21,760 posts, read 16,386,231 times
Quote:
I tell them where I am from and they go "how nice, I would like to visit CA one day".

No bashing as CA isn't that important to them.
Not like it is to you apparently.
Quote:
They is poolite and nice mannered heeya. Have never heard anyone in Tn speak as abusively of CA as a few on this forum speak of my neighbors. Maybe something to do with "class" and CA is becoming a "class less" State.
Except yourself, of course. Speaking of class.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:

No bashing as CA isn't that important to them. Kinda like a place they heard is nice to visit, but not anything spectacular, so no hurry.They is poolite and nice mannered heeya. Have never heard anyone in Tn speak as abusively of CA as a few on this forum speak of my neighbors. Maybe something to do with "class" and CA is becoming a "class less" State.
Actually things have been slowly improving here in that department, ever since a lot of the "riff-raff" have started engaging in "self-deportation"!

Poor leaving California at higher rate than wealthy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California