Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 11:09 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
I don't support all outside smoking bans either.

I find on the beach that people who object to the smoke have room to move away in general. Only if you are in your home or otherwise tightly confined will I listen to an anti-smoking argument in general.

You should be able to smoke yourself to death if you want to, just not in my face or personal space.
The fire rings are only preset at the southern section of HB from what I can see on Google maps. Where they are present, they occupy a strip near the parking lot leaving lots of sand upwind of them. This is very different than having your home filled with smoke from a neighbor where there's little air volume or movement to dissipate it. Besides, wood smoke, in reasonable concentrations, smells a hell of a lot better than cigarette smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 11:13 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Primitive even! But you ain't lived 'til you've dived into a pile of leaves then smelled the odor of them burning.

Actually, for the most part we mulch them. But some still get burned, just not a lot. Gotta get my leaf fix, dontcha know.
That's your pants you smell on fire Grumpy. Diving into a pile of burning leaves will do that every time.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:25 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
That was my point.

How many people who support outside smoking bans take a complete about face when it comes to banning fire pits?

All of the arguments against breathing SHS apply to breathing wood smoke......if you ban one, you should ban the other.
Interesting.... Indeed it is a slippery slope.!.. Heck I find scented laundry detergent offensive, along with perfume.... Possibly those should be banned in public places too... (bad idea yes!)

Or I could take the argument that tobacco smoking is different, and the hazard of second hand smoke is deeper issue...

Just as the leaf pile evokes fond memories, the smell of tobacco smoke evokes memories, for the legions of folks that broke the terrible awful addiction to smoking....

Possibly the danger of tobacco smoke is a mental danger, such as commercials of glamorous people smoking being used to push the addictive substance? Possibly not allowing smoking in public is more about not getting kids addicted, by seeing it is socially acceptable...??..

Not a lot of folks get physically addicted to camp fire smoke. ya know....

So I see the two as different... Though I did not say I am for or against public smoking bans.. I do not think the second hand smoke argument holds up outside.... Other arguments to stamp out tobacco addiction in society do hold up in debate.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:33 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The fire rings are only preset at the southern section of HB from what I can see on Google maps. Where they are present, they occupy a strip near the parking lot leaving lots of sand upwind of them. This is very different than having your home filled with smoke from a neighbor where there's little air volume or movement to dissipate it. Besides, wood smoke, in reasonable concentrations, smells a hell of a lot better than cigarette smoke.
Which is why I'm happy to have fire rings in place in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California