Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:44 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

American Samoa saw diabetes and obesity appear almost out of nowhere back during the Kennedy Admin., when the US protectorates in the Pacific were included in federal food give-aways for the poor. Suddenly canned goods started to arrive, and people's diets went all haywire. Use to be fish-based. Became canned pork-based, SPAM, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 02:49 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,461,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But that's nothing new. That's been a problem for decades, generations, probably. So why all of a sudden so much publicity, and such a big public flap about fatties, and the US percentage of overweight people going through the roof? Aside from kids spending too much time playing videogames, what's the problem? Why wasn't there this big hue-and-cry 30 years ago? Maybe that's partly what LBJ's "War On Poverty" was about...? But still, there seems to be an awful lot of fussing about fat people on this forum, that seems unwarranted. I just don't see that many fat people. Some people here say it's a regional thing; mostly in the South and MidWest.
Probably more iike a cultural & economic thang. And IMO, folks on the coast just generally seem to take better care of themselves. So when I relocated from Seattle to the North State, was astonished to see how common smoking and serious obesity are around here. You can't hardly pull up to a car at a light and not see the driver in front sitting there sucking on a cigarette, and ''big girls'' are definitely the ''norm'' here! Probably not coincidentally because Butte County is also one of the poorer counties in the state, and I'm talking about mainly ''anglo'' folks (here mostly descended from the Okies and other ''sons of the South''), so that's before we even get into the eating or health habits of the ''immigrant'' population!

I also do a fair bit of volunteer work with the disabled & social services, and diabetes is a huge issue all over this area. And heck, I've never met so many folks before, who've had those operations where they tie off part of your stomach (ack)!!

Old 03-27-2013, 02:50 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
But that's nothing new. That's been a problem for decades, generations, probably. So why all of a sudden so much publicity, and such a big public flap about fatties, and the US percentage of overweight people going through the roof? Aside from kids spending too much time playing videogames, what's the problem? Why wasn't there this big hue-and-cry 30 years ago? Maybe that's partly what LBJ's "War On Poverty" was about...? But still, there seems to be an awful lot of fussing about fat people on this forum, that seems unwarranted. I just don't see that many fat people. Some people here say it's a regional thing; mostly in the South and MidWest.
That's the difference. The kids are very much not interested in leaving the comfort of their video game systems, computers, laptops, and smartphones, which are obviously exponentially more prevalent than just a few years ago, let alone 30. And just like some of us plinking away on their machines right now, they're munchy-munching away on any and all of those yummy goodies that mercilessly entice all who wait in line at Fry's, since they know you have to have a stash of such near the 'puter at any time. Accelerating rates of Diabetes is definitely a "growing" problem.

Did somebody say that "F" word again? How rude.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Probably more iike a cultural & economic thang. And IMO, folks on the coast just generally seem to take better care of themselves. So when I relocated from Seattle to the North State, was astonished to see how common smoking and serious obesity are around here. You can't hardly pull up to a car at a light and not see the driver in front sitting there sucking on a cigarette, and ''big girls'' are definitely the ''norm'' here! Probably not coincidentally because Butte County is also one of the poorer counties in the state, and I'm talking about mainly ''anglo'' folks (here mostly descended from the Okies and other ''sons of the South''), so that's before we even get into the eating or health habits of the ''immigrant'' population!
Right. (Where is the "north state", btw?) That's why I said the map someone posted should break down the info by economics and ethnicity. I know that info's available somewhere. On some of the other forums here, people post as if the entire country were going obese, but I don't see it that way. It makes more sense if it's still relatively confined to lower economic strata (though someone disagreed with me on another forum about that), and ethnicity.

Maybe the big fuss about it the last few years relates to kids getting Type II Diabetes, due to a sedentary lifestyle. Still, in universities, I don't see a sudden surge in fat students.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:05 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Maybe the big fuss about it the last few years relates to kids getting Type II Diabetes, due to a sedentary lifestyle. Still, in universities, I don't see a sudden surge in fat students.
It ain't the college kids, it's the ones who never even thought about going to college, or were discouraged from entertaining the thought.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:07 PM

The ''North State'' mostly seems to be the standard euphemism used in local radio, TV, etc. to distinguish the less populated and more ''northerly'' parts of ''NorCal'', like roughly Yuba County and parts north (individual interpretations may vary). I usually think of it as the North Sacto Valley, compared to say, its coastal analog, the North Coast. In any case, look at the national data, and type II diabetes is reaching epidemic proportions.

Diabetes epidemic out of control

Old 03-27-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
It ain't the college kids, it's the ones who never even thought about going to college, or were discouraged from entertaining the thought.
I'm getting much more rational responses on this forum than on the "World" or Relationships forums.

Yeah, that's what I thought. But all kids stay home and play video games, not just low-income ones.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
rm'' here! Probably not coincidentally because Butte County is also one of the poorer counties in the state, and I'm talking about mainly ''anglo'' folks (here mostly descended from the Okies and other ''sons of the South''), so that's before we even get into the eating or health habits of the ''immigrant'' population!
This is enlightening. And before this trend, the talk used to be not about "immigrant" populations, but about those most prone to diabetes: Blacks, Hispanics, and Native Americans. I don't know about urban Natives, but many of the reservations have federally-funded diabetes education, prevention and management programs. They teach healthy cooking, they have exercise programs, all kinds of things. Youth programs that include bicycling and running programs, lots of stuff.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:33 PM

IMHO it really is mainly a cultural issue, and a matter of what's ''accepted''. Just generalizing of course, but for example my buddy who moved here from Arkansas a few years ago, who likes C/W music, boots, and the 'southern lifestyle', but is still pretty well-educated and makes a good salary, got divorced just last year. And he prefers dating ''big girls'', who I would less politely refer to as ''overweight''. And of course the CDC population maps largely reflect that same pattern, that obesity is much more common in areas with strong populations of ''southerners'' (and their descendants).

Old 03-27-2013, 07:49 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,351,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Veboot View Post
I believe that is rude. I believe "fat" is not a nice term to be using.
You used the term fat in your initial post. The aforementioned 'fat sign'... we're still awaiting clarification on that one.

Quote:
These people have got different bodies that's all. Beautiful bodies.
Different bodies? We all have different bodies, no? Beautiful bodies? Regarding any body type... strictly eye of the beholder. Some like 'em tiny, some prefer 'em medium, some heart 'em large.

Quote:
Here is something my husband said for me to say: You go to the bank to get your money and some man says, uh uh, you got to go down the block for that, we just aren't in the mood to give you your money today.
Since your husband's doing all the 'speaking', can you put him on please. I had to read this bloody paragraph 5 times to understand your English & his point.

Quote:
Ironic thing is my one friend who is female and curvaceous, she actually had some stock in one of the places they gave her funny looks at. She ended up buying a belt but when she went back to return it they gave her the run around.
Ironic? What's ironic is you NOW know MORE people who can't shop in stores for being too curvaceous & are given the stink eye if they're not barricaded out? Is there some Yahoo group from where they all come? Dear lord, woman, do you know anyone who has normal everyday consumer experiences?

Most stores give 'the run around' on returns or refunds. It's to discourage returns, from thin, medium, full-bodied, young & old men & woman.

And, why are all your friends & social circle assuming their weight is the reason they can't enter shops or get refunds? Were they flashed fat signs, too... drats, that f word again. If any of this were true, your 'friends' seem to be the ones having issues with their weight, not the other way 'round.

Quote:
No wonder Californians got such bad reps in Hawaii Islands and they try to kill them.
There's no end to the humor in this thread. Let me get your list right...

1) Not okay for Californians to commercially discriminate against large-boned people... or Hawaiians... or especially, large-boned Hawaiians. Do not give them stink eye or close up shop on them (see below).

2) But, if those pesky, scrawny Californians do, beat them to death with Prada purses... last season's markdowns... that'll teach 'em. Besides, they have 'bad reps', which is why Hawaiians 'try to kill them', justifiably so.

How do your friends do when perusing the candy or bakery isles? Stink eye? Flashed fat sign? Blimey... the f word... Locked out of markets?

And, your husband mentioned banks. Are they in on this conspiracy, as well? Are curvaceous women being tossed from banks en masse? Deposit refusal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California