Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 PM

12 posts, read 16,466 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if I break any rules!

So I'm a Virginia resident, and I'm going to be moving in late summer to the Los Angeles area. I've been all over California before and I'm confident that I want to live there permanently.

I was going to go to community college there, and then transfer to a UC. I can afford out-of-state tuition for the community college, but I'll need in-state tuition if I want to get my bachelor's.

My problem is that my parents will be paying for the bulk of my living expenses until I graduate, and they'll still be based in Virginia, which is apparently a no-no. Can that be overlooked if I am living there year-round, have a job and go to school there, and immediately change my driver's license, insurance, bank, etc. to California?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Residency requirements are very strict. Doesn't look good for that plan. Here's the rules for UCSD, but they're the same for all UC's:

Criteria to Establish Residence for Tuition Purposes

Old 03-29-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Residency requirements are very strict. Doesn't look good for that plan. Here's the rules for UCSD, but they're the same for all UC's:

Criteria to Establish Residence for Tuition Purposes
Darn it! Well, it's still possible I guess, as my father wants to move back to California, but he still can't give me any idea of when that might happen. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
CA is a lot stricter than some other states in this regard. The financial independence criterion is a toughie. If you'll be going to community college, you can get at least a part-time job, and start paying California taxes, and demonstrating your future intent to become a permanent resident of CA. If you get a really cheap place to live, like sharing a room with someone, you might even be able to become financially independent. Pay out-of-state tuition the 1st year of CC, and in-state tuition is so cheap, you could probably swing all your living expenses just off a part-time job, maybe along with tuition, the 2nd year. Think positive, give it a shot. Rent someone's basement or garage, or treehouse, and get one of the utilities put in your name. There's gotta be a way to pull this off.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-29-2013 at 09:19 PM..

Old 03-29-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
CA is a lot stricter than some other states in this regard. The financial independence criterion is a toughie. If you'll be going to community college, you can get at least a part-time job, and start paying California taxes, and demonstrating your future intent to become a permanent resident of CA. If you get a really cheap place to live, like sharing a room with someone, you might even be able to become financially independent. Pay out-of-state tuition the 1st year of CC, and in-state tuition is so cheap, you could probably swing all your living expenses just off a part-time job, maybe along with tuition, the 2nd year. Think positive, give it a shot. Rent someone's basement or garage, or treehouse, and get one of the utilities put in your name. There's gotta be a way to pull this off.
Well, if I could get somewhere that pays approximately $10 an hour (I figure that with classes I'll have time for 25 hours p/week max), I could pay for everything except the classes and books, which my parents could pay for twice a year. Would that still count as financially independent?

I want to do theater, so maybe I could just get away with an Associate's? Then I wouldn't have to worry about tuition at all, because I wouldn't be moving onto a UC.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:22 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Become an illegal alien and you'll be given admission and in-state tuition.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:14 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
You basically need to establish a domicile in California for one year, show financial independence and not have been claimed on anyone's tax returns as a dependent for the previous two years (if under age 24).

Old 03-30-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
You basically need to establish a domicile in California for one year, show financial independence and not have been claimed on anyone's tax returns as a dependent for the previous two years (if under age 24).
This got me thinking, along with the OP's question about getting an AA degree.

OP, you could get your AA, get a job for two years so you can get off your parents' tax return as a dependent, THEN apply to a UC. Those two years off from studies could give you a better idea of what you want to do for the last 2 years of college (if you decide to go back).

What aspect of theater are you interested in? For acting, mainly what you need is talent. But busting into acting is difficult, and in the meantime, you need gainful employment. These days, it's best to have a BA to get even a halfway-decent job. What I would recommend is to research your question after you get to CC in CA. Contact people in the industry, and ask them your question. And your college instructors will undoubtedly have an opinion. At this point, keep all options open.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This got me thinking, along with the OP's question about getting an AA degree.

OP, you could get your AA, get a job for two years so you can get off your parents' tax return as a dependent, THEN apply to a UC. Those two years off from studies could give you a better idea of what you want to do for the last 2 years of college (if you decide to go back).

What aspect of theater are you interested in? For acting, mainly what you need is talent. But busting into acting is difficult, and in the meantime, you need gainful employment. These days, it's best to have a BA to get even a halfway-decent job. What I would recommend is to research your question after you get to CC in CA. Contact people in the industry, and ask them your question. And your college instructors will undoubtedly have an opinion. At this point, keep all options open.
You're right, that's sort of what I was thinking too (I just couldn't verbalize it nearly as well, haha).

I think I'm interested in acting (haven't tried it in a long time so not sure), but I'm also interested in basically any film-related job. I would be happy to just be on a set. I have some contacts from my dad's days in the industry, mostly related to physical special effects unfortunately (a dying breed because of CGI), but I would have a foot in somewhere....

Thank you for the advice!

Old 03-30-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubberry View Post
You're right, that's sort of what I was thinking too (I just couldn't verbalize it nearly as well, haha).

I think I'm interested in acting (haven't tried it in a long time so not sure), but I'm also interested in basically any film-related job. I would be happy to just be on a set. I have some contacts from my dad's days in the industry, mostly related to physical special effects unfortunately (a dying breed because of CGI), but I would have a foot in somewhere....

Thank you for the advice!
Well, it wouldn't hurt for you to study about computer tech in relation to the film industry, then. I hear animation pays really well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California