Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 11:57 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,138,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
This mess isnt going away soon. If the judge rules for a hair cut to pensions you can bet this will be appealed all the way to SCOTUS.

Living in Stockton I'm rather enjoying the show. The *******s of this city just elected a mayor with no business experience other than running a Boys and Girls club. I just laugh.

FYI home prices are starting to tick up because both the live and shadow inventories havebeen reduced greatly. Just like I predicted 24 months ago.

Interesting.....at least the inventories have been reduced. The bay area is booming too, so that'll spill over (again)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 12:31 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,479,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Life tends to be a self-regulating process. When it acts unsustainably it is forced to react or die. No worries. Just time to react in correction. Bumpy ride? You'll get over it. Or, you can die. I'm going fishing (again). Wu-wei, dudes and dudettes.
The problem is that the government can't just go out of business they way a poorly run burger joint can. The taxpayer always winds up paying for the poor judgement and outright corruption of elected and unelected officials. You know the pension system is out of control when even Willie Brown says they went too far and gave away the store.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:36 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,405,318 times
So what's new? The people paying for things royalty does? Let me look that up.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
So what's new? The people paying for things royalty does? Let me look that up.

Someones gotta pay...

Old 04-03-2013, 06:05 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,458,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Because... In my opinion and the opinion of the majority of voters in the state.... We find many of the alternatives even more alarming...!!!

Proposing people that do not think as you do "having no desire to educate themselves" is plain and simple arrogance on your part....

Think about the words you wrote for a second... You are looking for conflict..! So silly to say "no desire to educate yourself" LOL.... Dah? Maybe some of us come from a different "school" of thought...

Why not try and simply state your opinion without putting others down.....? Jeez... Nuff already!
Take your own advice for once.

Put someone down? Are you for real?

No need to take it personally when I suggest that someone educate themselves on the issues that plague this state.

Again I am thankful that you are not eligible to vote in this state. But if you do move here please educate yourself on the issues that plague CA.

Pension reform is a must for this state. It needed to happen a long time ago. Why is it such a difficult concept for people to grasp?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
You misunderstand my response and jump to unsubstantiated conclusions. I remember you engaging in a number of controversies with certain other members. Those members are no longer able to respond to your outrage. I repeat: Elvis's have left the building. Fire marshall's orders. TOS prohibits further explanation.

You also speculate about me personally without knowledge. As I recall you have been in California about 3 years. 47 years for me. I'm going to stick with my knowledge of California and its issues and challenges over yours for now. Thanks for your concern though.

As read on the tail of many car bumpers "have a nice day".

Funny the pot calling the kettle black.

You are the only one who misunderstood what I posted and none of it was my outrage. It is my business and my concern as a resident of this state.

I don't care to just go with the flow that has been sinking this state nor be an ignorant voter at the polls.

It is time for many to wake up to the reality of what is wrong with this state.

Who cares if you have been here 1 or 50 years? It is not rocket science to understand what is wrong with this state or what it will take to turn it around.

Try living in a well-run state and then return to this poorly run state and let’s compare notes...and not about the nature but about the economics.

Thanks I do have nice days on most days.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:48 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,371,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
These pension issues are relatively new and have created budget issues all over the state. Reform is absolutely needed. Public employee unions are out of control grabbing all they can and not giving anything back even if it flirts with disaster. In the old days the pensions were used to attract people into public service who may have opted for the private sector. Great, then they went to far in a hot, but temporary economy. Now how do you real them in? Those public sector wages and benefits swung to far that they are now the good jobs, not the private sector jobs in many cases. The private sector jobs cant compete in benefits/vacation/sick time/pensions. How about a 401k?? How about you contribute to your retirement. How about higher minimum ages for pensions at least....
Uh, most government employees do contribute around 5-8% of their pay to their pension funds and government also contributes a set but lesser amount. Think of them as being analogous to 401Ks which governmet rarely contributes to.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,405,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Funny the pot calling the kettle black.

You are the only one who misunderstood what I posted and none of it was my outrage. It is my business and my concern as a resident of this state.

I don't care to just go with the flow that has been sinking this state nor be an ignorant voter at the polls.

It is time for many to wake up to the reality of what is wrong with this state.

Who cares if you have been here 1 or 50 years? It is not rocket science to understand what is wrong with this state or what it will take to turn it around.

Try living in a well-run state and then return to this poorly run state and let’s compare notes...and not about the nature but about the economics.

Thanks I do have nice days on most days.
You continue to misunderstand. I offered you a simple explanation why you are not being engaged in the outrage you plead. Now since your favorite antagonists haven't shown up to play you characterize me as being ignorant? You don't know how I vote.

The question isn't who cares if I have been here nearly 50 years to your 3. The question is who cares if you don't like the way California is run?

I don't need to "live in a well run state and then come back to poorly run" California. I've been happy as a clam ever since leaving the Minnesota 47 years back. Works for me. Find what works for you and go for it.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:51 PM

Yep nothing to change in CA... it's doing just fine

California Poverty Rate Highest In Nation Based On New Census Department Figures

Here is some good advice on how to NOT run a Pension

http://news.goldseek.com/MillenniumW...1360789260.php

Old 04-03-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Uh, most government employees do contribute around 5-8% of their pay to their pension funds and government also contributes a set but lesser amount. Think of them as being analogous to 401Ks which governmet rarely contributes to.
Most of the unions have negotiated such that the employer pays the employee part. Not only that but most have withdrawn from social security, so most who worked their careers and retire at the early age of 60 will get a minimum of 90% of their highest pay while contributing very little to their retirement. Not all but state employees enrolled in CALPERS. Pensions anywhere close to that in the private sector would be extremely rare,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California